LAMINAR LIP

Guest vagrant

Whats a laminar lip :huh2:

78331[/snapback]

It's an additional blade that fits to the screen, rather like a spoiler on the back of a hot hatch back. The theory is that it diverts some of the air giving the effect of a large fairing, but still allows some to pass through to reduce turbulence.

dbdicker's Scura has one

Mixed reviews at best

Has anybody tried one of the Laminar lips on a Coppa Itila yet?

78328[/snapback]

I use one on a lemans and I am happy with it moving the pocket up a little at speed. not the best looking bit but it is functional, I think the MRA is a better deal for lemans but I cannot speak for a coppa bug diverter :huh2:

I have had one on my Ballabio for quite a while now. It is butt ugly but works pretty well in removing the turbulence on the helmet for the stock flyscreen. The trick is to remove the black edge trim from the stock windscreen first.

Randy

IMG_0634.JPGIMG_0639.JPG

I should clarify that the pics in the above post were taken before I removed the black edging from the stock screen. I was fairly dissapointed in the Laminer Lip before I did this. It was Micha at Moto International that suggested I try removing the trim. It turned out to be a big improvement...actually makes me wonder if just removing the trim without the laminer lip would also improve things. :huh2:

Randy

loopy lip ! this thing looks ridiculous. if ya don't want wind forces,drive a car ,and keep the windows up with the ac on. :2c:

78380[/snapback]

It's not the wind blast I have a problem with. It's the turbulence. My previous bike, a MZ Traveller had a very smooth windblast against my helmet...the Ballabio, not so great. I've noticed at least one magazine review that also mentioned this trait. Probably a result of being a parts bin bike :mg: . The higher handlebars with a screen they use they use on other bikes is a bad aerodynamic combination. Hopefully Greg Field's experiment with replacing the screen mount with one from the sport will work and I can copy him. Aestetically and aerodynamically it's the only thing I don't like about the bike.

Randy

It's not the wind blast I have a problem with.  It's the turbulence.  My previous bike, a MZ Traveller had a very smooth windblast against my helmet...the Ballabio, not so great.  I've noticed at least one magazine review that also mentioned this trait. Probably a result of being a parts bin bike :mg: .  The higher handlebars with a screen they use they use on other bikes is a bad aerodynamic combination.  Hopefully Greg Field's experiment with replacing the screen mount with one from the sport will work and I can copy him.  Aestetically and aerodynamically it's the only thing I don't like about the bike.

Randy

78413[/snapback]

I used the saeng/tz microswirl on my Ballabio, and it worked wonders. I'm 6'4" so it wasn't the perfect solution... for that I bought a LeMans with an MRE Windscreen, but the micro-swirl really helped the Ballabio a lot. It actually looks nice too, at least I think so.