Speedometer angle drive?

bigbikerrick

The photo shows the cable where it enters the transmission. The rod at the top is the throttle linkage. Be careful not to straighten the angle too much or it will bind on the rod. Just past that point is where the cable goes up under the tank.

The new replacement cable has supposedly corrected this problem - I'm keeping mine as a spare. :D

58159[/snapback]

Ralph, is that photo of the "new and improved cable"? because mine doesnt look like that, yours goes s traight in to the tranny, mine has a plastic housing where ut enters sort of like an angled

drive housing, I think it has a little shaft with a gear inside. Doe your bike have the white faced veglia speedometer or the newer black one?

Ralph, is that photo of the "new and improved cable"? because mine doesnt look like that, yours goes s traight in to the tranny, mine has a plastic housing where ut enters sort of like an angled

Mine is a black faced speedo ('03 Rosso) and the photo is of the original cable housing. I straightened out the angle, and put in a Crown Auto inner cable ($4.00 or so) well lubed with oil and moly. In 7,000 + miles it still seems to be working fine. It sounds like your bike already has the "new improved cable". Lubing it up real good should do the trick. :2c::2c:

The biggest problem with this bevel drive unit which connects the speedo drive to the gearbox, is that it sometimes disengorges itself of it's worm gear [of course while moving, so it flies off into the ditch]. The end cap on some of them was not crimped/melted up enough, and the cap flies away allowing the gear to fall out. Best to get yours, and get a solder gun or such, and just touch it around the end to plastic weld it shut better.

Ciao, Steve G.

The biggest problem with this bevel drive unit which connects the speedo drive to the gearbox, is that it sometimes disengorges itself of it's worm gear [of course while moving, so it flies off into the ditch]. The end cap on some of them was not crimped/melted up enough, and the cap flies away allowing the gear to fall out. Best to get yours, and get a solder gun or such, and just touch it around the end to plastic weld it shut better.

Ciao, Steve G.

58185[/snapback]

Thanks Steve, I will check that end cap in the morning. Today I unscrewed the cable housing from the speedometer, pulled out the inner cable, and lubed it up real good. The last 8-9 inches near the tranny seemed to be dry, road tested it and it still bounces some (about 2 mph distance), but only below 30 mph, above 30, the speedo needle is steady. Thanks, Rick.

Guest Nogbad

My white face veglia equipped bike has always had a perfectly steady needle no matter how fast or slow I go, so it isn't every bike.

• 1 year later...
Guest ratchethack

Pasotibbs, it's been my experience and that of a few others that the staked-on disk that's an interference fit in the angle drive housing, has a disturbing tendency to pop out, which will promptly launch the worm gear, along with the entire cable, on the road -- as mentioned by Steve above. <_< Unless you happen to be watching the speedo at the time, you won't know until you find the needle at ZERO whilst underway. I've taken the precaution recommended by others, and epoxied the disk in place with J-B Weld. :thumbsup:

May I recommend lubing the cable from the top end, which will extend its service life. By the experience of many, they are known to break when they go dry. No need to worry about lube migrating upward and fouling the instrument. The helical winding of the cable housing will ensure that the lube migrates downward into the trans. I use trans lube, which won't pollute the trans, and seems to work just fine.

I have lost part of the angle drive as well. Housing bottom falls off innards escape. Cheaply made, incorrectly assembled, cheap materials. And it costs a fortune. I would strongly recommend that you try and secure the base stays in place as suggested.

Guest Mattress

I have lost part of the angle drive as well. Housing bottom falls off innards escape. Cheaply made, incorrectly assembled, cheap materials. And it costs a fortune. I would strongly recommend that you try and secure the base stays in place as suggested.

This is what our important leaders in industry call "value added engineering". I don't know about Guzzi, but our rule of thumb is a service part has about a x7 markup over what the factory pays to get it to you, the end customer. :bbblll: