FBF x-over, wich one do you use

Guest rosso mandello

Guest rosso mandello

As I see it, FBF offers 2 different x-over options, wich one should I go for

see attaced picturespost-1249-1142086960_thumb.jpgpost-1249-1142087121_thumb.jpg

ciao

As I see it, FBF offers 2 different x-over options, wich one should I go for

see attaced picturesFBf_x_over_v_11_jpg.jpgFBF_1_.jpg

ciao

81780[/snapback]

I believe the X style replaces the H style from FBF. I just bought one and only the X shape was offered. I hope to have time to install it this weekend. If I do I'll report seat of the pants impressions.

Guest ratchethack

The X crossover is the kind that most commonly replaces the stock "expansion chamber", aka "sardine can". I haven't seen any dyno testing done on the H type for the V-11, and this would possibly be an indicator of it's lack of popularity. On the other hand, there's lots of dyno charts out there on the X types, and I've observed the "saimesed" X type crossovers on car exhausts and other vehicles also, and it seems to be the most popular performance choice for hot-rodders.

Looking at them side by side, it's easy to visualize high-speed exhaust gas pulses passing through the X type from one side to another - That is, the right cylinder exhaust pulse passes mostly over to the left-hand muffler, and vice-versa, with considerable pressure "venting" into the other side in the process, giving each exhaust pulse two "easy" avenues of escape - a much more direct path, lower resistance, and presumably less detrimental reflected wave resonance and back-pressure.

With the H type, the exhaust gas has farther to travel to get to the other side, not to mention two sharp 90-degree angle turns. Laws of physics being what they are, just by observation, the X type would seem to be the better choice from a performance standpoint. ^_^

BAA, TJM, & YMMV

FBF used to post a before and after dyno graph of H-crossover.

The current click here for dyno graph is a broken link...

The peformance improvement was similar (almost identical) than what we have seen with the Stucchi at

http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/v11sport.html and

http://www.visi.com/~moperfserv/more_mg.htm

But it seems like common sense to me go with an X over an H, unless the H allowed other benefits like a center stand or low slung battery.

Also, I think the X would be stronger than an H.

http://www.ferracci.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=22

$239 is not too bad of a price

Guest ratchethack

What Dave said about the hanger. Without a quality, shock-mounted hanger on the crossover, there's too much stress on the rest of the exhaust system, resulting in higher probability of stress cracks on the headers and the crossover itself. A friend of mine just had his cracked headers welded up on his LeMans for this exact reason. The cracks were at the junction with the heads and had started backfiring symptoms. This can result in burnt exhaust valves. You don't wanna tempt fate here. :thumbsup:

But where is the tab to hang the X crossover?

Sorry, but I don't buy the you don't need it argument  <_>

For $349 Stucchi gives you a tab with the crossover :grin:

010615.JPG

81796[/snapback]

go for the "X"....get the Stucchi one!!

Why?.... 'cause it looks better, and STUCCHI sounds soooo cool. as in " l have a Stucchi x-over"...see? it's the right thing to do!! :D

besides the other poor pipe looks industrial and not at all :helmet: ltalian!!

:bier:

Cheers

Van

[iMHO, for 110 bucks it would be easy and not to mention very inexpensive to make a bracket held with 2 hose type clamps( mostly invisible when mounted on the bike) for those who feel the rear mounting is important... so the Ferracci X over makes sense..but if one has more dough than time , facilities or skills..then its only money...

Good point.

There may also be other advantages to the FBF X-over like,

lighter weight, more corrosion resistant, more powerful, etc.

Just because they look alike, does not mean they are alike.