Speedometer question....???

Guest Darth Maul

Guest Darth Maul

my speedometer needle started to swing a lot and then died. upon closer inspection i realised the cable rubber connection at the end of the engine side had came loose. so l glue the rubber connection to the 90 degree connector. it works for a while... still swinging (not normal) then died again. so i remove the 90 degree connector and find the gearing is not working smoothly. the gearing sort of getting stuck after a couple of turn. if i forced it... it will turn but i figure it should be turning smoothy not stuck for every 2-3 turns.

has any of you out there had similiar problem? and would replacing the 90 degree plastic adapter solve the problem? I am a little skeptical with the OEM stuff. Has any of you found a alternative solution?

Btw where can i order the 90 degree adapter online?

Thanks in advance.

I got my speedo replaced at 1034 miles. The angled gear thingy got replaced too and it works now since >2000+ miles. I stuffed it with silicon grease, the jumping needle is solid now, seems like it was a lubrication problem or I just got lucky.

Grtz,

Konrad

Guest Darth Maul

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't you do without the 45 degree thing?

no, i cant. i have look into that. the fitting is different.

Another problem area for the jumping needle sydrome is where the speedo cable screws onto the speedo. The headlamp bracket puts pressure on the cable and forces it to bend right next to the crimp. This causes drag and the speedo cable will wind up and release causing the speedo needle to swing. I lived with this for a few months and then the 45 degree adaptor gear blew out. It is still on order!

Mike :helmet:

Guest Darth Maul

hi mike,

dats a very interesting point.

i started having this problem only after i had fix the Magni Fairing. I did shift the angle of the top speedo cable so that it would not brush against the rear part of the headlight. the Magni fairing came with a 45 degree adapter (ok, its not 90 degree). i had to use it or it will affect the steering movement.

I will do some test to see if its the angle that cause this jumping needle syndrome. will try to mount the rear end of the cable to a electronic screwdriver and see what happens.

Guest dkgross

darth..how new is your bike? Seems like I was told when I bought mine that there was a new, redesigned replacement available for that connection, and it would be covered under warrantee should mine fail.

Guest Darth Maul

the bike is still under warranty... but i have been tempering with it, so i wonder whether it is still covered under warranty?

i t would be interesting to see what kind of redesign replacement they have got.

Hi Darth,

I tryed the electric screwdriver and drill to check the speedo. The first problem is having to use the drill in reverse and the second problem is you need high rpm to get much needle movement. My needle jump problem was at higher speeds 70 to 200mph :doh: and with a drill I could only get the speedo to reach maybe around 20 mph.

Mike

You could try a Dremel tool with a speed control. You'd have to be careful though, you could wind up with the first Veglia to hit 300mph just before the guts poked through the case :lol:

Guest Darth Maul

i just heard from a frien that the new design has a screw that hold the black plastic down to the adapter...???

has any of you out there got a new bike dat come with the new cable adapter...???

And photos please.

thanks in advance.

I had the same swinging needle problem. The shop replaced the complete speedo under warranty and it's been fine since.

Except for my odomoter reset button. It's gone! I don't know if someone broke it off or it's unscrewed itself. :o