speedo cable breakage

Guest trispeed

Guest trispeed

Hello all, anyone have experience with an 'updated' speedo cable for the V11 Sport series? I have a 2004 sport and the cable broke at the transmission end inside the 45 degree( approx.) angled fitting. Moto Int'l sent a new cable and says it's update, though it has a 15 degree bend and only fits under the bottom of the right side throttle body with significant force.

Can you guys check under the rubber boot at the transmission end and tell me what angle fitting you have and if the cable is rubbing against the throttle body mounting hardware?? Thanks!

:!: Hi Trispeed, my speedo cable have also 45° approx. angled fitting, but is true,the new one have another angulation. Ciao #60 Giovanni :helmet:

Hello all, anyone have experience with an 'updated' speedo cable for the V11 Sport series? I have a 2004 sport and the cable broke at the transmission end inside the 45 degree( approx.) angled fitting. Moto Int'l sent a new cable and says it's update, though it has a 15 degree bend and only fits under  the bottom of the right side throttle body with significant force.

Can you guys check under the rubber boot at the transmission end and tell me what angle fitting you have and if the cable is rubbing against the throttle body mounting hardware?? Thanks!

81791[/snapback]

Guest mphcycles
Hello all, anyone have experience with an 'updated' speedo cable for the V11 Sport series? I have a 2004 sport and the cable broke at the transmission end inside the 45 degree( approx.) angled fitting. Moto Int'l sent a new cable and says it's update, though it has a 15 degree bend and only fits under  the bottom of the right side throttle body with significant force.

81791[/snapback]

I have seen too many of these cable fail, all in the same place. Its too much bend.

On PDI I use a tubing bender and straighten the curve at the bottom so that the cable

now fits above the bracket that goes between the throttle bodies. MAKE CERTAIN it does not interfere with the throttle rod. A dash of oil down the cable cant hurt either.

Since adopting this practice we have had no failures of speedo cables.