new bike vstrom vs tiger

wheelsucker

Guest Nogbad

Triumph is bigger and more profitable than MG, and we Brits do management and bureaucracy a bit more efficiently than Italians, so I would expect the Triumph to be better supported. Try their site at Triumph USA

(Hey, I supported the US bike industry, so I feel justified in encouraging you guys to support ours! :thumbsup: )

wondering if anyone has experience with the triumph tiger?  How'd you like it, are parts as hard to come by as with MG?  How's reliability?  I pretty much know what to expect with the VStrom 1000.

83722[/snapback]

Just so long as you realize that neither the Overgrown Tabby nor the Gaseous Effulgence are suited to trail use; they're really just intended for graded dirt roads & the occasional washed out section. They sure do make for comfy sport-tourers tho'.

Go w/ the V-strom; I have yet to find someone who's unhappy with their's. The Triumph is a fine bike, but I can't recall if it is the current or previous iteration that develops hydraulic lock :o if you drop it on its left side...

:mg:

I used to have a Triumph Sprint ST 955 and a mate had a Triumph Tiger 955.

Both bikes were generally reliable and spares were easily available (on a par with the local Jap bike spares parts backup) although somewhat more expensive.

The cosmetic finish on both bikes was also fairly good (when new) but we both experienced some issues with early rusting of small parts.

The Tiger was a very nice bike to ride and was quite quick on the tarmac in the right pair of hands although the dirt road ability was quite a bit short of say a BMW R1100GS. The motor characteristics aren't terribly well suited to off roading although it's fine for travelling along well made dirt roads.

One of the panniers is oddly shaped inside and has substantially less space than the other one due to the exhaust system which makes the panniers less useful than they might be.

Having said all of that... they _are_ fun :)

I've ridden a Tiger, and can't help but think it possible a V-Strom could be worse for offroad. The Tiger is very top heavy, in Hinckley Triumph tradition. That said, I like the Triumph more than the V-Strom. Personally I think it's a nicer looking machine, is very good on the street, a real canyon carver. The Triumph engines are tough, even the series 3 triples. If these were my only 2 choices, I'd go for the Triumph. Buying new, I would have second thoughts. Resale value of Hinckley Triumphs around here crash and burn, so good used ones are a great deal.

Ciao, Steve G.

Riden the tiger 955i nice on the road quick for what it is but very top heavy particularly at slow speed which is what you really need in a big trail bike. Finish okay parts expensive but weel equiped dealer network.

Triumph is bigger and more profitable than MG, and we Brits do management and bureaucracy a bit more efficiently than Italians, so I would expect the Triumph to be better supported. Try their site at Triumph USA

(Hey, I supported the US bike industry, so I feel justified in encouraging you guys to support ours!  :thumbsup: )

83735[/snapback]

I wish I was a Brits. riding a British bike, in Britain, with British people, supporting British football teams, eating British food, speaking British language, enjoying British policy, respecting British law, flirting with British maiden, breathing British air etc.

But…….I am Italian, riding Italian bike, etc

I wish I was a Brits. riding a British bike, in Britain, with British people, supporting British football teams, eating British food, speaking British language, enjoying British policy, respecting British law, flirting with British maiden, breathing British air etc.

84313[/snapback]

Life must be hard for you.... :P

84313[/snapback]

Things I miss about Britain:

British bike mates

Draft bitter.

Er...., that's it.

Having said that, I would have the Triumph over anything Japanese, anyday. I owned and toured on a Hinckley 900 Triumph for ten years, during which time it never gave me a moment's bother.......it was just that when I wanted to grin a lot while riding, I got on my Guzzi or something older, equally cantankerous and equally characterful.

wondering if anyone has experience with the triumph tiger?  How'd you like it, are parts as hard to come by as with MG?  How's reliability?  I pretty much know what to expect with the VStrom 1000.

83722[/snapback]

Short answer: Yep. Fine. Nope. Good.

Long answer: Depends on what you're intending to do with it. I'm currently riding an 1150 GSA. If you want a true adventure tourer, BMW is the bike (IMO). The Tiger is a very capable dual sport bike at a savings of several hundred $ vs. the BMW. I had no problems with the Tiger but went to the GSA as it fit me better (taller) and was more dirt worthy (I spend a fair bit of time on high desert forest service roads). Reliability, parts availability, service costs etc. etc. on the Triumph would be very similar to BMW- e.g. somewhat better than MG (although my LD has had no problems getting Guzzi parts for me). Tiger changes for '06 look to make it more freeway friendly.

My 'Strom was also a DL1000 like you're considering. I used it for a commuter bike and it was a great little jack-of-all-trades machine. Fun to ride, nimble and snappy little motor. Bullet proof bike really- ride it and ignore it. Perfect for a jaunt down to the corner market for a gallon of milk (get the side & top cases) Not really in the same league for off road/dual sport riding as the beemer or Tiger though (again IMO). It's also lighter than the BMW so it gets blown around at freeway speed a bit more. The DL is also less expensive yet than the other bikes. Parts are cheap and there's a Suzuki (and Honda and Yamaha) dealer pretty much on every street corner...

Now to the most subjective part: The reason I sold the 'Strom, as funny as it sounds, is that it just didn't do anything for me. It had no personality, no "soul" if you will. (You have to be a Guzzi rider to know what I'm talking about). When I see a Guzzi, any Guzzi, it whispers to me and I go weak in the knees. :mg: So even though the Suzuki was mechanically perfect, I didn't keep it more than about a year.

Perhaps more than you wanted to know but my :2c: !

The reason I sold the 'Strom, as funny as it sounds, is that it just didn't do anything for me.  It had no personality, no "soul" if you will.  (You have to be a Guzzi rider to know what I'm talking about).  When I see a Guzzi, any Guzzi, it whispers to me and I go weak in the knees.  :mg:  So even though the Suzuki was mechanically perfect, I didn't keep it more than about a year.

84366[/snapback]

Exactly!

...... I would have the Triumph over anything Japanese, anyday. I owned and toured on a Hinckley 900 Triumph for ten years, during which time it never gave me a moment's bother.......it was just that when I wanted to grin a lot while riding, I got on my Guzzi or something older, equally cantankerous and equally characterful.

84318[/snapback]

Still enjoying my Guzzi also, but recently sold its Japanese garage mate (Kawasaki Z1000) and am in the process of buying a new Speed Triple 1050. My first motorcycle was an old Bonneville, and the Triumph marque has always lifted my emotions since. I'd certainly vote Triumph over Suzuki, as I believe it to be more of a keeper.

Still enjoying my Guzzi also, but recently sold its Japanese garage mate (Kawasaki Z1000) and am in the process of buying a new Speed Triple 1050.  My first motorcycle was an old Bonneville, and the Triumph marque has always lifted my emotions since.  I'd certainly vote Triumph over Suzuki, as I believe it to be more of a keeper.

84433[/snapback]

I wish the new ST wasn't beaten with the ugly stick. I'd like them to redesign the daytona otherwise I like the Centennial edition. The speed 1050 is nice BUT just sitting on it the thing feels like a rail and very similar to a buell I must say. I would like to ride one but they didn't have any for a demo when I was there. :huh2: I have a long list of bikes I need to ride cross off and narrow down for a second. But I have this gut wrenching hunger for a second. I'd even snatch up a RSV if I hit a sweet price. I'd even grap a victory if it was way less than they want right now. :angry: Those prices are for harleys and ducks not knock offs.