Isle of Mann suggestions?

QuatroValvole

My steady date and I are planning to go to the Manx GP in late August this year. :race: Would any of you with knowlege of the place care to make suggestions about where to stay, watch the races, have a pint? We've never been before so anything will be appreciated.

Rhencullen was a great place but, I heard they closed that area off to spectators :bbblll:

The Gooseneck...you can watch some of the racers fishtail out of the corner & see the spectators on the grassy verge dive for cover :D

Bray Hill & Ballaugh Bridge never fail to please.

I'm sure more of the experienced spectators will pitch in with "secret" viewing areas.

I stopped at a crossing before Ballaugh bridge where the only spectators were me and the senior citizen marshall. It was a long straight. From a distance, you could hear a racer approaching at "full chat". After about 20 seconds, he ZOOMED by. 20 seconds later he was out of earshot. For the entire time he was withing hearing distance, his throttle had been held at "full chat".

I turned to look at the marshall and he just grinned. :D

Get a good map of the Isle. Once the racing starts, you may be trapped inside or outside the course. This doesn't mean you can't move around from viewing area to viewing area.

It's a great racing atmosphere but with the loads of squids on the roads between races...next time I might go to the Manx GP.

Well as the course is 37 3/4 miles long, nobody can claim to have spectated everywhere.

There is always a trade off. It depends what facilities if any you are wanting. Most of the course it is just surrounded by countryside. There are still a few places you can get a beer and a burger.

Manx GP is considerably quieter than the TT....More of a club event atmosphere. You generally get the more mature types ;) and those who like the classics too.

There is less put on in the way of entertainment than at TT time. If you like a quiet pint, a rally atmosphere, and beautiful rural countryside you won't be disappointed. There is a lot of history here all around you too.

The capital Douglas is where most of the activity will be, but there are other less busy places you could stay...Castletown, or Port Erin in the South...Peel in the West, and Ramsey in the North.

Give me a shout nearer the time, and I could give more detail for you.

In the meantime, this URL may be of interest:

http://www.iommgp.com/

Nige. B)