Buell vs Triumph

Steve G.

In last weeks MCN they say that Buell are planning to make a road legal version of their limited edition race bike.

Sometimes you have take what MCN say with a pinch of salt but if it is true then maybe the bigger motor will take the performance up another level.

I think the race bike's claimed stats are 150bhp and 160kgs- if the road bike makes say, 120bhp and weighs 185kgs then it will still be pretty quick.

Guy  :helmet:

78319[/snapback]

If they do it will be interesting to see what the bore and stroke will be. The race bike has a bore bigger than the stroke which is the exact opposite of almost any Harley and Buell.

Yamaha is threatening to bring out the M6 - a 600 with more borrowed from the M1 than the R6. Rumours of USD 100,000 brings back memories of the R7.

Steve....... Steve mate, My missus has a Firebolt with factory race kit... and it is nothing like you talk about.

The XB12r would be the smothest bike I have ever ridden, nothing has come loose on it and it would cream my V11 before I had it started, the Buell is bloody fast, it wheelies well in 2nd and most importantly it handles like a dream... I have ridden it on the track and in the hills and it is magic.

However it does have a differant feel to it as you are so close to the frount wheel, it feels like it drifts a bit.

The Buell stars 1st time and idles sweet, it has never staled. I rate her bike to the max (turnig circle is shittie as tho) it just makes me grin ear to ear..... so I really think that you had a lemon in this case.

profilepic3380_8.gif

78514[/snapback]

Sometimes, someone posts something that makes your day.... Thanks! :D

Sometimes, someone posts something that makes your day.... Thanks!  :D

78588[/snapback]

Hey no worries, Gwens bike started life as a black 04 Firbolt. A guy that owns his own bike shop mainly HD and Duc's brought it, now he lives in the middle of know were and brought this bike for himself as a BEARs race bike.... that is why it has no pillion pegs and has a custom paint job. It was finely regerested last year and the owner relised he had no time to race it so Gwen brought it from him with 4000k on it.

It is awesome to ride, not the best to tour on as once above 120k there isent much wind protection, but then I am spoilt by the V11 fairing.

Gwen loves this bike to pieces and I under stand why, I wouldent have one my self unless I could afford more than one bike, but every time I ride it I think I want one but then I am doing dumb shit on it like whelling past cars and burning rubber in the hills.... not ya every day ride, Buell rock :bier:

IMG_0288xx.jpg

IMG_0298xx.jpg

I went & test rode a XB12R today..... I really wanted to like it.....I have never been so disappointed with a bike WHILE test riding it.

Maybe it really NEEDS that racekit, it was so slower to rev up compared to the Scura.

However, I know I SPOILT the test ride as yesterday I rode the KTM Superduke....again.... I know it is unfair to compare a 'modern' v-twin to a not so modern one....So.... I did'nt compare!

I took the Buell on face value, looks great, interesting, flcikable, it should reward with it's 'own' style of ride....right?

Lastly, perhaps I i am disappointed because it pretends & is marketed to be something it is'nt.

Trackability - first rate, brakes - good, that aweful sound (is the engine OK under there?,the heat on your right leg, 2000KMs on the odo...that's good enough right?)

The Buell seems held back by that engine & gearbox.... while not providing any nostalgic trip like some makes' engine configs.

sorry....there maybe another reason Moto Guzzi uses that age old engine (besides not having money) - it's a a classic in the true sense, only 90 horses - but each of them THOROUGHBREDS!

:helmet:

I went & test rode a XB12R today..... I really wanted to like it.....I have never been so disappointed with a bike WHILE test riding it.

Maybe it really NEEDS that racekit, it was so slower to rev up compared to the Scura.

However, I know I SPOILT the test ride as yesterday I rode the KTM Superduke....again.... I know it is unfair to compare a 'modern' v-twin to a not so modern one....So.... I did'nt compare!

I took the Buell on face value, looks great, interesting, flcikable, it should reward with it's 'own' style of ride....right?

Lastly, perhaps I i am disappointed because it pretends & is marketed to be something it is'nt.

Trackability - first rate, brakes - good, that aweful sound (is the engine OK under there?,the heat on your right leg, 2000KMs on the odo...that's good enough right?)

The Buell seems held back by that engine & gearbox.... while not providing any nostalgic trip like some makes' engine configs.

sorry....there maybe another reason Moto Guzzi uses that age old engine (besides not having money) - it's a a classic in the true sense, only 90 horses - but each of them THOROUGHBREDS!

:helmet:

79135[/snapback]

Fill me in on the SuperDuke iquir....inquiri... ppl want to know. :grin:

Fill me in on the SuperDuke iquir....inquiri... ppl want to know.  :grin:

79146[/snapback]

What would you like to know?

