Verlicchi clip-on installation tips

Guest new2guzzi

Guest new2guzzi

Hi All,

I am new 2 the guzzi world and in fact just got a 2003 LeMans after no bike riding for 10+ year. Anyway, I love the bike, but I want to do what a lot of you have already done, that is to raise the bars a bit. Not much, just an inch or so up and 1/2 an inch to an inch back. I have some verlicchi clip-ons coming and for those of you that have done this install I am looking for some tips. I have read a lot of the archives but still don't have a real clue as to how to install these things. Under the triple clamp seems to be the general consensus, but can someone direct me to somewhere that tells me how to do this? I am reasonably capable in the mechanical ability area but am not familiar with taking all this stuff apart and would like to save time and frustration in trying to figure it out blind.

Some basic questions are:

How to take off the triple clamp?

How do the stock grips attach to the handlebar. I assume they don't just slide on and off once the bar ends are off?

How long do you think this project should take considering I haven't done or seen the process done before?

How do those of you who purchased the Verlicchi's like them and their adjustability?

Anyway, any tips and pictures that you think would be helpful would be greatly appreciated. I do intend on getting the bar-ends tapped to accept bar weights, possibly throttlemeisters.

Love the bike, riding it more and more. By the way... can you believe I got the bike with 1400 miles on it and the speedometer cable broke within 100 miles? I have been waiting 6 weeks now for a new one.

thank you,

Rob

Black/Grey 2003 LeMans

All stock

Don't know about the raised bars, I'm happy with my low standard ones.

With the speedo cable, check the outer isn't kinked anywhere if you are only replacing the inner. If you find a kink, you will need a new outer cable as well. Then make sure the cable run is as straight as you can make it, with nice wide radius bends and such.

It is possible. My V11 has 10500 miles on the original cable and the needle is rock steady at any speed.

Oh, and welcome to the boards and to the world of the V11.

How to take off the triple clamp?

How do the stock grips attach to the handlebar. I assume they don't just slide on and off once the bar ends are off?

How long do you think this project should take considering I haven't done or seen the process done before?

The triple clamp comes off pretty easy- it'll take you a couple of hours and some beer. Give yourself the day if you're slow, then you'll have an excuse to ride when you finish early.

Two hex bolts on each side of the clamp hold the TC to the forks. You will need to remove the instrument cluster (if it's attached like my V11)-that's two more small allen head bolts on aluminum plate of the cluster and then there is the big hex nut under the decorative cover- very middle, back of the TC. Then, just lift up- I slowly took mine off by tapping with a rubber mallet alternating each side.

The grips do just slide off- but not easily. I would cut them off with a razor blade and replace them with something more comfortable. The clusters need to be taken off, they will not slide off the ends because there is a locating 'dowel' (for lack of a better description) on each cluster. Just take the screws totally out and they'll pop right off. Be careful with your brake/clutch fluid containers- don't break them or spill the fluid. It might be a good idea to put an old towel across the tank just in case.

"I have some verlicchi clip-ons coming and for those of you that have done this install I am looking for some tips"

Rob, I'm in Roswell, & have installed them on my '02 - shoot me a PM with a phone number I'll be more than happy to help when they arrive. Really isn't that difficult, but a second set of hands / tools comes in helpful.

Phil

Atlanta

'02 Le Mans

• 2 weeks later...
Guest new2guzzi

Thanks all for the replies that I got. Especially to Phil for offering to come down and help me. As it turns out, I did this job myself and it really isn't too bad but I could have saved some time if I new some things in advance.

I don't know exactly, but the bars are about an inch up and an inch back now. I didn't have to replace any lines. The bars are very adjustable, I still have a lot of adjustability left but any more up or back and I would have to replace some of the lines, definitely brake and clutch. Not a problem though since I am happy with their positioning.

I did some things that made this job take longer than they should have... If I had some guidance on where to run the lines (up under the triple clamp and around the inside of the forks) this is probably a 2 to 3 hour job. I probably spent 6 or 7 hours (don't ask me why...) :bier:

One more thing... each bar needs a hole drilled in it to accept the dowel inside the switchgear.