Another oil change related question

bigbikerrick

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest slowpoke

Dan M hit the nail on the head. It could be caused (and probably is) by blow-by and the fact that he may not have re-oiled the air filter ( they all need to be looked after), and not changed the spark plugs promptly-I do it every 2,500 miles-and the fact that he uses a car rated oil which I recommend using a motorcycle specific synthetic changed every 3000 miles. And certainly not least, when there is synthetic oil in that bike run it above 5000 rpm's for extended periods of time.

Guest Nogbad

I don't think there is any reason not to use car oil in your Guzzi. There is no wet clutch, and the gearbox does not share the engine oil. A decent car oil whether dino or synth should be fine IMHO.

I wouldn't touch a K & N. They are just fashion over function. Sorry.

And another thing, I don't agree that particle size below a certain amount doesn't matter I think someone said less than the oil film thickness. A hot engine has a pretty thin oil film between the piston rings and the bore. A K&N (spit) lets rocks through by comparison and smaller particles can agglomerate on surfaces and cause problems.

All this heart and soul searching about the relative merits of synth over dino and Castrol over Wal-Mart and in the same breath you say you fitted a K&N!

I don't think there is any reason not to use car oil in your Guzzi. There is no wet clutch, and the gearbox does not share the engine oil. A decent car oil whether dino or synth should be fine IMHO.

Absolutely right. Motorcycle specific oil has two main differences, Lack of friction reducing additives that could make a wet clutch slip and better shearing resistance to stand up to the mating gears in a transmission that shares motor oil. MG needs neither. Car oil is fine for us. I've always promoted the use of high quality lubricants and sell and use the Spectro line. But, if you change it regularly, (before it breaks down) most any oil that carries the rating that the factory calls for is OK. Synthetics last much longer before breaking down and will protect better at extreme temperatures. So the bottom line? Synthetic is cheap insurance. Get suck in traffic and the motor gets really hot, synthetic may make the difference.

Once again: :2c:

K&N's would be a serious improvement over the open bell mouths that have been running just fine on my 74 Ducati for at least a decade. Likely more like two. Engine still makes shitloads of power. Still has original pistons and rings. Burns no oil, has great compression.

Run whatever oil, oil filter, or air cleaner you want. Friggin fear mongers. There is no "only way".

If I see any more damn K&N "never" or "forever" posts I'm going to put my forehead through this bloody monitor!!!!!

Rj

Guest Nogbad
Make sure you've oiled it first,or it wont work.

73731[/snapback]

Quite so. An oiled head will go through the monitor better, and with fewer lacerations. Might I suggest mutton tallow.

K&N's would be a serious improvement over the open bell mouths that have been running just fine on my 74 Ducati for at least a decade.  Likely more like two.  Engine still makes shitloads of power. Still has original pistons and rings.  Burns no oil, has great compression.

Run whatever oil, oil filter, or air cleaner you want.  Friggin fear mongers.  There is no "only way".

If I see any more damn K&N "never" or "forever" posts I'm going to put my forehead through this bloody monitor!!!!!

Rj

73727[/snapback]

Agreed. <_>

Synthetics last much longer before breaking down and will protect better at extreme temperatures. So the bottom line? Synthetic is cheap insurance. Get suck in traffic and the motor gets really hot, synthetic may make the difference.

That is also my attitude on using only full synthesis motor oil,

Since the company also suggsts it , they should know. ^_^

K&N's would be a serious improvement over the open bell mouths that have been running just fine on my 74 Ducati for at least a decade.  Likely more like two.  Engine still makes shitloads of power. Still has original pistons and rings.  Burns no oil, has great compression.

Run whatever oil, oil filter, or air cleaner you want.  Friggin fear mongers.  There is no "only way".

Rj

73727[/snapback]

TaDaaa!

True as it is funny..Or at least I hope so.

I don't want a bike that needs special oil and special filters and constant manacuring

and worshiping....I got a woman for that.

I want a bike I can top off with kerosene I stole outta' a barn and drive it up over the

mountain to the nearest gas station if I have to. :mg:

Rj

73727[/snapback]

I dont think theres any dust in Canada, everything is always wet........... :grin::not: