clutch slipping

jrt

Hey folks,

On the last couple of rides I've taken I've noticed that the clutch has started slipping a little bit. Not all the time- I have to make it happen (so far).

Its when I really goose it- get the rpm's up around 5K then give her full throttle - like I'm passing someone or just hauling butt. I've only noticed it in 4th and 5th (mostly 5th) gear. That part makes sense. When it happens, the bike pulls normally for a second or two, then the clutch lets go- not bad, but definitely slipping. I've only noticed it when the bike is hot, or after I take off after the bike sat for a few minutes (hot). I don't drive very fast until the bikes fully warmed up. Sigh. My shop said to just bring it in and he'll take care of it (they're good), but I was wondering if anyone else had this happen. I don't abuse the clutch by riding it, nor do I do burnouts (I did pull a wheelie once, but the road helped :blink: ). I don't see oil under the bike.

cheers,

Jason

• 1 month later...

Hi Jason,

I bought my bike form the same place I think. Ned's in Riverside if my guess is right. Jim said that he was getting a V11 Sport in with a possible clutch problem. I have 7k on mine so far with no clutch trouble yet. All of my stuff has been the usual early V11 stuff. Failed tach,relays,cracked side cover and the first battery died an early death. Oh yea, and now a bad rear wheel bearing. All taken care of by myself with Jim getting the parts to me in very short order. What did you find out on the clutch deal? When I had my rear wheel off to check out the noise the dealer had done a great job of lubracating everything.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Turns out that the culprit is a small oil leak from the transmission input shaft. It was small enough that I didn't notice any oil loss, nor did I notice any oil (other than normal) at the weep hole on the bell housing. Nevertheless, when Jim took it apart, he said the plates were wetted with oil. Last I saw, the ass end was off, new clutch installed, and apparently only waiting on the arrival of a new input seal to have it running again. I've not heard of other failures in this seal, so I doubt you'll see it.

I did get my bike from Ned's, and I have been real pleased with how Jim had it set up, and the work he's done. Nice to have a good dealer. My tach works, but I've had some of the other problems you mention.

FYI- Ned's Auto and Cycle (Riverside, IA, USA) is a unique place. On monday nights (and wednesdays during summer), Ned's is open 6:30-8:00. It's a gathering place for BMW, Guzzi, and other riders. If you can make it, it's worth the trip. Ray, I hope to see you there some evening (I'll be on my eldo 'till I get the sport back).

Cheers,

Jason

Jason,

You will have it back soon. I talked to Jim yesterday and he said it was about done. I called to let him know about the wheel bearing thing on my bike. I live in Lincoln, NE so it may be awhile before I can make it to Ned's again but you never know I might just get the urge to do it sometime.

Good riding and I hope all goes well from here on out. Oh, yes. You are not the only total Guzzi nut around. I have ridden them exclusively now for almost thirty years. Present number in garage is three.

Ray

Right on- I'm at, uh, 20 years on Guzzi's so you have me beat there. But I have 5 in the garage :blush:

If you decide to come over- give me a call and please stay at our house.

Cheers,

Jason