HEADER WRAP

MINNESOTALEMANS

Ii WHEN TO MY AUTO PARTS SHOP AND BOUGHT SOME DEI wrap for headers and put it on the pipes it said to soak in water then apply it. my question is do you think it will help stop the fuelboiling when it realy hot out and you stop for gas andhave to wait a half hour to go again? have done all the other mods to it . fuel pump wrap and lines and removed the tip over valve. it looks good on it but will it last and work? 2002 lemans

Ii WHEN TO MY  AUTO PARTS SHOP AND BOUGHT SOME DEI wrap for headers and put it on the pipes it said to soak in water then apply it. my question is do you think it will help stop the fuelboiling when it realy hot out and you stop for gas andhave to wait a half hour to go again? have done all the other mods to it . fuel pump wrap and lines and removed the tip over valve. it looks good on it  but will it last and work? 2002  lemans

76243[/snapback]

I don't think it's the heat from the exhaust headers that's causing the fuel delivery system overheating. I think it's caused by the heat of the cylinders [next to the exhaust headers the gottest part of the engine] and the close proximiity of the fuel lines to those parts. I've managed to stop this problem with carefull re-routing of the lines away from these parts. Ryan has come up with the great idea of aeronautically sourced fuel line wraps made to isolate heat from fuel lines. Still others have wrapped externally equipped fuel pumps [pre '02] with similiar product.

You may have to "burp" the fuel line coming from the fuel tank, which will now have what I'll call 'air', which means loosening the hose clamp and pulling the hose off, sometimes not all the way off, just enough to allow the 'hissing' of air, and residual fuel, to escape. There will be some inherent pressure [5-10 psi, not much], and once released to 0 pressure, it seems to not do the hard starting [worked for me anyways], don't ask me the mechanics of it all works, it's just something I've learned after it's happened a few times for me 50 miles from nowhere on the side of the road.

Ciao, Steve G.

This vapor lock stuff has been hashed to death. Just ask Al :nerd:  It gets hotter than hell here in the summer & I've got a black bike & have never had  vapor lock problems :huh2:

76272[/snapback]

I juss wanna know where I can get good (ideal) heat wrap for the fuel lines. :huh2:

Guest MotoMessiah
I juss wanna know where I can get good (ideal) heat wrap for the fuel lines.  :huh2:

76280[/snapback]

There's quite a few outlets for it - from automotive to m/c parts suppliers of your choice. There's a tape version that simply wraps around the lines and there's a woven sleeve version that requires the removal of the lines to install.

Example...

Ii WHEN TO MY  AUTO PARTS SHOP AND BOUGHT SOME DEI wrap for headers and put it on the pipes it said to soak in water then apply it. my question is do you think it will help stop the fuelboiling when it realy hot out and you stop for gas andhave to wait a half hour to go again? have done all the other mods to it . fuel pump wrap and lines and removed the tip over valve. it looks good on it  but will it last and work? 2002  lemans

76243[/snapback]

Are you talking about putting the header wrap material around the bikes headpipes, or around the fuel line/fuel filter as an insulator? :homer:

Why not check the boat supply shops? In the past I purchased some type of fire resistant hose which is used on boats to sleeve over fuel hoses as a fire protector. It was red reuuber on the outside, about 1 inch OD and 1/2-9/16 ID.

Ii WHEN TO MY  AUTO PARTS SHOP AND BOUGHT SOME DEI wrap for headers and put it on the pipes it said to soak in water then apply it.

:2c:

http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.asp

vapor lock: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...lite=vapor+lock

Exhaust wrap : http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?...te=exhaust+wrap

041304dumbquestions1hf.jpg

76302[/snapback]

google smoogle, I want to know what works best for this situation not whats out there. google can give you the links but can't always give you the personal experience. sometimes I find better content on altavista too, more global in a way. :nerd:

Go to your nearest airport, find an aircraft mechanic and ask him if you can get any heat shielding for fuel/oil lines. They use it on almost every aircraft somewhere.

76382[/snapback]

I live nextdoor to a small airport, privates only, they use it on cesnas and helicopters too?