Oil on my Crossover?

wildbill

Hey folks, I did a search on the topic and is everyone in agreement that the oil buildup on my crossover is probably sourced from the the engine breather hose? I believe it's engine oil cuz it doesn't smell funky like gear oil. It's building up on the crossover and it stinks like burnt oil when I park the bike. Not enough to drip on the floor though, but it's building up a crud layer. '00 V11 Sport.

Another question, I was thinking of picking up a carbed '96 Sport. What are the pros/cons of the '96 1100 vs a V11? I assume the V11 is more comfortable to ride. Ant thoughts on this? Thanks all! Bill. :bier:

One other possibility is the big breather hose that comes up out of the bell housing and connects to the spine frame is loose at its lower connection. Oil will drip down into the bell housing and fall out the weep hole at the bottom and onto the crossover.

Another question, I was thinking of picking up a carbed '96 Sport. What are the pros/cons of the '96 1100 vs a V11? I assume the V11 is more comfortable to ride. Ant thoughts on this? Thanks all! Bill.  :bier:

57843[/snapback]

I have never ridden one, but from what I understand, the V1100 gets better fuel mileage, and is more stable. I suspect overall it would be a little cheaper to own because of the carbs compared to the fuel injection plus PCIII.

The Pros for the V11 are a little more power, especially off the line, and quicker handling.

As for comfort, a stock V11 has higher bars, but whatever you get, it is trivial to change the bars. Also, the shorter wheelbase will probably make one feel the bumps more on the V11.

I think the 6speed gearbox is superior, but that is debateable as the failure rate is probably higher than the 5speed. Centering spring and linkage setup as well as the right gear oil makes the six speed happy.

Another question, I was thinking of picking up a carbed '96 Sport. What are the pros/cons of the '96 1100 vs a V11? I assume the V11 is more comfortable to ride. Ant thoughts on this? Thanks all! Bill.

Re the 96 carb Sport vs the V11 - I have owned both. The v11 is way more comfortable for me (5'11", 175 lb). The stock carbs on the Sport are tough to tune properly and had I kept the bike I would have installed flat slides. Pete Roper has often addressed the apparently high rate of gearbox failures on the carbies. In my opinion the carb Sport is the much better looking of the two but overall I would opt for the V11. :2c:

Thanks all for your informative replies. I scraped the crud off my x-over and went for a high speed blast, came back and sure enough there was a frsh drip - wiped it up with my finger, took a whiff and sure enough it appears to be tranny oil. So my next question - is replacing that seal a major or minor task? Thanks for your help on this. You guzzi guys RULE!! :bier::mg:

It depends on where it is leaking from.

If it is the shaft seal, it may not be very easy.

The first thing to do is find out where the leak is coming from.

Clean every seam you can get to.

A digital camera aimed up and under after the crossover was off, helped me pinpoint it, after I needlessly sealed up the left side. :doh:

But, the left side cover is easy and popping it open gave me a chance to check the pawl spring.

The rear cover is a bit more difficult since you have to pull the rear swing arm.

You may be able to just tighten the case bolts to stop the leak.

If it is the inner-case, it is alot more work.

When I had a leak, I did the left cover first, but it still leaked from the inner case, so I pulled the rear wheel and swing arm off, pulled the rear cover off, considered doing the inner case, chickened out and just tightened all the bolts holding the innercase tight, (a couple of the bolts were not very tight, so I had a chance that tightening them would stop the leak, but it was a gamble) sealed the rear cover with non hardening gasket cement,(no gaskets) put it all back together, prayed that the leak would stop, and it did. :D I am even running RedLine Shockproof Light synthetic, and no leaks! :bier: