Guzzi Shop Stand

Dr Gil

I purchased a used Guzzi shop stand to help in the rebuilding of my crashed Le Mans. I have seen some discussion here on what the best way to use it is...handle forward, handle rear.

Yesterday I put the bike up on it for the first time (handle right-side, forward) using the bolts at the bottom end of the pork chops. As I pushed down on the rear of the bike I had someone put the stand under the engine for me. There was some concern because it seemed to wedge pretty tight pretty quick but I inspected it and while I wished for more clearance to increase my options it seemed stable enough. I gave the bike a good shake and it seemed stable and I left it to take care of other weekend chores. I returned a couple of hour's later and started working on replacing the side mirrors through the fairing. I was not exerting much pressure at all but the next thing I know the bike is falling off the stands and onto its side. :(

While scary the damage was minimal. My concern is that I can't rely on this stand to reliably hold my bike up. Heaven forbid I had one or both wheels removed when this happened! My question is, "what am I doing wrong or what is it I don't know?" Anyone have experience to share? :stupid:

Guest ratchethack

Gil, it sounds like you missed the nut on the far side with the stand cradle. :o It takes some getting used to, and it isn't the user-friendliest stand in the world. Always best to get a visual on the alignment of both nuts in the stand cradles before lifting if possible. This takes some doing, but it can be mastered with practice. :luigi:

Gil,

Personally, I find the left side mount easier for me. With the handle facing aft I slide it under the bike setting the left hand nut head in the stand first and pivoting the stand up until the right side nut sets in the stand. When I have both nuts set in the stand, I apply downward pressure to the handle while simultaneously apply right pressure to the bike (holding the left handle bar) as it comes off the kick stand to the vertical position. Once it's vertical and the paddock stand is providing most of the support, I eyeball the right side ensure the nut is still seated, and finish the down stroke of the handle. Using this technique, when first setting the stand, the bar does contact the bottom of the exhaust pipe but nothing that leaves a mark or damage.

I too have had my bike decide to do a standing dismount and it happened when I was removing the rear wheel with the bike on the front oil pan "spindle" that is provided to lift the front wheel. Too much of my lateral force removing a stubborn axel and lack of a good tire plant in the front for stability and she twisted off costing me a right break pedal. I have since regained full trust in the stand and also fully respect its limits. I am very careful when applying any lateral force to anything on the bike, especially when removing tires, forks, etc...

You mention removing "one or both wheels” with this stand. I personally would not remove both wheels due to the shift in CG and the close-in three points of contact of the stand; it will not tolerate much lateral force. I have also used an overhead safety strap when dropping the triple tree or doing major rear work just for the added insurance that if it ever did another dismount, it wasn't going far or it's not going to fall on anybody :huh2:

Stand_001__Large_.jpg

Geez....

I got a 1500lb motorcycle jack they sell at PEP BOYS for $49.00

Slide it under the oil pan...pump it a couple times and both wheels are off the ground.

Couple of safety straps and do whatever. ('cept change the oil! :homer: )

Or take the staps off and roll the bike around the shop. Hard to beat.

Half way down the page.>>>

http://www.pepboys.com/great_buys/products/

Guest rollingthunder

A bit late perhaps, but I can highly recommend the ABBA stand - sounds like its as fiddly to setup as the Guzzi one, but it is very stable - I tested it by jumping aboard when the bike was aloft and rocking it side to side quite vigorously - I didn't want it toppling on top of me while I was laying alongside her! Needn't have worried :luigi:

Glad you and the bike were relatively unharmed - could have been much worse.

