How to drain the oil ?

frogonwheels

Hello,

Question #1 : in the back of the pan, there are two bolts. What are they and which one should I undo to drain the oil ?

Question#2 : if I removed the round cover at the bottom of the pan, is the oil filter difficult to remove?

Thank you for any help and advice.

Terry

PS: Question # 3 : Has anyone ever used a tubeless tire repair kit ? At the BMW dealer, they had a kit with a " complex " tool to insert a mushroom plug, then gas cartridges to inflate the tire. Does it work?

The manual shows which drain plug to remove. The oil filter requires a filter wrench put on the end of a ratchet.

The BMW tire repair kit should be in everyones tool kit. A month ago I was with 4 bikes, 60 miles from the nearest town when a buddy on his big K bike ran over a chunck of bottle on the road. Not a puncture, more like a 1" cut to the tire. It did take 3 of the rubber inserts, but it worked, and the tire is still being used today. The best $25us a person could buy.

Ciao, Steve G.

Question #1 : in the back of the pan, there are two bolts. What are they and which one should I undo to drain the oil ? 

A:  The bolt at the center apex of the pan would be the one.  It has a built in mag-pick up too.  I would remove the plug, drain the oil and inspect the plug for any metal accumulation before proceeding to question two.

Question#2:  if I removed the round cover at the bottom of the pan, is the oil filter difficult to remove?

A:  It is not difficult if you have the right size hex insert (27mm) to remove the oil filter cover.  Of course you want to change the oil filter when you change the oil.  You will want a cap style filter wrench to get the filter off through the sump cover.  Common belief (with reason) is to drop the entire pan your first oil change and periodically to ensure there is no funk/crud build up in the bottom of the pan left over from luigi's assembly (I assume this is your first change being a '04).  Dropping the pan is not very hard, just a lot of bolts.  Be careful and you can re-use the gasket w/o leaks seeps multiple times.  Addend benifit of dropping the pan is it is easier to get the filter off and re-install.

PS: Question # 3 : Has anyone ever used  a tubeless tire repair kit ? At the BMW dealer, they had a kit with a " complex " tool to insert a mushroom plug, then gas cartridges to inflate the tire. Does it work?

A:  Fortunatly, never had to use one.  I assume your looking for one for emergency recovery use only...

57328[/snapback]

Tons of information here on your questions, just do a board search on oil change, sump cover, etc.. :luigi: