Seattle Motorcycle Show

Greg Field

Went to the show today and saw for the first time in the metal the Breva 1100 and Griso. What can I say but I know what I want for Christmas! :mg: The crowd around them seemed very positive and there was definitely more enthusiasm about the bikes than I've seen before at Guzzi exhibits. Hopefully MG can follow up by getting these into showrooms around here soon. My girlfriend was very taken with the Breva 750 too...hopefully I can talk her into trading her Magna in on one. All in all, a good show this year. Bummer I forgot my camera :homer:

Randy

I was at the show Saturday as well.

Checked out the M.G. display. You can tell that Piaggio is spending more money on the whole Guzzi effort, in North America anyways. First impressions? Well I've seen the little series Breva, and they do nothing for me. The big Breva? I'm sorry, it's butt ugly. I'm sure it's a better bike than the ones we follow here, but it's not happening style wise. The body work appendages off of the tank are simply crying out to be chipped off. The fuel tank should be more flat, not the arched up from the back appearance one sees now. Now the Griso. This is a machine which I initially thought was kind of weird in the pictures. But in real view, it's not too bad. Sitting position is fine. Styling I think most could live with. It has some small issues which I think let it down. The most attention getting part of the exhaust, the very end of the muffler can, is let down by a real cheesy finish. Either polish the metal out so it does'nt look like it was sourced from the accessory dept. of Ural, or paint it flat black so it does not bring attention to itself. Either that, or most owners will rip the ugly thing off and get an aftermarket can. The oil cooler underneath the right cylinder would be moved somewhere if I got mine. It looks stupid there. Other than those nigglies, I think Guzzi will sell every one they can make. I think you will see them reskin the Breva, or keep it as a base model, as it is not an attractive bike. I stood around for quite a while, hearing many quiet opinions, most were asking where the V11/Lemans bikes were after seeing the Breva.

Other makes. Of course Kawasaki has their Hyabusa killer, ZX14. Fit and finish is the same as always with them, cobby! The bike itself looks like a giant milti eyed bug coming at you from the front. Very weird looking, with the rest of the machine just boring as anything. Nothing from Honda, or Suzuki ever does much for me anymore. Hondas are boring to look at, and Suzuki uses too many "boy racer" graphics for styling rather than actually make some nice lines. On Jap bike I've always liked to look at is the Yamaha R1. Now with the limited [for a Japanese maker] edition R1 "LE" in Yamaha racer yellow and black. These are great looking bikes, and the fit and finish is the best in the business if you ask me.

Oh, and Triumph had no display at all, nothing!

Mega cruisers everywhere, this is obviously where the market is, and so they are making what the people want.

Ciao, Steve G.

most owners will rip the ugly thing off and get an aftermarket can.                                                                    Ciao, Steve G.

69535[/snapback]

You Freaking read my mind. Partly why I like thier "california" edition looks like an Aprilia Can....hmm I wonder :unsure:

I just found out today that Triumph isn't taking part in this year's show :( What's with that?

I am planning on hitting the show when it comes to San Jose in a couple of weeks and was really looking forward to finally being able to set on the Sprint and Speed 3 (they were at last year's show but roped off).

I've heard good things about the Guzzi booths on other forums too...nice to be getting a bit of positive attention :mg:

Yup, no Triumph factory setup at the show. Kinda disappointed too about that. Cycle Barn, a local multi-brand dealer had a couple or so on the floor although I didn't see a new ST. Didn't look too hard as I can't stand that dealer and wouldn't give them my money if they were the only one around.

Randy

Yup, no Triumph factory setup at the show.  Kinda disappointed too about that.  Cycle Barn, a local multi-brand dealer had a couple or so on the floor although I didn't see a new ST.  Didn't look too hard as I can't stand that dealer and wouldn't give them my money if they were the only one around.

Randy

69586[/snapback]

The ST looks uglier in person than I thought it would. It just looks like a toy like a cheap plastic toy. all biased aside I know I like street fighter style more but I almost bought the old ST and in person the older one is much more pleasing. Now the Triple is another matter I hear its fast as the dickens and when I Sat on it riding position was similar to siting on the Buell. So I bet it handles like a dream too then. :huh2:

They just need to line up all the bikes around and then let you take them for a short spin to get a feel. Some dealers won't let you test ride much of anything at all just have to go by Gut. and I hate going by my gut its more often wrong. I'd pay for this service its crazy I know cause then everyone would want a ride but sell tickets or something.

Wuz Duc there? With the new "Classics"?

You guys talk about looks alot and nothing looks better (to this old

geezer) than them. Except the Tontis we saw on that thread.

Fit and finish on a Duc is truly the best also...

IMHO

This not only includes just motorcycles but power tools and farm equipment.

I used to think the same of Guzzi.

I've followed a handful of threads about the "Frame crack" on mid 90s Ducs

Ducati made good on every one...replacing the frames for 2nd and 3rd owners.

Wish THEY"D buy Guzzi.

(clutch exploding...pawl failing...Sachs suckin'...paint flaking...tank suckin'

relay popin'' ...bearing burnin 'Guzzi)

Good thing they build the best, most fun riding, bike there is. :mg:

Indeed the Ducati Classics are there. They are simply lovely things to look at! They were garnering all the attention in the Ducati display, leaving oddities like the Multistrada and the SS series ignored. They were both on stands so no-one was able to sit on them.

Funny you should mention these bikes. I'm of the strong [and trying to be unbiased] opinion that a bike introduced in 1998, and on public sale in 1999 beat Ducati to the mark by a full 5 years. That machine was the green V11 Sport Moto Guzzi. Both Guzzi and Ducati patterned, and in some ways modernized their respective classics, Guzzi with the V7 Sport, and Ducati with the Paul Smart and 750 GT. Both with engine/mechanical traights similar to the old machines, with vastly superior brakes and hardware. This is something Ducati will do very well with, as is Triumph, and Guzzi should continue with. The very latest from Guzzi has me sort of wondering.

Ciao, Steve G.

I hit the Seattle show on Sunday. Checked out the Grease Pig in person. Hated it in the pictures I saw, didn't mind it quite so much in person, until I saw the can. What an abortion that thing is! Massive can with a tiny little hole in the end. Absolutely ridiculous! I'm with Steve on the oil cooler too - horrid spot for it. Will it even be effective there??

Still kept an open mind until I sat on it. Didn't like it at all. Your ass might, but it did not feel right to me. It looks much bigger in the pictures, but seems much smaller in person.

Guzzi will likely sell these things reasonably well, but certainly not to me!

The Brevas... well... nothing good to say there.

the Duc Sport Classics were a disappointment. I have 74 Duc that these were supposed to capture the essence of and they just don't. While curvy, the lines don't flow well, they seem "porky" while the originals were always slender, sexy things. The ass especially is just way too fat.

I've never liked the fairing on the PS replica, the Sport rep is OK but a BIG disappointment that it doesn't have the Ohlins suspension that the PS does. All the advert pics up till now have shown it having the Ohlins too...

My bank account is safe until next model year...

Rj