Now, that's EXTREME !

Alex-Corsa

Well few days ago I had the opportunity to make a check on the fuel consumption of the bike (after for more than a month).

I took this opportunity because I had the feeling that something was going wrong with it. So I installed a "open" chip in it and fill it up , make a ride and see the consumption.

As stated in another post I made a mixed route city,highway so that I can have a more average rate on fuel consumption. The results was about 12.6-13+lt/100 km , and that is about the double than my previous (2-3 months when I have measured)fuel consumptions.

At first I thought it was the chip that in mesterious way it was running rich, I mean rich as a Texas oil drill pump. :wacko: After feeling like a Texan for a while :D , then I thought that the chip was a bad idea and swiched back to my old trusty one I had for so many miles. :whistle:

BUT to my surprise after making again fuel consumption tests the fuel consumtion did only decline a little (about 5-8%) being again at a steady 11-12+lt /100km mixed routes driving :o:wacko:

Well actually looking at the sparkplugs this time and they looked O.K.

I thought of a leak somewhere and the only place I found one was at these screws under the TB's (see pics)

Then I said what the heck if these chips pack it in I'll buy a Creedon chip and so I did. Well the chip IS fine responsive ect.ect. but the consumption remains about the same 10+lt/100 highway and as TODAY measured 13lt /100 in city.

The only thing I noticed as leak is these 2 screws at the under side of the TB's I saw the right one being a little wet so I tried to tighten it in , it got a bit but nothing to match the torgue needed, it goes round , it doesn't unscrew either, Is this like it supposed to be????

Other thing I noticed is that If I lower the idle to 800-900 rpm then a kind of hiccup can occure and from the left screw will be a benzine bubble coming out

This screw also behaves the same as the other.

Air Filter is crappy old K&N , soon to be changed.Because of the so good unavailability of the OEMs I'll get me a BCM thingie on , this time will be propperlly maintened with it's oil and stuff.

So guys if you have any clue of what's going on with the bike , just tell me and I'll look it up.

New TB's I ain't gonna buy.I am so .... , I want to :angry: go buy a HONDA or a Duke

Sorry about showing so %#$@* but I don't own an oil company :P

My VDSTS's and O2 commanders wiill be soon on it's way but at the time I have no other instruments on my hands.

Cheers :bier:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And go buy a HONDA or a Duke

71704[/snapback]

Well I am sorry for your plight and I don't know what the culprit could be I could see a Honda but Duke's can and sometimes do have just as many niggles as you ppl call them. And I imagine they are not made to go quite as far either. Tho I really would like a 999 or a 749dark or a 998 matrix....the list she goes on :food:

I see , I see,.... then no Italian garbage , let's keep the HONDA.

Though I knew about the Duke I only mentioned it for the looks but ain't worth at the second thought as well.

Any other clues before lead to this decision.

TB's are synchrinised. and rockers to be checked (normally after 2K but will do that too soon)

Hondas are not renowned for good fuel consumption. Take the VTR1000 for example, this V twin sports tourer from the big H would be lucky to beat 8 litres/100km

Something is going wrong with your Guzzi if the consumption is that bad. I get about 6.3 l/100km from mine.

Hondas are not renowned for good fuel consumption. Take the VTR1000 for example, this V twin sports tourer from the big H would be lucky to beat 8 litres/100km

8 Liters is acceptable Mine could reach 9 in agressive riding before. But VTR isn't that Sporty.(As a SP-1 RC-51 )

Anyway that's not the problem here, cna we concentrate on the Guzzi.

Hondas have much better motors than any other by far including Guzzi.

I have a Goose because I like it , but there occure so many goofy problems sometimes I can only hate it.

Any usefull input?

I've gotten 51mpg @ 79mph on a long superslab ride - Creedon chip. These things can get good mileage on occasion but since you're dealing with the WM16 computer you might want to cruise over to Cliff Jeffries site and nose around.

Thanks Cal , I know but the thing is that with even the same 'ol set up as before the consumption is high and I cant find if there is any leak.

I bet if the WM is changed the problem will remain.

Alex,

With my Corsa steady 90 km/h would produce as low 4.5 l/100 km consumption (My16M & closed loop mode). Normal riding 5.5-6.0 l/100 km. At track 10 l/100 km could be achieved without any problem.

The symptoms of your bike sound that you might have either the cylinder head or outside air temperature sensor gone wacko. This can enrichen the mixture up to 30-50 % ? Because it sounds that the bike otherwise runs ok I would go checking those sensors first.

br, JuhaV

PS. By the way, my current ride is a slightly modified VTR SP-1 :P

Is this bike second hand?

This level of consumption is clearly beyond mapping issues.

Maybe you have the wrong fuel injectors, or somebody tried boring the injectors out, if that is even possible.

Or maybe the fuel pressure regulator is stuck closed.

Your highway mileage being better seems to imply that if you move fast, it has less chance to dump gas.

You might try reading the plug at various RPMs.

If the regulator is stuck, it will be richer at low loads and revs, theoretically.

Otherwise a faulty sensor is likely. and the air or engine temp sensors would be most likely.

Or maybe the TPS.

Or maybe the bike is perfectly tuned to run on Ethanol :drink:

Sorry about the problem.

Alex,

With my Corsa steady 90 km/h would produce as low 4.5 l/100 km consumption (My16M & closed loop mode). Normal riding 5.5-6.0 l/100 km. At track 10 l/100 km could be achieved without any problem.

The symptoms of your bike sound that you might have either the cylinder head or outside air temperature sensor gone wacko. This can enrichen the mixture up to 30-50 % ? Because it sounds that the bike otherwise runs ok I would go checking those sensors first.

br, JuhaV

PS. By the way, my current ride is a slightly modified VTR SP-1 :P

Thanks Juha , I will do check the sensors.Cylinders latter ,what I have as indication on my Carbtune is bot cylinders working the same.What kind fo wacko do you mean.

Nice ride :P you have,:drink:

Is this bike second hand?

That's not an issue since I have it allready more than 20months and is completly stock (except exaust)- and chip.Never had any problems before.

This level of consumption is clearly beyond mapping issues.

Maybe you have the wrong fuel injectors, or somebody tried boring the injectors out, if that is even possible.

Nope

Or maybe the fuel pressure regulator is stuck closed.

Dunno what this thingie exact does but I guess is to be checked out.

Thanks

Your highway mileage being better seems to imply that if you move fast, it has less chance to dump gas.

I'd say the more stable I have the throttle the less the consumption ( still high though )

Well in city where the gas is opened and closed often the consumption change is dramatic

You might try reading the plug at various RPMs.

If the regulator is stuck, it will be richer at low loads and revs, theoretically.

Otherwise a faulty sensor is likely. and the air or engine temp sensors would be most likely.

Now O.K. this sounds very close,Bike is very rich in low RPM, can you tell me where this stupid regulator is?

Or maybe the TPS.

What do you mean about the Tps I have thought about it too , but then again I'll have to check the voltage. Should it be plugged or unpluged when I check this, I can't remember.?

Now O.K. this sounds very close,Bike is very rich in low RPM, can you tell me where this stupid regulator is?

What do you mean about the Tps I have thought about it too , but then again I'll have to check the voltage. Should it be plugged or unpluged when I check this, I can't remember.?

71737[/snapback]

I don't know where the regulator is on your bike.

The TPS should have smooth consistant readings.

It should be plugged in when you check it, which is why people use needle probes, etc.

checkout

http://home.pacbell.net/guzzi007/tps/TPS.html