Duck, Duck or Goose!

Guest AdamofKC

What do you think should be my next bike?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should be my next bike?

• Ducati Monster 620/750/800/900/1000
    • Ducati Supersport 620/750/800/900/1000
    • Moto Guzzi Sport 1100i
    • Whatever your Italian loving heart desires!

... and your point?   :huh2:

82813[/snapback]

...is that, as a motorcyclist and enthusiast I don't want to be identified with any such drivel by any non-motorcyclist who might read it: it is self-aggrandising, ignorant and very silly. It is also quite clear that the writer has far more ego than experience. And I would prefer not to see such rubbish on here.....Sorry: I thought my point was fairly obvious.

Well, you asked!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...is that, as a motorcyclist and enthusiast I don't want to be identified with any such drivel by any non-motorcyclist who might read it: it is self-aggrandising, ignorant and very silly. It is also quite clear that the writer has far more ego than experience. And I would prefer not to see such rubbish on here.....Sorry: I thought my point was fairly obvious.

Well, you asked!

82871[/snapback]

Yes I did ask, and of course your point was obvious - as was my retort.

FWIW:

Gonzo journalism is characterized by the use of quotes, sarcasm, humor, exaggeration, and profanity. Dr. Thompson bases his style on William Faulkner's idea that "the fiction is often the best fact". While the things that Dr. Thompson writes about are basically true, he uses satirical devices to drive his points home.

http://www.gonzo.org/hst/hst.asp?ID=0

Thompson is a larger than life figure in USA - though many here share your opinion of his writing.

However - for a notable number of Americans Thompson's writing strikes a chord. His "subjective" style I find refreshing in an era when the myth of objectivity permeates some of the most subjective reporting I've ever witnessed - only now it's called "news."

I think too he resonates with American bikers because of his book "Hells Angels." The Hells Angels are another uniquely American biker phenomenon that I don't think had a counterpart in Europe. The whole biker gang thing is probably a big part of the difference in American vs. European biker viewpoints.

I think he resonates politically as well - but I'll stop here since politics aren't part of the local format.

:2c:

Thanks for your reasoned response, Pierre. Please don't think I'm anti-American: I'm not, and I'm actually an admirer of American Literature, including Faulkner. I just don't admire Hunter S Thompson, whose style I actually find derivative and old-fashioned, as well!

There is a sort of biker gang culture in Europe, too, but it is different to the US one, you're right. I actually like the French biker culture, which isn't Harley-dominated [i could agree with Thompson on that, at any rate!] but isn't so sport and youth-orientated as in the UK.

Regards.

Guest AdamofKC

I've recently done some an insurance quote for the 97 Sport 1100i and one brand, McGraw Insurance, was going to charge me like $1165 a year, full coverage, for the bike. That is almost as much as my Saab! Are there any riders here, in the states, that use someone different and provide a reasonable price?

I will not and refuse to use Progressive and Geico, because the former will charge me about $2500 for a Monster 620 and the latter with charge me about $1100 for the same Duc! Farmers was going to charge me a pretty decent price for another bike I was looking into, but I haven't asked about the Duc or the Guzzi yet.

Is there an insurance agency you guys/gals would recommend?

Thanks for your reasoned response, Pierre. Please don't think I'm anti-American: I'm not, and I'm actually an admirer of American Literature, including Faulkner. I just don't admire Hunter S Thompson, whose style I actually find derivative and old-fashioned, as well!

There is a sort of biker gang culture in Europe, too, but it is different to the US one, you're right. I actually like the French biker culture, which isn't Harley-dominated [i could agree with Thompson on that, at any rate!] but isn't so sport and youth-orientated as in the UK.

Regards.

82876[/snapback]

For the record, I think Hunter S. Thompson had one too many acid trips before this, one of his last, was written. Last fall, I would imagine there was one last thing he hadn't tried yet, and that was seeing what it felt like to fire a 12 guage pump into his mouth. We won't get a chance to hear what he thought about it.

Ciao, Steve G.

For the record, I think Hunter S. Thompson had one too many acid trips before this, one of his last, was written. Last fall, I would imagine there was one last thing he hadn't tried yet, and that was seeing what it felt like to fire a 12 guage pump into his mouth. We won't get a chance to hear what he thought about it.

Ciao, Steve G.

82953[/snapback]

There you go! Derivative to the last [this time, of Hemingway].

I've recently done some an insurance quote for the 97 Sport 1100i and one brand, McGraw Insurance, was going to charge me like $1165 a year, full coverage, for the bike.  That is almost as much as my Saab!  Are there any riders here, in the states, that use someone different and provide a reasonable price?

I will not and refuse to use Progressive and Geico, because the former will charge me about $2500 for a Monster 620 and the latter with charge me about $1100 for the same Duc!  Farmers was going to charge me a pretty decent price for another bike I was looking into, but I haven't asked about the Duc or the Guzzi yet.

Is there an insurance agency you guys/gals would recommend?

82952[/snapback]

I use Farmers but American Family is just as well. They charge me something like $150ish a Year! $14.00 a month for full coverage. I've heard of some smaller names that you can pay $50 a year for full coverage. look around :huh2: Geico and Progressive wanted to charge me $550-

$1,000. I will never go back to progressive I was so stupid.

