Duck, Duck or Goose!

Guest AdamofKC

What do you think should be my next bike?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be my next bike?

• Ducati Monster 620/750/800/900/1000
    • Ducati Supersport 620/750/800/900/1000
    • Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
    • Whatever your Italian loving heart desires!

Ditto for most of the comments.  Notice that Ben being young, he probably weighs less than us old farts weighing in at 200#...  I have a 2002 V11 Scura and my daughter has a 2002 Monster 750.  You can imagine that when I get on either of the bikes, the response is quite different.  So fitting the bike to your body as mentioned earlier with the comfort comments and matching it to the type of riding you want to do, you'll find what works best.

Good luck.

82752[/snapback]

Well I'm 6'2" 225# So I'm not a little guy and the V11 is perfect for around 100 miles then my legs start to go numb. I just wish I would have gotten the V11 right away instead of fooling around with a Suzuki lightweight cruiser. It looked like a mini bike with me on it and was the bike most harley riders bought for their wives. :( With the condition of the roads and abundace of dealers I'm thinking either a BMW 1200GS or a Harley Street bob. I know I'd like something sportier but there just isn't any good place to ride them in MN without first riding 2-5 hours on a bike that shouldn't be ridden for more than 30 min. I think I'll be ok with a b road bike. My goose is a decent enough A road bike I can easily keep up with any jap bike just not on the freeway :huh2:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seein' how I have a 900ss and a LeMans I gotta chime in.

I love the Duc and as far as I can tell it's bullet proof.

I do my own valves...kind of a rubicks cube but word is after

15 or 20K mi it's no longer an issue (20K on mine.)

Lotsa 900s getting 70 80K on them on the forums.

I wouldn't go less than the 900 and I'd be looking at

MultiStradas...if your looking @ Gosses too.

Everything you hear about "the Sausage Creature" is why I have the LeMans.

Waiting on a throttle cable I was "forced" to take the Duc last w/e....

On the way out I was thinking....Hey...I oughtaa ride this thing more.

On the way home I was thinking "I gotta get that throttle cable on the Guzzi.

The Duc is just too Grrrrrrrrrrr! for anyone over 20something.

It's a wonderful wonderful machine but when you decide "Ok ..thats enough

of THAT!" It has no idea what your talking about.

Between Johnny Law and Issac Newton there ain't much room for a Duc

on civilian roads. God bless the little Sausage Creatures heart... :drink:

Guest AdamofKC

When it comes to experience with each bike, I have ridden a Monster 620 Dark, Multistrada 620 and 1000. The Guzzi on the other hand, I had only sat on and that was months ago. I did get the crank the throttle on a newer V11 Le Mans, and it felt, let's just say, "unique" in the way the bike kinda "stood up" when I revved the engine. It was definitely something different from what I had previously experienced with V-twins.

I do not doubt for one second that I could not handle the big Guzzi out on the road(I know that no one mentioned that), and since the Guzzi's engine is supposed to be pretty linear in its powerband, I'm sure I'll adapt to it pretty well.

About the Guzzi's gas mileage though, about what is it? I've heard reports of the V11's getting about 32 to 38 mpg, which in my book, doesn't seem very acceptable for a motorcycle, especially for one that is (I guess) pretty understressed. Is the gas milage for the 1100i's pretty good or is it more of a gas hog?

Also, since I would like to try and do my own maintenance, is there a guide, like from Clymers, that is made for the 1100i? I can do some of the basic stuff like changing the oil and filter and chain tightening(not needed on a Guzzi), but I have yet to do a brake job(though it looks easy enough) or spark plug change(same).

Also, does the 1100i have a habit of eating clutches or doing something to itself that would require expensive maintenance?

Thanks again guys!

Oh and also, my size fit the Monster pretty well, palm pain did set in after the 30 minute demo ride was over.

Terris_Duc3.jpgwe just got my wife a 2002 M750...its pretty sweet...

82823[/snapback]

jeeeezz.......You guys lookin' to adopt?

Mom....dad.....can I borrow the.....

Congrats to the Missus....

Your going to like the way it's put togeather.

Over grown dirt bike.

I'm gonna disagree with Ralph :o  I found the sport 1100 to more comfortable than the V11.  See if you can wrangle a test ride & not just around the block. YMMV.

I used to have a  95 Speed Triple & they're a good looking bike with a anvil for a motor but, they handle like one of  my 18 wheelers :vomit:

82767[/snapback]

I agree with you on the Triumph TX. Horrible handling things!

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest bshpilot
jeeeezz.......You guys lookin' to adopt?

Mom....dad.....can I borrow the.....

Congrats to the Missus....

Your going to like the way it's put togeather.

Over grown dirt bike.

82827[/snapback]

thanks, we just picked up this sweetheart...02, 4000mi w/ Staintunes (i dont

care for 'em but...) a corbin seat and ALL the original parts...not to mention

the soft bags & battery tender...

I got the ride height adjuster on it this evening (which allowed it to be

lowered about an inch)...she rode it around for the 1st time & then i

gave it a little break in burn out ;) <after asking permission, of course :D

as for adopting...HELL no....were clock watchin' as it is w/ our three

kids (12, 13, 14....girl,boy,boy)....only 6yrs to go before the wife and *I*

get to become THEIR worst nightmare ;)

heres one w/ 'er feet up....

post-1149-1142853160_thumb.jpg

Well I'm 6'2" 225# So I'm not a little guy and the V11 is perfect for around 100 miles then my legs start to go numb. I just wish I would have gotten the V11 right away instead of fooling around with a Suzuki lightweight cruiser. It looked like a mini bike with me on it and was the bike most harley riders bought for their wives.  :(  With the condition of the roads and abundace of dealers I'm thinking either a BMW 1200GS or a Harley Street bob. I know I'd like something sportier but there just isn't any good place to ride them in MN without first riding 2-5 hours on a bike that shouldn't be ridden for more than 30 min. I think I'll be ok with a b road bike. My goose is a decent enough A road bike I can easily keep up with any jap bike just not on the freeway  :huh2:

82775[/snapback]

Keep the Guzzi, and put the evoluzione footpeg relo kit, I have it on mine and love it, as far as the street Bob, A buddy of mine got one , we traded bikes for a couple hour ride, and let me tell ya Ben, That bob is a kool bike! its got the nice soft pull clutch, the dyna chassis handles real well, the six speed tranny shifts really sweet, and the ergonomics are real comfy. I have ridden almost every model harley makes except for a v rod, and the s bob is the best. my bud got the "black denim" had the wheels and the console on the tank powder coated red, it looks like a real old school sled. Beautiful!