little off topic

DeBenGuzzi

When they are new like this you can't really expect one to handle at all. You have to live with the need for special fuels and constant fluid leaks for the first few thousand hours running. It does get better after that, and they handle better. Some people report glitches and random handling and engine noise problems betweem 17000 and 25000 hours running. After that your running costs will increase, but increasing pleasure of ownership stops you realising this before your bank manager. They only handle really well after the 21 year service provided you have avoided crashing it between the 13year and 17year one.

Don't run it on ethanol mix until after the 18 year service in the UK and Europe. Some US states insist you wait until after the 21 year service, check in your manual.

Generally, women drive them better when they are new, but your experienced hand will fare better after about the 15 year service visit.

When they are new like this you can't really expect one to handle at all. You have to live with the need for special fuels and constant fluid leaks for the first few thousand hours running. It does get better after that, and they handle better. Some people report glitches and random handling and engine noise problems betweem 17000 and 25000 hours running. After that your running costs will increase, but increasing pleasure of ownership stops you realising this before your bank manager. They only handle really well after the 21 year service provided you have avoided crashing it between the 13year and 17year one.

Don't run it on ethanol mix until after the 18 year service in the UK and Europe. Some US states insist you wait until after the 21 year service, check in your manual.

Generally, women drive them better when they are new, but your experienced hand will fare better after about the 15 year service visit.

71733[/snapback]

what?

ANYone tell me how the hell this thing steers? I've been trying to figure it out but I've never seen one in motion only sitting just like this for pretty pics. I can't figure out how you drive it.

dodge-tomahawk-2.jpg

71728[/snapback]

I have it in a file from the tv show it was on. Too bad I can't cut that portion out and stick it somewhere, but it would be gigabytes in size. I think it was on Discovery Channel or something and about (what else) motorcycles. It's about $525K or something like that. The designer rides a 96 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport. Can't be all bad I guess. The steering is somewhat bizarre. The two wheels slide across each other to accomodate the lean. Other that that, it's somewhat normal. If any motorcycle with a theoretical 300+mph top end could be considered normal.

ANYone tell me how the hell this thing steers? I've been trying to figure it out but I've never seen one in motion only sitting just like this for pretty pics. I can't figure out how you drive it.

dodge-tomahawk-2.jpg

71728[/snapback]

..........with a considerable degree of apprehension, is my guess.

Is this a motorcycle or a film prop? I can't see "Moto Guzzi" anywhere on it. You never know, these days. On the basis that "if it looks right it probably is right," then you probably can't ride [drive?] it at all.

It's not another gross Triumph, is it?

..........with a considerable degree of apprehension, is my guess.

Is this a motorcycle or a film prop? I can't see "Moto Guzzi" anywhere on it. You never know, these days. On the basis that "if it looks right it probably is right," then you probably can't ride [drive?] it at all.

It's not another gross Triumph, is it?

71763[/snapback]

Bob,

It is a stupid publicity stunt by an American car company. The engine is a V-10, in the 6 or 7 liter area for displacement from a US car. IIRC, even Scotty Parker (many time US flat track champ) couldn't ride the POS without crashing it. As is typical for what passes for bike magazines in the US, both Cycle World and Motorcyclist fell all over themselves giving the company that built it free publicity.

By the way, the "300 MPH top end" was "not accounting for aerodynamic drag". Since air drag is about 99.99% of the drag at 300 MPH (about 500 KPH) the statement is, to be kind, misleading.

Lex

As Lex said, a publicity stunt by Chrysler USA showing off their V10 engine. A computer controls the balance of the thing while standing still, and rights itself when the torque of blipping the throttle threatens to flip it on it's side from the 500ib torque. I saw the thing at an AMA road race at Sears Point 3 yrs ago. Sounded interesting when they started it.

The only person able to ride it was former AMA flattrracker Champ Scotty Parker, who despite his skill, crashed it twice going straight in a back lot parking lot.

Interestingly, for 2006, Kentucky "motorcycle" maker Boss Hoss is offering it's own version of the same V10 rated at 550hp and 782 ib torque as one of it's models. The word obscene quickly pops to mind!

Ciao, Steve G.

As Lex said, a publicity stunt by Chrysler USA showing off their V10 engine. A computer controls the balance of the thing while standing still, and rights itself when the torque of blipping the throttle threatens to flip it on it's side from the 500ib torque. I saw the thing at an AMA road race at Sears Point 3 yrs ago. Sounded interesting when they started it.

The only person able to ride it was former AMA flattrracker Champ Scotty Parker, who despite his skill, crashed it twice going straight in a back lot parking lot.

Interestingly, for 2006, Kentucky "motorcycle" maker Boss Hoss is offering it's own version of the same V10 rated at 550hp and 782 ib torque as one of it's models. The word obscene quickly pops to mind!

Ciao, Steve G.

71814[/snapback]

crashed it twice as in how? he fell over? hit something? did he wreck the peice of crap?

Also I was at a bike show 2 years ago and the Boss hoss ppl had a 500 big block with nitrous and all the bells on it *theoretical* 0-60 in under 2 seconds and a *theoretical* 1/4 mile in I think it said 7.9 but we asked so whats with all the *theoretical* they then told us they didn't think anyone would be able to hold on well enough to prove it. :huh2:

I did actually see a Tomohawk at the '03 Superbike races at Sear Point but never saw it move. They had it behind a fence and a guy would periodically fire it up much to the delight of the crowd :drink: In all fairness that Viper engine did sound awesome!

That pool of oil under then engine was kind of a bad sign though... :rolleyes:

2003sears51.jpg