Plastic welder

bigbikerrick

With everyting around the house, on bikes/cars etc made of some sort of plastic , It seems like a good idea to have a plastic welder in the tool crib. I could have used one yesterday to fix an intake tube that cracked on my vulcan nomad, but made a a so so repair with epoxy. do any of you folks have any experience/reccomendations as to plastic welding kits such as compressed air vs airless etc, etc.

I purchased a airless one, it cost more than the air version, but it came with all types of different plastic rod and a few other goodies. I am going to Cough, cough, repair my broken up Kawasaki with it.

You need to know what type of plastic you will be working on and where the repair is going to be made. Epoxy is one of the good ways to repair plastic and it could be better than using a plastic welder. How did the intake tube crack?

Mike

With everyting around the house, on bikes/cars etc made of some sort of plastic , It seems like a good idea to have a plastic welder in the tool crib. I could have used one yesterday to fix an intake tube that cracked on my vulcan nomad, but made a a so so repair with epoxy. do any of you folks have any experience/reccomendations as to plastic welding kits such as compressed air vs airless etc, etc.

74334[/snapback]

Here is a good link to repairing motorcycle plastic. I have purchased the epoxy fillers from them. I have their plastic welder as well, but purchased it on ebay for a slight savings.

Enjoy,

Mike

So, where does one look for a plastic welder?  What does one look for in a plastic welder?

74386[/snapback]

I purchased a airless one, it cost more than the air version, but it came with all types of different plastic rod and a few other goodies. I am going to Cough, cough, repair my broken up Kawasaki with it.

You need to know what type of plastic you will be working on and where the repair is going to be made.  Epoxy is one of the good ways to repair plastic and it could be better than using a plastic welder.  How did the intake tube crack?

Mike

74363[/snapback]

The intake tube runs between the cylinders from the left side on the v twin where the air filter is to the right side where the throttle bodies are, it cracked or separated on a seam, I think it was a defective part. Kawasaki wants 75 bux for it, it seems an easy fix with a plastic welder, and then I have the tool for future "stuff" I used jb weld brand epoxy once the stuff that you knead like dough to mix,with your fingers , but the adhesion was poor ,and it came separated.

Here is a good link to repairing motorcycle plastic.  I have purchased the epoxy fillers from them.  I have their plastic welder as well, but purchased it on ebay for a slight savings.

Enjoy,

Mike

74392[/snapback]

wheres the link, Mike? I couldnt see it.

Well heres the link, sorry, Uh mmm, you know, brain cells..... :stupid:

http://www.urethanesupply.com/5500ht.html

This is the welder I purchased, check out the site, like the how to identify the different plastics and how to do plastic repairs. Heck, you can even fix your plastic bumpers on yer car! :P:

Mike

wheres the link, Mike? I couldnt see it.

74395[/snapback]

Well heres the link, sorry, Uh mmm, you know, brain cells..... :stupid:

http://www.urethanesupply.com/5500ht.html

This is the welder I purchased, check out the site, like the how to identify the different plastics and how to do plastic repairs.  Heck, you can even fix your plastic bumpers on yer car! :P:

Mike

74432[/snapback]

Thanks, Mike thats a very informative site