High piped Breva 1100

callison

Guest Steve_W

The high pipe looks great! When I had my VFR 750, that was on my list of mods. It never got done, since I kept riding the damn thing!

From the pics I have, the Breva's catalytic converter (catalyst) is under the bike. Assuming that's true, it seems to me that the converter could have stayed and a slip-on muffler installed downstream.

Which leads me to a rant: Why do so many people insist on binning anything that looks like pollution-control equipment? IT'S THERE FOR A REASON!! Yes, a catalytic converter restricts the exhaust flow. So does a muffler. The auto world has lots of aftermarket mufflers that utilize the stock converters; since they're a necessary evil, work around them!

Grumble, grumble... :2c:

From the pics I have, the Breva's catalytic converter (catalyst) is under the bike.  Assuming that's true, it seems to me that the converter could have stayed and a slip-on muffler installed downstream.

Which leads me to a rant:  Why do so many people insist on binning anything that looks like pollution-control equipment?  IT'S THERE FOR A REASON!!  Yes, a catalytic converter restricts the exhaust flow.  So does a muffler.  The auto world has lots of aftermarket mufflers that utilize the stock converters; since they're a necessary evil, work around them!

69007[/snapback]

Ah, but they aren't necessary for a lot of people, since [at least here in the U.S.], most bikes never get smogged after their initial sale, ie: you won't get caught for binning the "cat."

It would be nice if there were aftermarket replacement hi-flow cat. converters for motorcycles the way there are for cages, but that's just never gonna happen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not supporting trashing the pollution control parts at 1st opportunity; my bike is still sporting all it's original equipment. I just have a healthy respect for doing the occasional reality check: there's more smog produced by leaf-blowers (aka "noise makers") used by gardeners in a week here where I live in CA than there is by all the motorcycles ridden here all year. It's a numbers game, & motorcycles are small numbers, despite their high output of smog on an individual basis.

Ride on!

:bike:

Look at this. German aftermarket exhaust manufacturer with Beemer as speciality.

They have an optimized Kat that they state can be fitted to existing tubes (last on the sheet). One can probably order the Katalyst on its own. Its generally very safe to order stuff from Germany, and mostly there are english speaking guys at hand.

http://www.boxer-design.de/en/Zachauspuffeer1150r.htm

see also

www.zach-auspuff.de

but be prepared to read german.

Performance is raised (as said there) at 5Hp mid and 8 High,I may guess that is due to "removing" these Euro 3 specs..Unbelievable.... cool, that's the way to go :grin:  , hehe :D

69010[/snapback]

If you look carefully you can see that the exhaust on this photo did not work. All the parts were only dot-fixed so far!

Compare these values with others to be found in every moto-mag when they compare stock exhausts with aftermarket exhausts!

In nearly all cases you get only more noise, the sound often even rated as worse, and only in some very few cases the can find a more or less marginal win of power here or there, always combined with losses elsewhere.

If this guy will adjust his EFI the bike will probably explode! 8 HP already now, without any further change. That's some word, indeed!

But the look of it lets me hope at least. There's not all lost with the new Guzzis.

Hubert