Whatzat?

Dr Gil

When removing the fuel tank on my '02 Le Mans a round rubber thing approximately 3/4" (19 mm) in diameter popped out onto the garage floor. I'm ready to put the tank back on and am faced with the dreaded "parts left over" thing. :whistle:

Does this thing look at all familiar to anyone? Being rubber I'm supposing it is a "bumper" that keeps two pieces of the bike from rubbing/vibrating/banging together. The (what I suppose to be) top seems to either intentionally have some circular ribbing or is that way because it is a footprint of whatever was riding on it. :huh2:

The keys are just included in the pic for a sense of proportion. Please don't bother identifying them. ;)

wuzat.jpg

When removing the fuel tank on my '02 Le Mans a round rubber thing approximately 3/4" (19 mm) in diameter popped out onto the garage floor.  I'm ready to put the tank back on and am faced with the dreaded "parts left over" thing.  :whistle:

Does this thing look at all familiar to anyone?  Being rubber I'm supposing it is a "bumper" that keeps two pieces of the bike from rubbing/vibrating/banging together.  The (what I suppose to be) top seems to either intentionally have some circular ribbing or is that way because it is a footprint of whatever was riding on it.  :huh2:

The keys are just included in the pic for a sense of proportion.  Please don't bother identifying them.  ;)

wuzat.jpg

73952[/snapback]

Dr Gil, I think that may be one of the front gas tank mounts/cushions. If Im wrong Im sure one of the more knowledgable folks here will correct me. :)

sidestand.jpg

Part 11 is the piece I'm tthinking of. The rubber stop on the end of the bolt.

The under tank cushions are two large dohnuts at the front and washers under the bolt at the rear, so its not one of those. I couldn't see any others on the parts diagram.

There are under seat rubber bungs but mine (03) have holes in the middle so doesn't look like one of those, but you can obviously check to what your other ones are like.

So I'd stick with my original guess. I can't measure mine as it fell off :P The added advantage is that it brings tha stand up so it no longer grounds when cornering ( like it did in the first place :not: )

Sorry I don't love you enough to go and take my tank off and look further, as its now dark and raining and I want to ride it to work in a couple of hours.

Are there quiz points at stake?

sidestand.jpg

Part 11 is the piece I'm tthinking of. The rubber stop on the end of the bolt.

The under tank cushions are two large dohnuts at the front and washers under the bolt at the rear, so its not one of those. I couldn't see any others on the parts diagram.

There are under seat rubber bungs but mine (03) have holes in the middle so doesn't look like one of those, but you can obviously check to what your other ones are like.

So I'd stick with my original guess. I can't measure mine as it fell off  :P  The added advantage is that it brings tha stand up so it no longer grounds when cornering ( like it did in the first place  :not:  )

Sorry I don't love you enough to go and take my tank off and look further, as its now dark and raining and I want to ride it to work in a couple of hours.

Are there quiz points at stake?

73961[/snapback]

You are SO right Martin! I'm impressed :notworthy:

Believe me if it was in my power to give you quiz points I would, but... :huh2: Thank you though for solving the mystery.

I removed the sidestand as well as the fuel tank as part of the "replacing my timing cover" ordeal and it must have come off when I was messing with the sidestand and I just didn't notice it until later. :luigi:

I was just out to the garage and it is a perfect match! So are these things just glued on there or what? I see no other way of reattaching (grinding the sidestand is not an issue with me either).

By the way Gil,

You may want to trim that stop in half.  It will give you a little more ground clearance on your side stand.  Isn't that what started this whole misadventure?

See you soon :ninja:

74036[/snapback]

Not really. What caused his actual probs was more the disconnection (or shortening) of part 37.

Hubert

By the way Gil,

You may want to trim that stop in half.  It will give you a little more ground clearance on your side stand.  Isn't that what started this whole misadventure?

See you soon :ninja:

74036[/snapback]

Yep, luhbo's got it right. The crash occured because I left my sidestand down and the kill switch had been removed by the previous owner.

6 months later I'm still paying the price for that boneheaded move. :stupid:

You are SO right Martin!  I'm impressed  :notworthy:

Believe me if it was in my power to give you quiz points I would, but...  :huh2: Thank you though for solving the mystery.

I removed the sidestand as well as the fuel tank as part of the "replacing my timing cover" ordeal and it must have come off when I was messing with the sidestand and I just didn't notice it until later.  :luigi:

I was just out to the garage and it is a perfect match!  So are these things just glued on there or what?  I see no other way of reattaching (grinding the sidestand is not an issue with me either).

73963[/snapback]

Rather than getting a new one from the dealer, go to an autoglass shop, and ask for a squirt of urethane, then push it onto where it should be, and tape it there for 1/2 a day. Never come off. Much cheaper than buying a new specific rubber component from M.G.

Ciao, Steve G.

Yep, luhbo's got it right.  The crash occured because I left my sidestand down and the kill switch had been removed by the previous owner. 

6 months later I'm still paying the price for that boneheaded move.  :stupid:

74049[/snapback]

I knew that of course. Just thought due to that unfortunate event, you might want to optimize the ground clearance. :grin:

Glad to hear of your progress.

:ninja:

Just looked at my sidestand rubber and it does not look like that, Mine has the bolt on it to fit to the bracket just like the drawing martin posted. :huh2:

Curiosity was killing me so i took my tank off (changing the air filter anyway) and there is nothing there that looks like that

Gary

I knew that of course.  Just thought due to that unfortunate event, you might want to optimize the ground clearance.  :grin:

Glad to hear of your progress.

:ninja:

74173[/snapback]

Bill, you're right...ground clearance is good. I may do a bit of grinding on the rubber bit. Stop by sometime when you're out riding and tell me what you think of the project. I want to get a look at the setup on your Scura for the sidestand kill switch besides. I assume it's the same as on the Le Mans. I can't seem to get a handle on how it's supposed to work or where the connections should be made.

grossohc, I think the rubber bit is just glued onto the threaded part and mine fell off. Originally I think it's all sold as one unit. :huh2:

Just looked at my sidestand rubber and it does not look like that, Mine has the bolt on it to fit to the bracket just like the drawing martin posted. :huh2:

74174[/snapback]

grossohc, I think the rubber bit is just glued onto the threaded part and mine fell off.  Originally I think it's all sold as one unit.  :huh2:

74185[/snapback]

Yep it's just glued on to the bolt. If you must have one I'd go down Steve's route rather than get a new one. I manage okay with out.

The ECU is held with similar rubbers, but I'm not sure about the size.

How does the other side of it look?

Hubert

74199[/snapback]

Mine is bolted down at the corners through rubber washers/blocks. Thet therefore have holes through the middle.