- it feels like you are spinning the wheel with your hand (that's how the twist on the grip relates the power sent to the wheel ) :D

- the ride position is quite comfy, the wind blast at highre speeds is perhaps not.

- the engine has a snarl that makes you know you are on a special bike (however I did'nt care that much for the 'cam' noise - similar to a ZX10-R.

- you can actually putter around & then unleash the horses

- you surprise yourself that you can ride so quickly, and how this bike has turned you into some sort of silly stunt god...

- it's what a modern take on a V-Twin can bring, and has created it's own category...it really has.

top marks for first real road bike attempt.

What would you like to know?

- it feels like you are spinning the wheel with your hand (that's how the twist on the grip relates the power sent to the wheel ) :D

- the ride position is quite comfy, the wind blast at highre speeds is perhaps not.

- the engine has a snarl that makes you know you are on a special bike (however I did'nt care that much for the 'cam' noise - similar to a ZX10-R.

- you can actually putter around & then unleash the horses

- you surprise yourself that you can ride so quickly, and how this bike has turned you into some sort of silly stunt god...

- it's what a modern take on a V-Twin can bring, and has created it's own category...it really has.

top marks for first real road bike attempt.

79153[/snapback]

youre not helping I want one of those soooo bad but they aren't available in the states as of yet. Which is maybe good for me the thing is a total toy. :bike:

here's my .02 worth in reply to various good comments...

I like Buells a lot, in part due to how different they are (as opposed to the Triumph TT 600 which seemed to be a stale 1991 600 CBR, but the TT being released years later)*. The push-rod, air-cooled torquey motor in a modern package has a cool mix, especially since it provides good performance.

Based on Buell's torture testing I would give a different Buell (from a different dealer) another chance.

I was surprised to find the Firebolt I test rode was very difficult to flop back and forth while riding off of a freeway exit ramp (especially compared to the heavier V11)....Buells might be a bit too short & too stiff. (or there could be many other factors too such as gyroscopic affect of a heavy flywheel, the Guzzi crank spinning around the same direction of lean axis probably, etc.)

I do agree the Buell dash is cheap looking crap. I'm surprised to see Buell develop model #3 as the Ulysses. Is there really enough market for that type of bike? Why not do a co-branded project & build an H-D/Buell TRUE sport tourer with the Revolution engine?

The Formula Xtreme XBRR is actually 1340 cc. The AMA rules seems to be catering to the Buell, allowing things like its rearward bodywork. Maybe Japan will produce 675 triples in the next 2 years. Then, the Formula Xtreme class would be more entertaining with Japan, England, & the US racing again. Many of you might enjoy another motorcycle forum/blog: www.thekneeslider.com There's a lot of opinion about the Buell XBRR on that site.

* good going Triumph with the 675. The triple is appealing, again in large part, due to its different.

youre not helping I want one of those soooo bad but they aren't available in the states as of yet. Which is maybe good for me the thing is a total toy.  :bike:

79156[/snapback]

DeBen,

if you can't wait, there's a Victory/KTM dealer in north Seattle that is getting the SuperDuke (not sure how, but I looked at one with an akropovic exhaust--sounded ok. They've had both the all black & orange).

LYNNWOOD MOTOPLEX

17900 Highway 99

LYNNWOOD , WA 98037

Phone: 425-774-0505

DeBen,

if you can't wait, there's a Victory/KTM dealer in north Seattle that is getting the SuperDuke (not sure how, but I looked at one with an akropovic exhaust--sounded ok.  They've had both the all black & orange).

LYNNWOOD MOTOPLEX

17900 Highway 99

LYNNWOOD , WA 98037

Phone: 425-774-0505

79243[/snapback]

true but at 15k I can wait. lots of other bikes that are more readily available right now for much less. IF I had the money I'd have them ship one special for me. but alas my weekly lottery ticket has yet to provide. :huh2: I would just love to test ride one to know for sure if I save up for one or move on. :huh2: I thought it was funny that they developed the SuperDuke with the american market in mind(at least an article I read said so) and they haven't made it here yet. :huh2:

want in one hand; poop in the other. Right?

http://www.motoplex.net/preowned/view_item.asp?Ad_ID=260

true but at 15k I can wait. lots of other bikes that are more readily available right now for much less. IF I had the money I'd have them ship one special for me. but alas my weekly lottery ticket has yet to provide.  :huh2: I would just love to test ride one to know for sure if I save up for one or move on.  :huh2: I thought it was funny that they developed the SuperDuke with the american market in mind(at least an article I read said so) and they haven't made it here yet.  :huh2:

79247[/snapback]

DeBen, to be honest I was under-impressed. The styling would get old real quick for me.