Clutch-shift not smooth, please help.

Guest new2guzzi

Guest new2guzzi

Hi Guys/Gals,

A little help here would be appreciated. I recently put on new bars and in doing so I unfortunately had to disconnect the hydraulic clutch line (long story). So I lost the bleed, and have re-bled. Everything is ok except that now when I shift the shifts are a bit rough. When letting the clutch out after shifting the bike seems to lurch into gear a little too rough. I don't think it was like this before I bled the clutch... And although my shifting could be smoother, I don't think that is the problem.

Any ideas? Do these bikes have a syncho mesh?

thank you

2003 LeMans

There's a lot happening in a shift, so this could be any one or several of many things. Sure-there could still be some air in the clutch, but does it disengage at idle when you put it in gear or does it lurch? Maybe there's just a tiny bit of air- the hydraulic activation works adequately, but moved the actuation point on the lever so you're not used to it.

Other considerations- At what rpm do you shift normally? Higher (5-6K) rpms shift smoother than lower (2-4K) rpms. There is also a lot of drive lash in these bikes- more than the older ones it seems, so matching rpm to wheel speed is important. How fast do you snick it in the next gear and let out the clutch?

edit- oh, and welcome to the forum :bier:

Guest new2guzzi

When taking off from a stop, going into first gear everything is OK. I get a smooth launch. When shifting in the higher rpms say from 3rd to fourth or fourth to fifth, the bike just seems to lurch into gear as if the synchro-mesh is not working. This is more true of higher rpms, 4k+. :huh2:

Hi Guys/Gals,

Any ideas?  Do these bikes have a syncho mesh?

thank you

2003 LeMans

62027[/snapback]

New Guzzi guy,

The transmissions do not use synchros.

Usually if you get a little bit of air in the clutch system, the engagement point of the clutch is less, meaning as you let out the clutch the clutch lever will be closer to the bar when the bike starts to move. Since the problem occured after the line was disconnected, it would be easy insurance to go and rebleed the clutch.

Mike

Guest new2guzzi

"Usually if you get a little bit of air in the clutch system, the engagement point of the clutch is less, meaning as you let out the clutch the clutch lever will be closer to the bar when the bike starts to move"

Yes, this was the case. I then re-bled the clutch a 2nd time and now this seems to be better (the engagement point of the clutch is later in the release of the clutch() but the rough lurching is still there. Oh well... It just doesn't seem right.

"Usually if you get a little bit of air in the clutch system, the engagement point of the clutch is less, meaning as you let out the clutch the clutch lever will be closer to the bar when the bike starts to move"

Yes, this was the case.  I then re-bled the clutch a 2nd time and now this seems to be better (the engagement point of the clutch is later in the release of the clutch() but the rough lurching is still there.  Oh well... It just doesn't seem right.

62040[/snapback]

Did you change the routing/length/adjustment of the throttle cable? Since shifting smoothly involves coordinating both motions, you could be having issues with throttle engagement as well???

Ryan

Guest new2guzzi
Did you change the routing/length/adjustment of the throttle cable?  Since shifting smoothly involves coordinating both motions, you could be having issues with throttle engagement as well???

Ryan

62080[/snapback]

Thanks Ryan, but no - this is not the problem. Throttle is fine. I am beginning to wonder if it is fluid I used to re-fill the little resovoir. I am using super blue racing brake fluid.