What the anonymous think, and WHO CARES?

Guest ratchethack

Guest ratchethack

For some reason I’m feeling crotchety today :angry: , and this after an outstanding ride in the mountains this morning with my Guzzi Bruddah, LeMans Dan, too.

Speaking of crotchety, come to think of it, Roper would likely spare the rant and just say something like, “Bleargh!” and be done with it. But I’m finally gonna vent on this one…

OK, so this is how I got crotchety after many hours of First Class moto-therapy. No offense intended toward anyone here or elsewhere, and I don’t remember finding much (if any) of the following here. But I’ve just dropped in on *another forum* and now I just gotta say how astounded I’ve been for awhile now at the pages upon pages of posts there (and on other forums too), running on and on about what some unknown “somebody” said about somebody’s Guzzi!

The endless reports of inaccurate put-downs are one thing, but the inane compliments that evidently come from who-knows-where out of deep left center are the bloody worst! :vomit: It seems that a great many Guzzi riders are evidently as easily flattered as they are insulted. From the posts, those little pearls that evidently mean so much to so many are volunteered by people who, as far as anyone knows, may be total strangers not only to Guzzis, but to motorcycling entirely!

As Rumpole of the Old Bailey would say, “Heaven forefend!” Is this yet another milestone along the highway of popular culture “groupthink” run amok?! <_<

So some knucklehead with a Harley tattoo stumbling out of a Quicki-Mart said, “Your bike sucks!” – or alternately, “Your bike looks cool!” Never mind that for all anyone knows, the doofus is still heavily sedated on horse tranquilizers after his brain donor appointment earlier that day, or that his next move will be to sell a more useful organ on his list to pay for his next bender…So why seize on what someone with a potential resumé such as this says and repeat it endlessly as if it made your entire year?! If it actually did, mightn’t this be a warning that our priorities could be just a tad askew?!

Would it be as wise to pay attention to someone you never saw before in your life, if for openers he said he just shit himself, and then asked for a ride on the back of your Guzzi? Yet every comment from any other totally unknown source could be expected to carry the same level of credibility! Is it the fact that these precious little comments are entirely unsolicited that makes people afford them such devotion? I’ve read many posts explaining clearly that this is EXACTLY why they own a Guzzi!! Sorry, but I just don’t get it, no savvy.

Yeah, I’ve acquired my share of the usual comments, both pro and con on my Guzzi. Most are well-meaning and good natured, happy enough little pleasantries. But much of what evidently gets taken to heart by so many (evidently driving so many people’s beliefs and actions!) is by any kind of common sense analysis, of course just plain worthless! What’s surprising about any of this?

After all, a Guzzi (thankfully!) isn’t exactly as “common” as a Big Gulp or a Big Mac, and many of the Great Unwashed among motocyclisti (is that a word?) seem to be attracted to Guzzi’s the way any bottom-feeding canal scavenger is attracted to any shiny spoon. Fishing for compliments I certainly ain’t with my Guzzi, but then I reckon I sure ain’t everybody.

Speaking for myself, in all honesty, I can’t actually remember any of the many truly stupid parking lot critiques (or praises either, for that matter) that I’ve been offered. Like some radio advertisement for Chuckie’s Cheez Knobs or Momma’s Potato Pasties, I thankfully forget ‘em within seconds – because I just couldn’t possibly care less. For God’s sake, the woods have always been full of free opinion from the peanut gallery and you get what you pay for.

Doesn’t anybody have the ability to think for themselves anymore? To me, the inability of some folks to tune out the “chaff” just seems counter to the idea of owning a Guzzi in the first place. But of course as always, that’s just me, and as certain as I’m an old fart too, YMMV.

OK rant mode off. Now that I’ve vented my spleen, I’m out of clichés. Spare me the head-soaking advice, I’m gonna go do it now… <_<:whistle:

I think this is a good thread. There are many types of pleasure associated with motorcycling. Pride of ownership AND getting attention from the unwashed and washed masses is part of it. One must seriously organize one's thoughts and priorities.

We have all felt pride when someone notices, comments upon and admires our Guzzis at bars, taverns or other places. It is, of course, interesting to own something unusual.

But why do we REALLY love them? That is a good question.

I believe that one must find a bike that mirrors one's personality and abilities. For a long time I thought it was the Guzzi V11, but now I'm thinking it is the Honda RC51. This has caused some real reflection as I've always been a Guzzista.

I believe that one must find a 'good dog' of a motorcycle. One that 'obeys' the personality of the owner. -- that mirrors the personality of the owner. To find that bike - its power, its attributes, its character......is HAPPINESS to me as a motorcyclist.

I want to write more about this.

I believe that one must find a bike that mirrors one's personality and abilities.  For a long time I thought it was the Guzzi V11, but now I'm thinking it is the Honda RC51.  This has caused some real reflection as I've always been a Guzzista.

I think you have something here, but I ride different bikes depending on what mood I'm in. Like the Solex when I'm in the old fart mode :2c:

NICE RANT!

I had a neighbor once who every time I saw him would go on and on and on about four valves being better than two. He of course rode a four valve by four cylinder, or atleast he had photos of it.

His rants were always triggered by us preparing to ride our two valved engines; my V65SP or my buddy's R100GS or Norton Commando. Certainly, he is correct that one gets more power out of having more valves, but his obscession with the topic was sooooooo amusing!

We nicknamed the guy "Four Balls" :lol:

I enjoy parking lot commentary, for better or worse, I don't think I have ever taken it too heart, but I certainly have gotten amusement out of it. And yes one of the joys of owning a Guzzi is that you do get more comments.

I take that back, my libito's ego was hurt once when some slutty chick said she preferred Harleys. :lol:

Now if a girl likes Ducatis, I start to feel the chemistry. :P:

Chrissakes,calm down Ratchet :P What difference does it make what anyone else thinks?

When I told a mate I was buying a Guzzi he was incredulous.Quote- "Are you off your fucking head?" :D

After some discussion,he agreed that he'd never riddn one and that his bias was down to what he'd read in the mags. He's currently 2 grand into a rebuild of his tl1000 after the cams wore down, and boy, does he wear it every time I see him.

Go out on your bike, have fun, blast about and give yourself the occasional scare and laugh a lot to yourself.

Jeez, what more is there?

Guest ratchethack
What difference does it make what anyone else thinks?

When I told a mate I was buying a Guzzi he was incredulous.Quote- "Are you off your fucking head?"  :D

Wow, the waters are thick out there, Cap'n. :P I thought the topic of the thread itself was pretty self-explanatory, but the point of my post was evidently harder to comprehend than I had imagined... it seems that 2 of the respondents above missed it entirely! :huh:

I thought I covered it about 9 ways. In case it's still not clear, I quote myself, but I would ask that you refer back for context. I hope this helps:

"It seems that a great many Guzzi riders are evidently as easily flattered as they are insulted."

"I just couldn’t possibly care less."

"To me, the inability of some folks to tune out the “chaff” just seems counter to the idea of owning a Guzzi in the first place."

"I can’t actually remember any of the many truly stupid parking lot critiques (or praises either, for that matter) that I’ve been offered."

Sorry, I'm unable to quote any stupid stuff said about my Guzzi (see immediately above). -_-

"I just couldn’t possibly care less."

58213[/snapback]

That is often how I feel when my mother or girlfriend is rambling on about something petty.

As for parking lot strangers, I think most of us take it with a grain of salt. I know my bike is not the fastest, and I am ok with that. As for comments about reliabilty, If I had just spent a $1000 fixing something, and someone said, "motogooozzzzy, I hear they are not very reliable", I'd probably sink into a deeper depression and contemplate selling the bike, but get me on a good day, and consider that in 27,000 miles, my only expenses have been from upgrades, maintenance, a crash, two oil cooler brackets, and a bunch of relays, a few hoses and some gasket cement, I can smile, and reply, "What you talkin', Willis!?!" :grin:

So, I really do think it is normal and healthy to "listen" to people and to respond and correct the ignorant SOBs. But I think you bring up a good point, that most of the comments are based on ignorance. We are usually smart enough not to give the comment much weight, but some of us are suckers for peer approval.

"To me, the inability of some folks to tune out the “chaff” just seems counter to the idea of owning a Guzzi in the first place."

When I was in ninth grade, I remember some kid saying that "Moto Guzzis are the best motorcycles in the world" (In retrospect, I think he meant Bimotas) It stuck with me, and now I am a Guzzi addict. So, what to you is counter to owning a Guzzi, is what drove me to owning a Guzzi. I am not as vulnerable now, otherwise I would be led by Captain Enzo Nemo's comments and get an RC51, or worse, get suckered by the common consensus and get an R1 or a Harley. :vomit:

"I can’t actually remember any of the many truly stupid parking lot critiques (or praises either, for that matter) that I’ve been offered."

Hey just cause you are going senile, doesn't mean we are too! :lol:

Guest Nogbad

It's possible to want a Harley without being "suckered" by the common consensus. Likewise a Ducati or a BMW, or dare I say it a plastic crotch rocket. Indeed, I would quite like a Buell which is a Harley by any other name.

I like my V11 because it isn't mainstream I suppose, and it looks cool. Heck I've no illusions about performance, which ain't great. It needs skilful handling to get the best out of it, especially in the wet, and this makes it a satisfying ride.

One day, I will be fed up with it. Either it'll become unreliable, too uncomfortable, too tatty or I will simply be ready to move on to pastures new. Until then, it's fun, and I like it. Who cares :2c: for what anyone else thinks!

It's possible to want a Harley without being "suckered" by the common consensus.

Maybe for you, but for me, I would have stoned out my mind on intravenous opiates, and be offered a free time share in Hawaii with Daisy Duke before I would buy one for market value. Different strokes for different folks.

However, a Buell is another story. They are great bikes and the common consensus does not push me towards one, the sport bike engineering does.

I have a friend with a Sporter and a Gixxer who would not think of a Buell.

I don't get it. But like I said, different strokes for different folks.

Some people view bikes simply as tools, and that is okay, but that is not what floats my boat.

I could also say that some have been suckered into owning Guzzis, and they have given up, and that is okay too.

it makes my penis bigger 

Why do you want a bigger penis?

It will just scare away all the virgins!!! :D

I wish Jaap hadn't banned your personal photo. :(

How many ladies emailed you after seeing the picture of you in the buff?