Comprehensive V11 Torque Values

Guest Fly4hire

Guest Fly4hire

I've seen the references here and checked them out, but there are still values lacking that I'm scratching my head where they derived from.

I just finished my first service valves/head torque on my V11 using the down loaded manual and http://www.geocities.com/motoguzzi1064/ as a reference, and other than Lex's site, there is no reference to the 15 ft/lb for the 10mm allen cover for the allen head bolt.

The cover was on considerably tighter than that - almost the same as the head bolts themselves, however I could easily envision this being done to both the cover and the bolt underneath at the factory.

I use a beam torque wrench for dissasembly when there is little guidance to get my own "feel" if there is nothing else. There are no values posted for the valve adjuster lock nuts, but they appeared to dissasemble at 10-15 ft/lbs which seems reasonable.

Any gudance/reference on top of what is already availible here would be appreciated :luigi:

I experienced the same problem and finally resorted to using standard torque for a given size fastener and some info out of my old oilhead BMW shop manual for common applications like brake calipers. I found the LM easy to work on but not having a complete list of torque values was frustrating.

Guest Nogbad

You can't rely on the torque needed during disassembly. Stiction between the parts increases with things like thermal cycling and corrosion. Whilst the dismantling torque for hardened threads immersed in oil, like a valve adjuster, would probably not change too drastically from the original tightening torque, for fasteners exposed to corrosion, it wouldn't bear much relation IMHO.

If in doubt, you could always use the guideline that us 50's riders used (no money for a torque wrench back then). Tighten it till the threads strip and then back off 1/4 turn. :D:D:D

Seriously, I think it's safe to use the torque specs for a particular bolt size if nothing else is specified.

Guest ratchethack
You can't rely on the torque needed during disassembly. Stiction between the parts increases with things like thermal cycling and corrosion.

56217[/snapback]

Exactly right. If I had used the same torque re-installing that was required to break loose some of the things I've taken apart (stuff that needed long cheater bars with all my weight, and sometimes another guy's too, along with heat, tapping, and penetrating oil), I'd have gone maybe 5-10X over-torque putting them back together... :o

Sure would be nice to have complete torque specs for V11's, but I haven't found a decent chart yet... The manuals are pretty basic and limited. <_<

Guest Nogbad

Sure would be nice to have complete torque specs for V11's, but I haven't found a decent chart yet...  The manuals are pretty basic and limited. <_<

56224[/snapback]

I suspect that the Luigis don't use 'em at the works, so why would they require torque values when servicing the bike......

I've mentioned this before- I have a writeup of torque values for the V7/T3/etc, and those values work for the V11 as well (std. size nuts). Email me for it, and I think Greg Bender (Loopframe guy extraordinaire) has it on his website as a download.

update- I looked on his website: Download them here!

thanks Greg!

Guest ratchethack

I've got both a shop manual and a copy of Guzziology. Between the two I can find all the torque spec's on the "big stuff". No problem there. For the small stuff, if I can't find it, I use "standard values" listed in the manual and get 'em "in the ballpark" - but you're never certain on some things that aren't listed. There are many things that V11's need torques on that you can't find in the charts for Tonti's. For example, I stripped out a handlebar clip-on allen bolt by over-torquing it :homer:, and had to get a replacement clip-on because the stripped piece doesn't have enough "meat" around the threaded part of the forging for a heli-coil. Or is the clip-on a casting? - In any case, I'm pretty careful, especially when torquing into the *unknown*, but it was a lot softer than I expected :blush: What seems to be lacking is a comprehensive list for latter-day Spineys with the 6-speed box that shows more of the small stuff too. I guess I'm spoiled by manuals I've used on many (but not all!) other vehicles I've owned that seem to include torques for nearly everything both on a master chart, and in the procedure...