oil pressure light indicator

jorcalle

Hello everyone!!, after wanting to own a red Le mans for a long time, I finally got one a couple of weeks ago. I am very impressed and happy with the bike so far but as always, there is something some little issue that needs to be fixed.

In my case the oil pressure indicator light remains on up to 1200 rpm when cold and up to 1400 when is really hot out there, meaning over 90 degrees!!, I checked the oil level as instructed in the manual and it seems to be ok. I have been paying attention and it always goes off over 1400 rpm. Iddle speed at the moment is only 900 rpm. I understand it should be between 1000-1200 rpm. The bike has only 100 miles so far and other than that is rolling really well. Is this something I should be very concerned about and if so, what would fix the problem. Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Jorcalle

Guest ratchethack

Jorcalle, yours is just one more example of what seems to be a recent plague of this lately. :o One of my pals is deep in the middle of dealing with this right now, and another has a "partial problem" that isn't going away. One of the longtime Guzzi wrenches who occasionally haunts this Forum says that by the time you see the light come on (assuming the sensor is working properly), the damage is already done, since the light only comes on at very low pressure. So this might not be a "little issue". You've got to nail this down asap, or be at risk of torching your crankshaft &/or other fatal-category stuff. Don't mess around, and don't run the engine. A 900 RPM idle is too low and puts your engine at risk even when everything is working properly, especially at high temps.

I'd start by replacing the oil pressure sensor to see if this solves it. They've had a history of occasional unreliability. Fortunately, this is the most likely cause and if memory serves, they're about $10. You can do a search on recent posts here that cover this pretty well. If a new sensor doesn't do it, as a next step you can put a pressure guage in the threaded hole where the sensor comes out for a more thorough analysis of exactly what's going on.

At just 100 miles I'd be concerned about potential accumulation of babbett metal swarf and/or errant little machining flakes that may not have been effectively flushed out in the manufacturing process. This is probably the longest of long shots - and nothing more than sheer speculation at this point - but one little chunk in exactly the wrong place could be holding the pressure relief plunger open. If the pressure reads low on the guage at idle RPM (1050 +/- 50), I'd drop the sump and do a check of both the oil pump and pressure relief valve to ensure free operation of the plunger. By the long history of bulletproof reliability on these last 2 components over literally many decades, they're about as close to 100% indestructible and foolproof as any mechanical device can be, but it's relatively easy to check them, and at least you'd have peace of mind knowing they're OK.

Your best, most accessible "local" resource and Parts Guy is probably Todd Haven at MPH Cycles in Houston (281) 579-8885 or (281) 647-6557.

Best of luck! :luigi:

Thank you so much ratchethack, for your advice and comments. Now, this is a BIG!! dissapintment that a brand new bike, of which I had such great expectations could bring a problem like this. I assume the warranty will cover all the expense related to fixing this problem, am I right? do you think this is problem is fixable in for the long run?..thanks again...jorcalle

Jorcalle, yours is just one more example of what seems to be a recent plague of this lately. :o  One of my pals is deep in the middle of dealing with this right now, and another has a "partial problem" that isn't going away.  One of the longtime Guzzi wrenches who occasionally haunts this Forum says that by the time you see the light come on (assuming the sensor is working properly), the damage is already done, since the light only comes on at very low pressure.  So you've got to nail this down asap, or be at risk of torching your crankshaft &/or other fatal-category stuff.  Don't mess around, and don't run the engine.  900 RPM is too low and puts your engine at risk even when everything is working properly, especially at high temps.

I'd start by replacing the oil pressure sensor to see if this solves it.  They're known to be unreliable.  Fortunately, this is the most likely cause and if memory serves, they're about $10.  You can do a search on recent posts here that cover this pretty well.  If a new sensor doesn't do it, as a next step you can put a pressure guage in the threaded hole where the sensor comes out for a more thorough analysis of exactly what's going on. 

At just 100 miles I'd be concerned about potential accumulation of babbett metal swarf and/or errant little machining flakes that may not have been effectively flushed out in the manufacturing process.  One little chunk in exactly the wrong place could be holding the pressure relief plunger open.  If the pressure reads low on the guage at idle RPM (1050 +/- 50), I'd drop the sump and do a check of both the oil pump and pressure relief valve to ensure free operation of the plunger.  By the long history of bulletproof reliability on these last 2 components over literally many decades, they're about as close to 100% indestructible and foolproof as any mechanical device can be, but it's relatively easy to check them, and at least you'll have peace of mind knowing they're OK.

Your best, most accessible "local" resource and Parts Guy is probably Todd Haven at MPH Cycles in Houston (281) 579-8885 or (281) 647-6557.

