Tank Bags

Guest MikeC

I use a KTM bag which was designed for the 625. It didn't work too well for off road riding but fits well on the V11. Its smaller than the MG factory bag but I like the way the back of the bag slopes forward such that I fit in right behind it. The bag appears to be bomb proof and costs about $100. You might find on in the KTM Hardparts Catalog.

I use a KTM bag which was designed for the 625. It didn't work too well for off road riding but fits well on the V11.  Its smaller than the MG factory bag but I like the way the back of the bag slopes forward such that I fit in right behind it. The bag appears to be bomb proof and costs about $100. You might find on in the KTM Hardparts Catalog.

78627[/snapback]

I'll have to check that out, as my Chase Harper is starting to get that "old tankbag smell". I'd like to find one of the M-G bags, but I've heard they're pretty scarce. But I'd really like to get a puppy. That would be really nice. I like puppies. :grin:

Typical tank bag mount. I just looped the front strap around the frame in front of the tank. In the rear there is a single strap that I have attached to the gas tank mounting bolt.

78483[/snapback]

Dan,

The tank bag and accessories came today. Size is perfect, looks like it will hold all I need for a full day out on the goose. Looks great, construction is bomb-proof and the price was awesome.

Thanks for recommandation.

Mike

• 9 months later...

I just got the Bags-Connection Engage Sport for my 2002 V11 Scura. Had previously used an Oxford Humpback tankbag, but never cared for the awkward straps and decided to replace it when the zipper broke. The Engage Sport is a very nicely constructed bag, and I like to concept of the mounting system, but it will require some modification to fit on the V11 Scura.

I haven't yet been able to fit the Guzzi-specific gas cap mount from SW-Motec. The problem with this mount on the Scura is that the gas cap is recessed about 1/2" to 3/4" down below the carbon tank cover. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the rubber tank covers that are probably thinner. The solution I have in mind is to cut a thick ring a heavy felt or rubber and put this between the gas cap and the mount to lift it up high enough to clear the tank cover. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Stuart

Haven't tried one yet, but looking at the "bags-connection" system. You install a connection ring on the gas tank flange and connect the tank bag.

Anyone have any experience?

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/441/

I haven't yet been able to fit the Guzzi-specific gas cap mount from SW-Motec. The problem with this mount on the Scura is that the gas cap is recessed about 1/2" to 3/4" down below the carbon tank cover. I'm not sure whether this is a problem with the rubber tank covers that are probably thinner. The solution I have in mind is to cut a thick ring a heavy felt or rubber and put this between the gas cap and the mount to lift it up high enough to clear the tank cover. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

I have the Tank Locker set-up from Luggage Locker on my '03 LeMans. My bike has the later style tank without the "chin-pad". I still had to shim about 1/16" between the

Luggage Locker tank ring and the Guzzi gas cap ring. I used small stainless steel washers as shims at each screw so the set-up would be stiff. I inserted small strips of rubberized foam between the screws to reduce stress on the Luggage Locker ring, which is made from some kind of hard plastic. Because the Luggage Locker ring is a full circle, my gas cap now contacted the 2 rear-most screws as it swung open. I replaced those 2 screws with S/S buttonheads and the problem was solved.

The SW-Motech tank ring

is horseshoe shaped and open to the rear so it's much more suitable for shimming. The gas cap shouldn't contact it as it swings through it's arc. It looks to be aluminum to me, so I would make a shim plate, using the ring as a template, from solid aluminum or plastic (delrin maybe?). If you shim 1/2" or more with felt or rubber, the whole set-up will lose rigidity.

I have over 10.000 km on my set-up in lots of rough conditions and I'm very pleased with it. Here is a LeMans (not mine) with the same unit.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...