Bicycle Computer

Guest MikeC

Guest MikeC

I have a Cate-Eye Astrale 8 bicycle computer. I found a good spot to mount the computer but I'm having a hard time figuring where to mount the pick-up.

Can any of you please describe how you did it or better yet provide some pictures as well.

Mike

capurso1@optonline

Mike

search on "SIGMA" in the forum.. I put a CatEye on my kawa Concours and the dang thing would reset about 65-70mph.. I switched to SIGMA

The SIGMA is good "to infinity and beyond" as Buzz Lightyear would say..

Cheers, Tim

Mike- definitely get a sigma. It goes up to 150+ mph. Tomorrow, I'll look to see if I have any pictures, but basically I put a rare-earth magnet inside one of the round holes on the brake rotor (JB Weld keeps it there) and mounted the pickup just inside the fender.

Guest MikeC
Mike- definitely get a sigma.  It goes up to 150+ mph.  Tomorrow, I'll look to see if I have any pictures, but basically I put a rare-earth magnet inside one of the round holes on the brake rotor (JB Weld keeps it there) and mounted the pickup just inside the fender.

55919[/snapback]

I got the Cat Eye for a great price and this one is their top of the line, good up to 175 mph.

I mounted the pick-up at the base of the right fork and put one of the small radio Shack rare earth magnets on the rotor but it didn't work. I need a larger magnet.

Mike

You might not need a bigger magnet- I also used the Rat Shack rare earths. The thing is- those magnets are highly directional. You need to put them on 'edge' so the flat part is oriented at the pickup. There is very little magnetic field along the cylinder- only out from the ends. The pickup needs to be just a centimeter or so away from the disk surface. The closer, the better.

If that still doesn't work, I'm going to order some magnets and other stuff from McMaster-Carr here in a couple of weeks. Let me know and I'll order an extra Samarium/Cobalt magnet. That will save you $$ in shipping, anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tdurik

Mike,

What model Cat Eye did you install? I tried a Enduro 8, but it turns out it's only good to 65mph :( I then installed a Sigma Sport BC1600 and it works flawlessly! :D

I got the Cat Eye for a great price and this one is their top of the line, good up to 175 mph. 

I mounted the pick-up at the base of the right fork and put one of the small radio Shack rare earth magnets on the rotor but it didn't work.  I need a larger magnet.

Mike

55936[/snapback]

Guest MikeC
Mike,

What model Cat Eye did you install? I tried a Enduro 8, but it turns out it's only good to 65mph  :(  I then installed a Sigma Sport BC1600 and it works flawlessly!  :D

56391[/snapback]

Astrale 8. Accurate to 175 mph. I have it installed and it works great.

One limitation to the sigma, and most likely all magnetic pickups, is the length of the lead.

I use the stock lead down to the front wheel on my V11 and it works fine. I lengthened the lead on my Eldo and ran it to the rear wheel. On that setup, the speedo fluctuates sometimes, giving ridiculous speeds. Just FYI.

Another good source for powerful little magnets: Sonicare toothbrush heads. Seriously. The head has two very strong little black rectangular magnets that come off easily. I'm pretty sure they're more than strong enough to work with a bicycle computer. I'll be doing this myself very soon because my speedo/odometer/trip meter can't agree on anything. I recently figured that 115 highway miles equals 97 Guzzi miles on my odometer. As for the trip meter, I can't figure out whether its measuring distance in kilometers, cubits, fathoms or furlongs. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it was somehow measuring in hectares or hogsheads. Then there's the speedometer... It says I'm doing 75 mph, but my wife following in the truck says I'm doing 85+.

Guess I'll use the same description that I use when trying to explain all the other Guzzi quirks:

"Well, its, um, Italian."

Guest MikeC

The Cat Eye Astrale 8 has a longer than most wire to the pickup so that was not a problem. Had to tuck some away. It comes with a Cadence pickup also, just snip that wire off where the two pickup's split off the main wire.

I used a rare earth magnet from McMaster Carr. Nickel plated 1/2" Diam. 1/4 Deep. I believe it has a 7 lb pull rating. Very powerful little sucker. Just the pull of the magnet is enough to keep it in place on the base of the brake rotor. I used a piece of thin sticky back tape behind it just for a little extra insurance.

Guest tdurik

I have one of those too on my Trek. The only reason I didn't buy the Astrale 8 for my v11 is because you can't manually set the odometer reading. I've only had the v11 for 3 weeks and the speedo cable already broke at 235 miles! The speedo cable on my California also broke shortly after purchasing it...

Astrale 8.  Accurate to 175 mph.  I have it installed and it works great.

56393[/snapback]