Best of luck! :luigi:

56470[/snapback]

Guest ratchethack
Now, this is a BIG!! dissapintment that a brand new bike, of which I had such great expectations could bring  a problem like this.

Slow down there, Pardner. You don't know how much of a disappointment you've got yet, let alone what flavor of a problem... I didn't mean to scare you to death, but at the same time I'm concerned that you might cause damage under these circumstances. For all we know, there hasn't been any damage yet. You're in a high risk zone right now alright, but that doesn't mean you're hosed. There's still plenty of daylight...

Take your time and go after the easy & cheap stuff first, then you'll start to focus in on exactly what you're dealing with. If it were me, at this point & with what we know now, I wouldn't be too eager to drop this in the lap of the dealer. Reason being, I like to keep my bike on the road as close to 100% of the time as possible. My Pal was without his Guzzi (and without a diagnosis!) on this same thing for 3 weeks (or was it 4?!) at the local dealer. Riding time lost can NEVER be recovered, my friend. To me it has high value, and I don't like to waste it needlessly. I'd call Todd and get his read on it. He'll probably suggest a new sensor and he's probably got one he can ship you today. If you can turn a wrench without stripping threads, you can install it yourself without much fear of violating the warranty. Chances are that for ~$10 this'll get you back on the road PDQ. If not, you can make the decision at that point to let the dealer have at it. In any case, I'm pretty confident that any significant costs will be covered.

But that's just me, and of course and as always, YMMV. -_-

Thanks a lot for taking the time to advice. I will follow directions and hope for the best!. Will keep you posted on developments!

Slow down there, Pardner.  You don't know how much of a disappointment you've got yet, let alone what flavor of a problem...  I didn't mean to scare you to death, but at the same time I'm concerned that you might cause damage under these circumstances.  For all we know, there hasn't been any damage yet.  You're in a high risk zone right now alright, but that doesn't mean you're hosed.  There's still plenty of daylight...

Take your time and go after the easy & cheap stuff first, then you'll start to focus in on exactly what you're dealing with.  If it were me, at this point & with what we know now, I wouldn't be too eager to drop this in the lap of the dealer.  Reason being, I like to keep my bike on the road as close to 100% of the time as possible.  My Pal was without his Guzzi (and without a diagnosis!) on this same thing for 3 weeks (or was it 4?!) at the local dealer.  Riding time lost can NEVER be recovered, my friend.  To me it has high value, and I don't like to waste it needlessly.  I'd call Todd and get his read on it.  He'll probably suggest a new sensor and he's probably got one he can ship you today.  If you can turn a wrench without stripping threads, you can install it yourself without much fear of violating the warranty.  Chances are that for ~$10 this'll get you back on the road PDQ.  If not, you can make the decision at that point to let the dealer have at it.  In any case, I'm pretty confident that any significant costs will be covered.

But that's just me, and of course and as always, YMMV.  -_-

56481[/snapback]

Guest ratchethack

Jorcalle, lest we both fly off in all directions prematurely:

You have checked your oil level with the bike LEVEL, no? -_-

ratchethack, looking at my original message, I said, " the light goes off at 1400 rpm"....I meant the light turns off always over 1200-1400 rpm so, over that engine speed, there is correct ( I assume ) oil pressure...just wanted to clarify. Thanks for your patience!!! Its my first non Japanese bike!!!

Absolutely sir!!!....and yes I have.

56493[/snapback]

Guest ratchethack
I meant the light turns off always over 1200-1400 rpm so, over that engine speed, there is correct ( I assume ) oil pressure...just wanted to clarify. Thanks for your patience!!! Its my first non Japanese bike!!!

56494[/snapback]

Roger that. This is not remotely acceptable. As long as your oil pressure sensor is suspect (and your symptoms suggest it is), you can't assume you have correct oil pressure - and therein lies the rub. You call Todd yet?! -_-

My pleasure. This ain't no "downstream" bike, my friend. :glare::grin: BTW - Welcome aboard, keep those "Great Expectations" alive (where's Chuck Dickens?) :D , good luck, & get back to us with your progress. :thumbsup:

Roger that.  This is not remotely acceptable.  As long as your oil pressure sensor is suspect (and your symptoms suggest it is), you can't assume you have correct oil pressure - and therein lies the rub.  You call Todd yet?! -_-

My pleasure.  This ain't no "downstream" bike, my friend. :glare:  :grin: BTW - Welcome aboard, keep those "Great Expectations" alive (where's Chuck Dickens?) :D , good luck, & get back to us with your progress. :thumbsup:

56500[/snapback]

I agree, that is why I am really concerned. I will check with Tod tomorrow first thing and it is certainly not a downstream bike at all. Hopefully I will fix this one and the expectations will remain!!! thanks for your great assistance and help!!