Gutless Guzzi motor

vintagegear

With all the recent off topic trolling, it seemed amusing to start one that was at least Guzzi related. I'm about to blast the case. Thought I'd try using crushed walnut media... Anyone use this media on a case before?

79002[/snapback]

:D Oh, ok.

I've used walnut on aluminium before, works great. I'd be concerned about getting the stuff wedged into oil galleries and stuff. Never seeing a bar Guzzi engine like the picture. I'm not sure of all oil lines on Guzzi's are external lines.

Ciao, Steve G.

If it was me, I would put spare bolts into all the threaded holes before blasting, and try to plug all the internal oilways. You could cut plugs from wooden dowel and glue them in place with silicone rubber sealant.

I think it's better to keep the blasting medium out in the first place than clean it out later.

On the walnut shell, that should be a lot kinder to the ally and should represent a lower risk if any is left behind afterwards as it isn't as hard or as abrasive as glass or alumina.

Guest george in vancouver
If it was me, I would put spare bolts into all the threaded holes before blasting, and try to plug all the internal oilways. You could cut plugs from wooden dowel and glue them in place with silicone rubber sealant.

I think it's better to keep the blasting medium out in the first place than clean it out later.

On the walnut shell, that should be a lot kinder to the ally and should represent a lower risk if any is left behind afterwards as it isn't as hard or as abrasive as glass or alumina.

79010[/snapback]

If you can get access to a rig set up for baking soda blasting it has the advantage of being water soluble so with a vigorous washing (dish washer works great) there's no possibility of lurking grit. I hear too that sugar works well for the same purpose.

DSCF2721.JPG

Some companies offer dry ice blasting. I suppose thats the ultimate in convenience. It's used a lot in the pharmaceutical and food industries for removing deposits in heat transfer equipment where you need a hygienic blasting medium that disappears completely. I don't know how well it would work on an engine block.

With all the recent off topic trolling, it seemed amusing to start one that was at least Guzzi related. I'm about to blast the case. Thought I'd try using crushed walnut media... Anyone use this media on a case before?

79002[/snapback]

The walnut shells are an industry standard in aviation. Works well on alloys but as mentioned above, be carefull of the oil passages as they will get cloged if not properly cleaned.

Albeit not MG related but there was an infamous CH-47 (Chinook) helicopter accident over Manhiem Germany back in the early 80's that was attributed to depot maintenance using walnut shells to blast a transmission clean during overhaul. Long story short, gear box failed due to oil starvation from cloged gallies (walnut shells) with resultant rotor mesh @ 8,ooo' over Manhiem with a sport parachute team abord. Pretty horrendous accident with most not making it... a few survivors were able to un-ass the bird and sequence through the rotors unscathed :o

Walnut works great on the block, you can use glass bead media everywere BUT the block. Glass works great on the heads etc and is much faster. The key is to clean clean and then clean after your done to remove any leftover materials.

waspp

The soda sounds like a splendid idea.

Whatever you decide to use, when you are finished, you can seal up the case with silicate to preserve all your hard work.

I've got a block in about the same condition (you're right, they're gutless this way...but the gas mileage is wonderful). I just took mine to the car wash and did the degreaser thing. It's got some slight discoloration, but I decided I would live with that rather than tempt fate with blasting media. I consider that it has battle scars.