I use Farmers but American Family is just as well. They charge me something like $150ish a Year! $14.00 a month for full coverage. I've heard of some smaller names that you can pay $50 a year for full coverage.  look around :huh2: Geico and Progressive wanted to charge me $550-

$1,000. I will never go back to progressive I was so stupid.

83051[/snapback]

Could you explain the coverage that you get for $150 a year? Does that include comprehensive, collision, fire and theft?

Here in British Columbia we can maybe get 12 monthes of liability for $750 but then all the extras will cost another $1800 and that is with a 43% discount for no accidents.

I pay $338 a year for liability & comprehensive. I think a lot depends on where you live. DeBen for example lives in an igloo in Minnesoooda where he can only ride 3 weeks a year! :P So the insurance is less lol. If you live in a highly populated area you're likely to pay a lot more for insurance of every kind. Allstate has me covered to ride all year with no breaks for that price too btw. If I shopped around I could probably get it even cheaper but its easier just to have one insurance agent for car,bike,& home.

Guest bshpilot

my wife just got quoted 175 for FULL coverage (for 12mo)

on 'er 2002 monster 750, w/ a 250 buck deductible <full

coverage> for a 1st time rider from progressive.

i pay 350 a year for 4 bikes <1000 buck deductible>

full coverage w/ progressive...but i have something LESS

than a spotless driving record <speeding, and cigars are my

vice you could say>

one "trick" to play w/ insurance, assuming youre employed

and have medical insurance thru your job is to drop the PI

(personal injury)...you health insurance <from your employee

plan> should cover you fine...and its an expensive part

of motorcycle full coverage insurance...progressive allows

you to deline PI coverage.

Guest AdamofKC

Here are couple reasons why I think my rates are so high.

1. I don't live in a pristine neighborhood, but safer than where I was last.

2. I'm 21, but engaged(that should mean something to those people).

3. The bikes I want to get are on the "high theft list" despite never hearing about Ducati's or Moto Guzzi's being ripped off, especially the 620's.

4. The engine sizes are high and respite the cooling type and number of cylinders, they almost quote me the same as if I were on a Gixxer-K.

Why I think it should be lower.

1. I completed my MSF course.

2. I have had no accidents or points on my licence in the past 3 years(lots of brands look only that far).

3. The newer Ducati's has an intigrated security system.

4. I'm part of the AMA.

5. The bikes I want to get are air cooled V-twins!

I use Farmers for my current bike, but I'm not sure if they are going to insure me at a decent price. Progressive just wants to ream me on insurance, same for Geico. I tried McGraw and some others with similar success. McGraw so far, and to a certain extent, Farmers, have been my most promising choices.

Guest bshpilot
Here are couple reasons why I think my rates are so high.

1.  I don't live in a pristine neighborhood, but safer than where I was last.

2.  I'm 21, but engaged(that should mean something to those people).

3.  The bikes I want to get are on the "high theft list" despite never hearing about Ducati's or Moto Guzzi's being ripped off, especially the 620's.

4.  The engine sizes are high and respite the cooling type and number of cylinders, they almost quote me the same as if I were on a Gixxer-K.

Why I think it should be lower.

1.  I completed my MSF course.

2.  I have had no accidents or points on my licence in the past 3 years(lots of brands look only that far).

3.  The newer Ducati's has an intigrated security system.

4.  I'm part of the AMA.

5.  The bikes I want to get are air cooled V-twins!

I use Farmers for my current bike, but I'm not sure if they are going to insure me at a decent price.  Progressive just wants to ream me on insurance, same for Geico.  I tried McGraw and some others with similar success.  McGraw so far, and to a certain extent, Farmers, have been my most promising choices.

83140[/snapback]

let me hold back some....farmers SUCKS...they were nailing me DOUBLE

what progressive wanted.

Geico is impossible unless youve got a pristine driving record.

now for the rest....

they dont care if youre getting married...if you ARE married it could make

a slight diff. but the fact that youre <young> gives them all the excuse

they need to REAM YOU.

ive found it ALWAYS cheaper to insure naked bikes <its part of why i

bought one when i started> make SURE theyre not quoting you numbers

based on fully fair'd/plastic/boy-racer models...you may have to HAMMER

on them to make them understand theres a DIFF. between naked & SPORT

bikes.

no one cares how the bike is cooled, the ama doesnt mean squat to

insurance companies <unless youre being insured thru the ama..and then

imo theyre still a worthless money wasting organization>

i think youll discover the bikes are more likely to be CRASHED before

they are stolen...and what goods and alarm if a couple of guys

can pick something up and carry it away (whens the last time you paid

attn. to a car alarm going off in the grocery store parking lot or in the

middle of the night ?)

progressive WILL give you a 10% discount for MSF course completiton.

Guest AdamofKC

Huh some of the points really suck... It seems like motorcycle insurance is just mased on statistics and not true motorcycle knowledge.

Now, obviously, a Moto Guzzi is going to be cheaper than a Ducati on insurance, but by like how much? Is it significant or just barely noticable?