Insulating the fuel pump and fuel lines

bigbikerrick

Beautiful Arizona day almost 80 degrees, went for a 50 mile ride on the Guzzi, she ran beautiful,came home, parked it in the garage, then went back an hour later to "show it off" to a friend of mine,who just came back from Italy and has a hard -on for an Italian bike. as I was pointing out all the finer points of my beloved V 11 sport, he asked me to show him how the Ti exhaust system sounds, I went to fire it up ,and it coughed,sputtered, died, 3-4 times. It has only done this once before in 8K miles. I sprayed some cool water from a drinking bottle on the front part of the fuel pump, and it immediately fired up and ran correctly! I went to the local NAPA store again, and bought some self adhesive fiberglass/ mylar/reflective aluminum sheet about 12 inches by 14 inches , thats supposed to be used to insulate car starters from heat. since I was already going to replace my breather hose, I think Im going to wrap the fuel pump,and fuel hoses like a baked potato. One thing I noticed when the bike wouldent run, is that the fuel pressure regulator on the right side of the gas tank made a wierd moaning sound whenever I turned on the key, while the fuel pump was pumping.... Is it possible my problem was the pressure regulator? :(

The moan sounds like you need to remove the tip over valve. Run the bike down the road for awhile & stop & open the gas cap. If there's vacumn on it then the valve is staying closed, this will make the sound you heard when you first turned the key.

81444[/snapback]

Hey Tex, I guess I can just remove that little plastic bad boy and splice the hose together with a little connecting pipe, or just replace the whole hose, and route it down to the bottom of the bike somewhere...Right? although I have my doubts if my problem was caused by non-venting of the fuel tank, because the one other time it happened, I opened the gas cap, and there was no suction, and the bike didnt start and run right until i squirted cool water on that damn external fuel pump. same scenario as this time, although this time I didnt open the gas cap. :blush:

Guest Rich Fernandez

I have had the same experience but more frequently than you. I had the folks at E.P. & F. in Prescott move and insulate the fuel pump. So far no problems, but I live in Flagstaff and the test is during a hard run in hot weather. We've been too cold for that as yet. :2c:

I have had the same experience but more frequently than you. I had the folks at E.P. & F. in Prescott move and insulate the fuel pump. So far no problems, but I live in Flagstaff and the test is during a hard run in hot weather. We've been too cold for that as yet. :2c:

81518[/snapback]

Hey Rich, I live down in Douglas, needless to say, its alot warmer here, Im curious, where did the guys in Prescott move your fuel pump to, and what did they insulate it with? Im right in the middle of this project now and your way sounds like a better solution, Thanks Rick.

Guest Rich Fernandez

Rick, I don't know the type of insulation. They replaced the fuel fliter using a smaller one & moved it & the fuel pump away from the left cyclinder toward the spine and air box. Removed the air box lid. Replaced with copper tubing part of the fuel line. I am not mechanically inclined so the effect of all this for me will be in the riding. Mat at E.P. & F. is the person who did the work and I just got off the phone with him. He said he'd be glad to talk to you about exactly what he did, (928) 778 7910, just mention the 2002 Scura he worked on over Christmas. I've ridden the bike a number of times since the work and all seems well but as I said the true test will be when the weather gets hot. We are experiencing the first snow storm of the season. A welcome event given the lack of moisture this year, needless to say, no riding for awhile. Good luck with the project. Rich

Rick,  I don't know the type of insulation. They replaced the fuel fliter using a smaller one & moved it & the fuel pump away from the left cyclinder toward the spine and air box. Removed the air box lid. Replaced with copper tubing part of the fuel line. I am not mechanically inclined so the effect of all this for me will be in the riding. Mat at E.P. & F. is the person who did the work and I just got off the phone with him. He said he'd be glad to talk to you about exactly what he did, (928) 778 7910, just mention the 2002 Scura he worked on over Christmas. I've ridden the bike a number of times since the work and all seems well but as I said the true test will be when the weather gets hot. We are experiencing the first snow storm of the season. A welcome event given the lack of moisture this year, needless to say, no riding for awhile. Good luck with the project. Rich

81714[/snapback]

Hi Rich, I just got off the phone with Matt, at EPF. real nice guy! he detailed what he did to your bike, basically, he moved the fuel pump forward and upwards on the left side of the spine frame, using the front mounting bolt only for the strap, he then made up a longer fuel line between the tank and the pump, insulating it with reflective insulatrion like used on the back of dirt bike plastics, and zip tied it up away from the left cylinder, towards the frame. he removed the airbox lid as the front left snorkels location along the left side of the frame is now occupied by the fuel pump, in its new location. he substitited a smaller generic fuel filter from auto zone,and used copper tubing for the fuel line between the fuel pump and filter,as this is a high pressure area. the whole thing, pump and lines were insulated, and a fbf type of airbox lid was installed( I think matt said he fabricated it) He really seems to know his sh!t. I think if I ever need something done to my bike by a dealer, I will be making a trip to Prescott! Thanks alot. :mg: