Fuel filter

kenm

Hi,

I have the tank off of my 2000 V11S to install an FBF airbox eliminator kit. While I was there, I thought that I'd change the fuel filter.

The local dealer sold me a Bosch F 5002. It is noticeably smaller than the current fuel filter. In fact, it appears to be small enough that the bands used to mount the fuel filter may be too large. Has anybody used this filter? AFAYK, is it a valid replacement?

Thanks in advance for your :2c: .

Regards,

-ken

Good question.

I think anything with the right hose fittings that is designed for gasoline fuel injection, should be fine.

But who knows, filters are specified to trap varying levels of particles and to flow atleast a certain flow rate.

I don't think the flow rate is critical since we 30+MPG.

The particle rating is more critical.

We did some research years ago and we narrowed it down to a

NAPA gold FIL3023, and any filter that cross references a Nissan Pathfinder will probably work.

I seem to also recall some Isuzu Trooper/Rodeo filters would work, but I chose not to use them for some reason. But I don't remember why. It may have been size, particle size or flow rate...:huh2:

But I still recall the Weber filter filters out finer particles, so it may be worth the money.

Also, many say they should last for many years, but I replace mine no less frequently than every two years which also is an opportunity to replace hoses, and clamps.

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the Napa version. The Bosch is an automotive filter for Citroen, Fiat and Renault according to the label on the box. Also according to the label, it seems to be equivalent to:

Fiaam FT 5207

Fram G 6400

Knecht KL 14

Mann WK 613

Anyway, I'm sure that this will do the job as long as it can be securely mounted. It was $33.50 from the dealer. I'm sure that that price can be beaten on the web, but I do like to support my dealer when it is not unreasonable to do so.

The manual states that the fuel filter should be replaced every 12K miles. I'm a couple of thousand miles early on this one, but it's a convenient time to do the replacement, so in it goes.

See you next month at the Moto-Euro rally.

Regards,

-ken

See you at the Rally!

One other point, as long as the filter is smaller in diameter, all you have to do is wedge in some cardboard or something to make it fit.

If it is larger, that might be a problem.

The fil3023 is just a little smaller than the OE.

Hi,

I've installed the Bosch and would like a sanity check here before re-installing the tank. The fuel (on a 2000 V11S) flows from the pump to the filter, right? In other words, the direction at the filter is from front to back. It certainly appears to be that way, but there is a lot of hoses there and I might have missed something.

Thanks,

-ken

• 6 years later...

Hi,

I have the tank off of my 2000 V11S to install an FBF airbox eliminator kit. While I was there, I thought that I'd change the fuel filter.

The local dealer sold me a Bosch F 5002. It is noticeably smaller than the current fuel filter. In fact, it appears to be small enough that the bands used to mount the fuel filter may be too large. Has anybody used this filter? AFAYK, is it a valid replacement?

Thanks in advance for your :2c: .

Regards,

-ken

Replacing the fuel filter today - the last one I purchased from my dealer out west (in 2009) was also the Bosch F5002 (previously I had used the stock Weber filters) and I note that in addition to the size difference (my bracket can accomodate this) the other big difference is that the Weber flow exit is on the welded end, wheras the Bosch flow exit is on the non-welded end according to the label.

Can anyone confirm this - I want to make sure the Bosch flow direction label is on the right way before installing ...

PS - if you ever need convincing of the merit of regular filter changes - just try back-flushing an old filter - it's scary what comes out!

Bosch.JPG