Sachs is gone...

Ouiji Veck

Has anyone had success getting a Sachs rebuilt?

Could I get a name and address for service?

Quoted replacement $750...!!

Every 9000mi?

just stick ice pics in my eyes.

Guzzi needs to get back to the basics.

If you Make it bullet proof they will come.

02 LeMans...blown shock...thats just sad.

Guest ratchethack

Txrider, I'm in touch recently with Todd Eagan at GuzziTech re: Wilbers fork springs (thanks again for another reference on springs, Dave!). Among his many other moto-related roles, Todd is the authorized Wilbers Rep for (I think) the West Coast. He'll be getting back to me later this week. Seems Todd's been on the road a lot recently. I'll be asking him about Wilbers rear springs & shock also. Will advise, maybe we can do a group buy as you suggested.

BTW - For those who know Todd, he's an interesting Guy. He was in a vintage flat-track race over the weekend riding an Indian 250 Scout. He said a Pro rider went down in front of him. He said he managed to jump the bike but landed on the rider. :o He didn't say if the Pro was able to walk away from this, but mentioned he (Todd) was able to remount with sore ribs and keep up with the leaders a lap down. Sounds like fun, huh? <_<:huh2:

For about $500 you could probably get a shock with no remote resevoir, or compression damping.

But with rebound damping and preload.

Wilbers in Germany offers

model 640-519-00

for 429,Euro

and

641-519-00 with remote resevoir and high/Low compression damping

649, Euro

I believe that is the same that Todd advertises.

If you can get the shock measurements Works performance Shocks can build just about anything.

For starters the measurements are 276mm eye to eye. I think the travel is 60mm or 65 mm, but I am not sure.

I have a new spring on order for my Sachs of which I have two, because I wanted to reduce down time. When it gets here the original with 27,000 could be yours for $100. It is well battered around the preload rings.

Unless you weigh 150#s or less the stock spring under sprung.

I had mine set to zero static sag and about 3/4 inch of total sag and it would still bottom like crazy. I am about 210lbs+++

Are you sure your shock is shot and not just under sprung?

Does changing the rebound damping from minimum to maximum do nothing?

I don't know if Lindemann Engineering rebuild Sachs, but they re-done the valving and spring for a couple of people on the list.

If it needs new seals you may be out of luck for a rebuild....but you could ask them.

Guest Bruce

Have you tried any of the MX oriented suspension shops? Having one's suspension professionally set up has become de rigueur these days so there seems to be a small industry catering to riders looking to 'buy a game'. What I've seen a shock rebuild runs about $250 ( I am planning to have my KTM lowered so I can touch the ground with my feet rather than other body parts ).

The Factory Connection was recommended to me by the dealer ( www.factoryconnection.com ). I don't know if they'd touch a Sachs but they might know who would.

Guest Nogbad

My Sachs isn't leaking, but the little rubber dust scraper over the rod seal has cracked and can't possibly be effective anymore. Seems to have suffered the same fate as the rubber inlet connectors.

The last bike I had that was "polymerically challenged" so to speak was an old Commie built MZ. You would have thought a high end Italian bike would have decent plastic and rubber......

LE does rebuild the Sachs shock. I've had mine re-valved, re-sprung and am happy with the result. YMMV.

Lindemann Engineering

54937[/snapback]

Thats what I wanted to hear.

Thanks Lex..

With all these shock problems I'm surprised there

isn't a general go-to guy...

I just don't have the $$$ to go to Nova Scotia

in 3 weeks for 9 days and put on a new shock.

Great forum...thanks all.

Weeping shock? Sorry but you ain't got long.

I'll get back about how things transpire.

I have a loacal old racing buddy I haven't seen since

the '80s thats into rebuilding MX shocks.

He's going to look into getting the details on the Sachs

and get back to me tomorrow. I'd rather not go the California

route but I love the idea of someone thats done 'em before.

I'll keep ya posted. (Wasn't too bad taking it out.)

Here is another option:

Hagon M67033 $375 or $435(US)with custom spring and valving.(not sure how custom)

Ha%20Mono3_380w.jpg

USA http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/cgi-bi...MONOSHOCKS.html

UK http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/HagMono.htm

It is a little limited in adjustability, but the price is excellent!....And the spring is RED!!!

54997[/snapback]

After the Sachs unit lower eye breakage I use the Hagon for a year now. Compared to the Sachs with its hard spring I am satisfied with it.

Hagon's spring seems more progressive.

I had to adjust the spring nut 6 revolutions stiffer.

Personally I think Ohlins is the best, with good external adjustment possibilities,

which, bear this in mind, Hagon has not.

Greetings from Holland, Co :nl:

After the Sachs unit lower eye breakage I use the Hagon for a year now. Compared to the Sachs with its hard spring I am satisfied with it.

Hagon's spring seems more progressive.

I had to adjust the spring nut 6 revolutions stiffer.

Personally I think Ohlins is the best, with good external adjustment possibilities,

which, bear this in mind, Hagon has not. 

Greetings from Holland,  Co :nl:

55152[/snapback]

Did you get a custom spring and valving for the Hagon, or did you just go with what they stocked?

I suppose the sag numbers are good after you adjusted the preload.

The Hagon is cheaper, and the spring is RED! :grin:

But yah, nothing would compare to a good shock like the Ohlins, Wilbers, HyperPro, Elka, Penske, Works, etc.

I guess you get what you pay for, more or less.

hello dlaing,

I bought the Hagon with standard spring.

Actual sag (without rider) is better compared to the Sachs.

Both front and rear now have the same sag.

Greetings from Co :nl: