stoplight

Guest SantaFeRider

Guest ratchethack

My memory's a little sketchy here, but I think the plunger has a concavity that accepts the ball bearing. It should be obvious, but obviously <_< , it's not. :huh2: One part I distinctly recall is having to use a little grease to retain the ball when assembling.

Don't know what you mean by misaligned?? :huh2:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SantaFeRider
Yep.

No.  My memory's a little sketchy here, but I think the plunger has a concavity that accepts the ball bearing.  It should be obvious, but obviously <_< , it's not. :huh2:  One part I distinctly recall is having to use a little grease to retain the ball when assembling.

Don't know what you mean by misaligned?? :huh2:

68588[/snapback]

then I must have lost the concave end of the plunger... do you think I can buy the piece or do I have to buy a whole new master cylinder?

without the concave piece, when you force the plunger against the ball, the plunger goes to one side...

Guest ratchethack

Sorry SantaFeRider. A memory is a terrible thing to lose. :blush: I just went out and disassembled and re-lubed my bar levers to get re-acquainted with 'em. Your post was the inspiration - thanks. New lube didn't hurt a thing. ;)

The ball bearing doesn't go where you've got it in your photo. It goes in a hole inside the lever carrier, where it pushes on the brake microswitch when the lever is released, opening the brake light circuit. Without the ball in there, the switch will never open and your brake light will always be on.

BTW - On the clutch side, instead of a ball bearing, there's a cylinder-shaped puck that looks to be the same diameter as the ball bearing. It works the same way with the clutch switch.

ALSO - The slotted screw is NOT an adjustment for the brake light switch as I said previously. This is for adjustment of the brake master cylinder plunger. Mine's still sealed with some factory sealing goop. I can't think why this would ever need adjustment unless you installed a new master cylinder.

At least I'd correctly remembered the part about using grease to hold the puck and ball in place for re-assembly. :blush:

Guest SantaFeRider

thank you ratchethack. After all the turkey and wine ingested, I am going to leave the thinghie until tomorrow.

I will remove the brake lever and hope I can see that hole where the ball goes.

You have been very helpful; riding around without the possibility of telling others when you apply your brakes is not advisable.

Santa fe rider,

you do not remove the brake lever, just remove the micro switch and you will see where the ball has to go on the lever holder, just put it in and refix the switch so it is against the ball thats all i did when i lost mine ball :homer:

Gary :mg:

ALSO - The slotted screw is NOT an adjustment for the brake light switch as I said previously.  This is for adjustment of the brake master cylinder plunger.  Mine's still sealed with some factory sealing goop.  I can't think why this would ever need adjustment unless you installed a new master cylinder.

68592[/snapback]

I had to adjust this inwards by a full 1 1/2 turn on my bike. The brake lever didnt do anything useful before it almost met the gashandle, and the brakes were mushy. Dont know why it was lkike that in the first place. The screw can be useful if the driver has tiny hands, maybe?...

It might be a small air problem in there somewhere (going to service the brakes in spring), but now the handle is firm and positive and the brakes bite early. The screw was not sealed with goop, as you explain, and no sign of goop is to see. The clutch handle screw has some goop in it.

And come to think of it, so has I...

Guest SantaFeRider

well... I must be a useless twat, because I can't figure where the ball goes and the shop manual which cost me over $ 80 does not show it :huh2:

Guest SantaFeRider

well... I finally found a schematic of the front brake.

3 is the devilish ball and 5 is the microswitch. There are two very fine vertical screws seemingly holding the microswitch to the lever holder. I will try to remove the microswitch and see if there is a hole or channel to receive the ball.

45952564-M.jpg

Guest ratchethack
I can't figure where the ball goes

FWIW, if I squeeze the brake lever firmly, by directing a light, I can just see the ball coming into view in its hole through the space between the lever and the lever carrier.

Sort of an annoying little :thing: , ain't it?

Guest SantaFeRider

now you confused me my friend. Should I remove the lever to insert the ball in its hole or should I remove the microswitch?

:huh:

Guest SantaFeRider
FWIW, if I squeeze the brake lever firmly, by directing a light, I can just see the ball coming into view in its hole through the space between the lever and the lever carrier.

Sort of an annoying little  :thing: , ain't it?

68688[/snapback]

once you know where the ball goes it's easy.

Now, this is annoying, because you have to do this for everything but draining the oil :angry:

44889085-M.jpg