Quick crossing into Mexico

Steve G.

Thinking of doing an Iron Butt challenge this coming weekend, the 2 border challenge, Canada/US/Mexico, and possibly a 3 border back to Canada if the body/mind are in good order. Has anybody in southern California have any thoughts about insurance or lack of in Mexico, when we get fuel and confirmed ducumentation, before heading back across in the USA? Is there a real bad time to try to cross at Tiuanna, Mexico?

Ciao, Steve G.

It was pretty crowded even 4 years ago, which was the last time I had the displeasure of visiting Tijuana. Surely there is some other crossing you could do? That particular town is a freakin nightmare.

edit- by 'crowded', I mean it took about an hour to get through the line- either direction- during mid-day and mid-week.

Guest DanielCooper
Thinking of doing an Iron Butt challenge this coming weekend, the 2 border challenge, Canada/US/Mexico, and possibly a 3 border back to Canada if the body/mind are in good order. Has anybody in southern California have any thoughts about insurance or lack of in Mexico, when we get fuel and confirmed ducumentation, before heading back across in the USA? Is there a real bad time to try to cross at Tiuanna, Mexico?

Ciao, Steve G.

60042[/snapback]

Cross at Tecate. On weekdays its a breeze. Also get insurance, its worth it for the peace of mind.

Ditto on Tecate.

Some fun roads lead to Tecate, and besides the Beer at the Tecate Brewery is FREE!!!!

If you insist on Tia Juana, going in to Mexico is usually very fast. The long waits are coming back to the US.

I would guess, the worst times to return are Friday after 4PM, Saturday evening, and Sunday after 4PM.

Also any weekday morning is backed-up by commuters.

Los Angeles is probably an even bigger worry.

Even with lane splitting, bad traffic can cost you as much as three hours trying to cross LA.

So avoid rush hours there.

Guest ratchethack

What do I know, I'm a crusty old barnacle - but speaking as one who has spent his share of time in some of the most "popular and hospitable", yet at the same time notoriously lawless alien environs of both northern Mexico and the Republik of (fallen) Angels, where a flat tire on certain long stretches of road can easily change your life on a permanent basis :o , I've come to the conclusion that the only redeeming feature of a trip to either place anymore is the tremendous sense of relief, appreciation, and yes, security that washes over me every time I return home. That's when I get that great big reminder of exactly what it means to be back where I live in the good ol' USA... :sun: But of course that's just me, and as always, YMMV -_-

Guest ratchethack
I get that feeling when I get out of Los Angeles :D

Yeah, LA's what I meant by "the Republik of (fallen) Angels". It doesn't have much resemblance to the USA anymore, IMHO. <_<

Hey GuzzTim, are you posting on the right board?! :huh2:

Yeah, LA's what I meant by "the Republik of (fallen) Angels".

60148[/snapback]

Sorry, I am a lazy reader and missed that. :blush:

Maybe if you had said City of Lost Angels, but fallen Angels may be more acurate.

San Diego is culturally BORING but "nice"

Who needs culture when we have the beach, sun, and some of the best Moto Guzzi Roads in the world.

Besides, I get all my culture from V11LeMans.com :mg:

Has anybody in southern California have any thoughts about insurance or lack of in Mexico,

60042[/snapback]

I don't go over often, but I have never gotten Insurance despite recommendations from more seasoned travellers.

It may be worth buying online before you go, so that you don't get ripped off.

http://www.mexinsure.us/

http://www.motormexico.com/

http://www.rosaritobeachhotel.com/ is supposed to be pretty nice, but expensive for Baja.

Hotel California, also in Rosarito, may the inspiration for an Eagles song, for all the wrong reasons, so don't be tempted...