RT

Gil, it sounds like you missed the nut on the far side with the stand cradle. :o  It takes some getting used to, and it isn't the user-friendliest stand in the world.  Always best to get a visual on the alignment of both nuts in the stand cradles before lifting if possible.  This takes some doing, but it can be mastered with practice. :luigi:

63627[/snapback]

rachet...the bike seemed stable after initially putting it up on both the paddock stand and spool (I gave it a shake) but in all honesty didn't actually eyeball the mounts after I originally lined the paddock stand up. <_>

I too have had my bike decide to do a standing dismount and it happened when I was removing the rear wheel with the bike on the front oil pan "spindle" that is provided to lift the front wheel.  Too much of my lateral force removing a stubborn axel and lack of a good tire plant in the front for stability and she twisted off costing me a right break pedal.  I have since regained full trust in the stand and also fully respect its limits.  I am very careful when applying any lateral force to anything on the bike, especially when removing tires, forks, etc... 

edge, the amount of lateral force I was exerting was minimal. I was pushing high on the bike a bit (mounting a mirror) but the push was still quite light. In the future I think I'll follow your lead about using an :thumbsup: overhead strap.

so you had the stand like this, and the bike fell off?

Paul,

Yes that's the culprit (but I also had the "spool" piece under the oil pan to hold the front end up)...except mine has cheaper looking plastic wheels. Also my tumble-down garage doesn't have a tiled floor or large art on the walls. :P

You don't happen to have a dirt floor that the stand could sink into? I had to 'floor' my garage with plywood because it's dirt.

Also- I agree with Edge's method. Handle on the left and push back. You can get the lift positioned, lift up just a bit and that stabilizes the bike enough to check that you have captured the two side nuts. Then, go ahead and put the bike up all the way.

Or- get a pep boys stand. That sounds like a pretty good idea as well.

wow! I have the Guzzi stand and find it very stable... though I had my doubts in the beginning. I can't imagine anyone putting more force on their bike than I had to use disassembling mine... we're talking 4 foot breaker bars here... and sledge hammers...

Can you get it up on the stand again to check if the stand is not to spec in a certain spot?

Rj, the guzzi barbarian

I bought one of these "contraptions" , but never use it now. It must be the crudest piece of backyard engineering going: specially designed to take as much paint off the frame castings as possible, whilst remaining dubiuosly stable!!

Waste of money.

I use a bog standard paddock stand with pipe lagging to protect the plastic cover over the swing arm.

Has anybody thought about increasing the thread in the little tapped holes at the back of the arm and using bobbins by the way?

I used to have a Lockhart stand for my '95 Ducati 900 SS sp that was brilliant and easy to use. Guess I should have kept it.

Unfortunately, I didn't do enough homework before buying my MG stand. First thing I did was bugger both the beautiful red frame supports on my Scura. :homer:

Regardless if a user might learn the intricasies of positioning and levering, I agree with Windchill. :bier:

Anybody interested in a used once MG stand for $100 plus shipping?

Bill

Using that stand takes a certain "technique" for sure. But once mastered, it will hold all kinds of pounding and tweaking on your goose. I got my instructions for mounting the stand from Al somewhere on this forum. Once the technique is down, the stand goes on fast , easy, and sure. The lift type stands (Sears, PepBoys, $50) work great if you are adjusting the valves and working on anything higher up. Those lift stands block off the access to the oil pan- i.e., you can't drop the pan. Technique!

I borrowed one of those lift type stands from a friend to check how it would work with the Guzzi. Wasn't particularly happy with stability, but what I really hated was the next morning when I discovered it had "settled" back to the ground again!!

Luckily, she had settled on her side stand. Very lucky all around, as I hadn't managed to get the rear wheel off due to the corrosion seizure... hadn't tried the front wheel...

I immediately bought the Guzzi stand, which I trust now... but apparently others hate it so... :huh2:

I trust the guzzi stand 100%, but am not so sure about the spindle, I think the spindle is to be used for the front wheel once the back wheel is off as my rear tyre touches the floor if i fit the spindle and then the bike is unstable, but it is solid when rear wheel is off. Also be careful where you place your feet when putting bike on stand I did it once and had the full weight of the bike on my tootsies :whistle:

Gary