Normal for a V11 to pull right?

Guest anawrocki

I think we can eliminate the Coriolis Effect it seems whilst present the forces are so small (unlike Antonio's @#$$#! (alledgedly)) as to be considered non existant.

I like the naughty word filter, entered the D word and it's replaced with six characters - There for I can deduce that as far as this forum is concerned, it being inteligent software - picked up on the context of being Antonio's - it is obviously longer than initaly thought - by at least 50% :notworthy:

Edited by Martin Barrett

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, the dirty word experiments... fun... one can never have enough of them.

But since this is monday, The Day of No Fun, back to question:I had a long good run saturday, and noticed the same thing. my bike drifted to the right. especially while cruising at around 3000rpms/70-80kmh. Accelerating and higher rpms seemed to make it drift less.

Tyre wear is even.

The only thing that makes this a problem is that my arms starts hurting after a couple of hours, due to the constant countersteering.

My previous BMW R1150R did this also, but less pronounced. It must be the physics of the bike, strange that so few have noticed it. Or maybe they have, but do not understand it and instead turns to The Dirty Word Experiment, as an escape.

Would be interesting to know if one can get rid of it without too much dismantling.

This may explain why my Metzler disintegrated on the left side on my 2700mi

trip around Cape Breton. The right side had another 2000 mi left on it.

The left was nearly down to the belts. I chalked it up to road camber/ shaft and

torque effects and undue proclivity we all have for soft rubber.

We'll see how the Conti Road Attacks wear.

Guest anawrocki

If it is the physics of the bike, I doubt there is much that can be done (within reason) to correct it.

I never realized that I was always countersteering until I rode left handed for a bit. 10 miles on a cold day and my left arm was pooped. I guess it will get stronger if I keep it up.............

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The bike will pull if you let off the throttle because the spinning crankshaft is decelerating.

Other factors- road camber, assymetric wind resistance, steering geometry (quick-steering bikes are less stable), but most importantly- the rider.

There's also a quantum mechanical effect here. Simply by doing the experiment you have impressed your prejudices on the measurement. Like Schrodinger's cat- (a cat is put in a box with some poison and the question is asked- is the cat alive or dead?)- the only way to answer the question is by perturbing the system. Left alone, there is equal probability of the bike pulling left or right (or the cat being alive or dead). If you do the experiment and let loose the handlebars, or look at the cat, you've perturbed the system and the measurement is invalid. :nerd:

Next up, belfastguzzi and string theory.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Schrodinger's cat- (a cat is put in a box with some poison and the question is asked- is the cat alive or dead?)- the only way to answer the question is by perturbing the system.  Left alone, there is equal probability of the bike pulling left or right (or the cat being alive or dead).    :nerd:

Next up, belfastguzzi and string theory.

61307[/snapback]

Jason, I read about this in one of Douglas Adams books, not sure if Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency or Long dark tea time of the soul

Is a real theory, have you conducted the experiment? I think he used a decaying radioactive particle to release the gas?

I've just realised along with my reply to Nemo's Twin Peaks ride I've just disclosed my profesional secrets away.

I've just searched for it and yes it's real. but have you done it?

Haven't done the cat experiment. No one has that I know of. I like cats. Can't see doing experiments on them for no real gain. I do a few experiments with bacteria, but no one cares when you murder several billion of them.

Here's the original description:

http://www.mtnmath.com/faq/meas-qm-3.html

btw, the paradox is originally designed to illustrate Heisenberg's uncertainty principle which states that you cannot simultaneously measure any more than one attribute of a (very small) particle. Or simultaneous velocity and direction of a 'no-hands' Guzzi. Where's that string theory when you need it? The thought experiment is flawed since it assumes that the radioactive particle will actually strike the Geiger counter tube. Radioactive decay is isotropic- so the probability of going in one particular direction (toward the tube) is fantastically small. Maybe that's his point? I dunno.

Of course, all this came from Max Born's idea of probablistic wave functions to describe electron localizations. The problem being that the electron is so small in mass that it doesn't follow classical Newtonian physics- so quantum physics has to be invoked. The Eigenvalues of the electron wave functions (from Born) give three dynamic but covariant variables which describe the motions and state of the electrons- energy, momentum and angular momentum. Perturbation or measurement of any one of these functions collapses the others- so- you can't make a simultaneous measurement. I'm sorry- I can't do differential equations in this web editor otherwise it would be more clear. You did take differential equations, right? :grin:

Schrodinger recast this problem in a time-independent function that relates time and radial momentum. That allows you to expand the differential equations into their individual energy states (the eigenstates) and by the mutual orthogonality theorem- the eigenstates (well, the "real" parts) represent radial probability densities of electron occupancy.

Check out a picture of various orbitals at:

http://www.orbitals.com/orb/orbtable.htm

(n is energy level, l is momentum, m is angular momentum)

Anyway- all together it gives us an idea of how atoms behave. We use that to predict chemistry and we use chemistry to more fully understand Nature. And make a really crappy oil return line out of a material that spontaneously decomposes.

differehtial equations

dy/dx etc , can't get the other symbols up to describe the limits - it all comes flooding back - not much call for it in police work. Though could be used to work out the rate of change in my girth in respect of the number and rate of donut consumption. :D

I liked the pictures of the various orbitals, much snazzier than Lewis diagrams.

In the book someone had conducted the experiment, but the cat had got bored and escaped from the box. It was all about the absudity of conducting a hypotetical experiment on probabilities that wouldn't resolve untill you looked.

If I were to express this in a day to day enviroment that you could understand ( :D ) and show that I've learnt by taking it from one enviroment and applying it in another

I would compare it to that Mrs JRT is expecting a child, ignoring all the little variables in such things, we would expect 50/50 boy/girl - doesn't resolve untill the birth. But you can peep (scans etc) and know before hand.

Do you the enquiring scientist, determine before hand what colour baby clothes (blue or pink) you should bring to the hospital. Do you run around like a mad thing on the day, or have nice neutral pastels ready to cover all eventualities. Or stay at home and watch the motoGP :bike: (back to bike content)

Congratulations - and I must rush off and look after the motorways, hence rushed reply above

Martin: pink.

Actually- I find the thought experiments kind of fun. Fermi questions like 'how many horsepower does a fly produce?' I'm a real charmer at the pub, eh?

Ratchet: I could, but do you think he'd listen?