01 V11 Sport Oil/ Oil Filter Change Question

joe camarda

I just changed the oil and filter on my bike...BUT I forgot to fill up the new filter before I replaced it.

After buttoning everything up I put in three US quarts of oil (Syn. Mobil 1) and the dipstick read "high" and I attributed this to the bubble in the filter so I started the bike and the oil pressure light came on for about a second and immediately went off. I ran the bike for approx 1 minute at low idle and then checked the dipstick again and it was still at "high".

Shouldnt the level have dropped as oil entered the filter? Did not filling the filter cause any damage to the engine.

PS the oil capacity in the owners manual specifies 3.7 US quarts. :blink:

Well, okay. After 30 minutes or so the oil level dipped down to "low", so I guess all is well. B)

Joe, this happens to me every time I change oil. I've never pre-filled the filter, just let the bike idle easy when starting up for a few seconds until the light goes out. These engines are pretty tough, I wouldn't worry about the very short period of time when the system is not up to full pressure.

Oh, I don't know...

Is this a cardinal or a venal sin? We have to decide that before we know whether you're going to hell or not. -_-

You might get by with a minor penance.

But the bike should be fine.

Cheers,

Jason

Joe

What you did was the normal way most mechanics go about an oil and filter change. Running at idle for those few seconds at no load did no damage as the oil filled the filter and then pressure came up.

Being an abnormal and anal mechanic myself B) , I always fill the filter prior to installation. I do this on any car or bike with a upward facing vertical filter. Will that second of low oil pressure I am saving my engines from come back to me as good karma? Heck if I know! But I'm a slave to good engineering practices.

Relax and go for a ride. At least you can! The Post Office still hasn't delivered the damn bolts for my rear disk from Eish yet! :angry:

Bikes did appear in Battlestar Galactica and Tron as far as I can remember. But nothing as futuristic as Rich's redwheeledguzzi. :thumbsup:

Bikes did appear in Battlestar Galactica and Tron as far as I can remember. But nothing as futuristic as Rich's redwheeledguzzi.  :thumbsup:

That's because Rich IS from the future. :!:

ok, ok, time for coffee.

J

Rich,

I think they look very cool! After all these bikes are Italian and should be on the edge. :grin:

BTW, Rich is a 21st Century man. Don't switch to decaf, a slight edge goes well with the wheels

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull

To get back to the topic of oil changes, I changed my oil the other night and used the factory filter wrench, and it's worth it's weight in gold! I used my Ducati wrench last time (same diameter filter) and it would just slip. I ended up having to pull the pan down to get the filter off. With the Guzzi wrench, it was easy and painless. It was just a bit of trouble getting the filter unstuck from the wrench. :wub:

Hello Victor,

My personal findings are that the oilfilter wrench-tool is an large fit.

Therefore it slips over de flat sides of the cannister. I think it was a waste of money, but I am thinking about an solution.

Greetings from Holland :helmet: