Oscillation in Front End of V11 Sport

Reformed Squid

I just recently picked up my first Guzzi (definitely not my last), a V11 Sport and I have a question about handling. I seem to have a whallowing or gentle oscillaiton from the front end when I take corners at speed. It's not tank slapper scary or anyting, but it is a little disconcerting. I've played with all settings on the dampner (if you can even call it a dampner) from max to min, but to no avail. What have ya'll done to make the front end feel more stable? Thanks.

RS

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other thing to check is your compression & rebound settings. If you know what you're doing that should make some improvement. There are many opinions on this subject in lots of threads here, you could spend hours reading it all lol. The most recent thread involves putting stiffer springs in the forks. You dont have a Ninja/gsxr now if thats what you had, the v11 will probably never handle like one of those bikes. It does handle pretty well for a 500lb bike

You dont have a Ninja/gsxr now if thats what you had, the v11 will probably never handle like one of those bikes. It does handle pretty well for a 500lb bike

71958[/snapback]

To a great degree, I think you've hit the nail on the head as I still do ride my sportbike, although a lot less since the V11 came home. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

RS

I just recently picked up my first Guzzi (definitely not my last), a V11 Sport and I have a question about handling.  I seem to have a wallowing or gentle oscillaiton from the front end when I take corners at speed.

RS, this might help as it has for a large handful of riders (written 9.24.01); http://www.guzzitech.com/V11SportWobble-Todd_E.html -- also be sure to scan the suspension threads here and GuzziTech.com

RacerX' article was very helpful to me.

The only part I would disagree with is that I prefer the compression damping backed all the way off....but that only works if the bike is not heavilly under-sprung, which almost everyone will find.

If you weigh more than 150#s you will probably need at the least, to increase spring pre-load front and rear. If you weigh more than 170#s you will probably want stiffer springs, front and rear.

Getting sag numbers set correctly is key.

We can help you on the forums (start with a search on sag) or you can see your dealer.

Would this bike happen to be the one from MPH with traxxion or racetech modified forks?

I definitely do plan to replace the stock Battlecrap once it's worn out.

71957[/snapback]

How bad has your front Batlax started to cup? That will give you the wallowing in the turns you describe :huh2:

I just recently picked up my first Guzzi (definitely not my last), a V11 Sport and I have a question about handling.  I seem to have a whallowing or gentle oscillaiton from the front end when I take corners at speed.  It's not tank slapper scary or anyting, but it is a little disconcerting.  I've played with all settings on the dampner (if you can even call it a dampner) from max to min, but to no avail.  What have ya'll done to make the front end feel more stable?  Thanks.

RS

71951[/snapback]

From your thread name, I'll assume you either have or have had Japanese sport bikes in your paddock. An honest person would freely admit that while one can expect a good handling bike in a V11 based Guzzi, it will never handle like a current series true sport bike. Those who havn't ridden modern sport bikes simply don't understand the situation. The shaft drive causing an improper weight bias to the rear, as well as a less than stout frame compared to sport bikes are the main contributors.

Enjoy your Moto Guzzi. They will cause you to have pride of ownership!

I can attest that any of the airbox kits will give you what you want as far as induction roar. I have the Ferracci kit, and this allows the old girl to show off her baritone roar!

Ciao, Steve G.

Also check to see if your damper is even working it may have lost all its oil when I turn mine up it feels like I can't even turn the bars too far up its almost scary hard to turn the bars but wht thier rate of fail I'm sure she'd blow out and I'd regain control b4 I hit something. :huh2::homer:

RacerX' article was very helpful to me.

The Would this bike happen to be the one from MPH with traxxion or racetech modified forks?

71965[/snapback]

No, it was not that one, but one he had a few weeks earlier. It was an 01 with only 1700 miles on it so I just had to rescue it. In less than two months, I have already put more miles than the past 4 years. Everytime I'm done riding I've got the most stupid grin plastered on my face.

RS

My 02 LeMans is a BRICK in 80mph sweepers. I'm 200lbs.

I was up in Vermont camping about a month after I got it and was winding

up wonderful Rt. 100 and had that wierd wallowing feeling while digging into

the corners. I chalked it up to maybe all my gear on the back. Still...unacceptable.

After I got every thing off I did the suspension walk around/ bounce/kick the tires test.

Finally grabed it by the tail rack ...stood it up off the side stand and gave it a bounce...

Boinnnggg boing boing...blown shock.

Got the Sachs shock repaired and used my MX experiance to set up the suspension.

This consists of mainly setting it up pretty stiff... then the all important "ballance".

By ballance I mean the front and back MUST work in perfect unison.

My high tech way of getting this is to stand on my pegs while a friend holds the bike

upright, lock the brakes and literally bounce.... a third friend does some observing..

we switch off...have a beer...change a setting fore or aft...comp or damp..another beer/

more bouncing....more adj...bounce..look.. screw it..close enough ..ride it....perfect...

(note...cranked the shock spring about 4 turns tighter than OEM...(fat boy) and more weight on the front end is a good by me...ala my Duc.. and went from there)

I did not fool around measuring sag...without going for new fork springs it would be moot. I have my dampner cranked at least 3/4 max. It's the best big fast sweeper bike I've ever owned...set it up..pitch it...pour on the coal...giggle, shake my head and grin.

I've been ass off the side of the seat and watch the speedo up over 120 carving a turn and it's just a big happy, stable BRICK. ( Last time was going by Rob the hero

on his Road King ...farting and puking it's guts out @ about 100...hahahaharley)

My suspension theory;

1 Balance is KEY The front and the back MUST compress and return identicaly

2 Stiff is good. Ever notice the difference in RIDE between your Porche and Caddy?

3 It's a big ol' $13,000 Guzzi...big ol' forks...big ol' mono shock...big ol' tires It's gotta work. This is my favorite handling bike ever...including my 2 CBRs and my Duc

Not so much in the tight tight but for my favorite (sweepers) I like it best.

You can chase your tail around for ever ($$$$) trying to staighten out suspension problems.

Maybe I just got lucky ..As ratchethack says YMMV Good Luck :mg: