Screen for V11 Sport

Gregg

Hi,

I am a "new" owner of a V11 Sport and have a fairly basic question to ask of the forum, please excuse if it has been asked before !

My V11 is a naked bike - no fairing, and I was hoping to reduce the amount of buffeting I was getting while touring with the lads.

I have had a good look at the MG fairings on Tenni's, Mandellos & other models of V11. They do not look as if they would do a lot to reduce the buffeting.

I was also checking the Magni site and drooling over the little bikini fairing they can supply, especially as their website shows a green metallic bike same as mine.

I live down in Sydney, Australia and have a great deal of difficulty getting any replies from Magni even after a late night phone call.

I would appreciate any comments if anyone have any opinions on which way to go ?

I am around 6' (180cms) tall and fairly solid in build - (unfortunately similar to a Santa in stature) most of my miles are freeway-motorway until I can get up into the hills for a blast.

I love my V11 after returning to bikes after 20 years - previously I owned a Ducati 900 Super Sport 1978 model way back when and I reckon the MG has more character !

Hi,

I am a "new" owner of a V11 Sport and have a fairly basic question to ask of the forum, please excuse if it has been asked before !

My V11 is a naked bike - no fairing, and I was hoping to reduce the amount of buffeting I was getting while touring with the lads.

I have had a good look at the MG fairings on Tenni's, Mandellos & other models of V11. They do not look as if they would do a lot to reduce the buffeting.

I was also checking the Magni site and drooling over the little bikini fairing they can supply, especially as their website shows a green metallic bike same as mine.

I live down in Sydney, Australia and have a great deal of difficulty getting any replies from Magni even after a late night phone call.

I would appreciate any comments if anyone have any opinions on which way to go ?

I am around 6' (180cms) tall and fairly solid in build - (unfortunately similar to a Santa in stature) most of my miles are freeway-motorway until I can get up into the hills for a blast.

I love my V11 after returning to bikes after 20 years - previously I owned a Ducati 900 Super Sport 1978 model way back when and I reckon the MG has more character !

84137[/snapback]

The small windscreen does work! I've ridden my Rosso Mandello back to back with the Lemans & the small windscreen is almost just as good. Dont bother with Magni, they dont make them anymore. RossoPuro has a good looking one in their catalog they sent me. RossoPuro's website is in the upper left corner of this page if you're interested.

The small windscreen does work! I've ridden my Rosso Mandello back to back with the Lemans & the small windscreen is almost just as good. Dont bother with Magni, they dont make them anymore. RossoPuro has a good looking one in their catalog they sent me. RossoPuro's website is in the upper left corner of this page if you're interested.

84139[/snapback]

Thanks Richard,

I will follow up with MG locally and see if I can get hold of one, interesting that something that small does the job so well !

Gregg

similar to a Santa in stature

84137[/snapback]

Do we get a present if we get this quiz right? Oh, wrong forum. Nevermind.

I've heard the small fairings work pretty well- I haven't tried them, but if the angle is correct, they should cause a good pocket of still air for you. I doubt, at 6', whether it would protect your head though. I use an R90S fairing with some success, but still get some buffeting around my head at 80+mph. At slower speeds, it works well.

In addition to the overpriced MG fairings, take a look at some other options like Givi or Airstreaming (some vintage stuff looks good).

Just do a general search for 'flyscreen' and it should put you in the correct size range.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/prodvintage.html

or

http://www.omarsdtr.com/fairings.html

for example

Guest geno929

I have the V11 Sport with the small windscreen. It's pretty smooth at lower speeds, some buffiting at normal Hwy. speeds, then she really smooths out around 90 mph. Very smooth at 100 mph. Love it!

I have the V11 Sport with the small windscreen. It's pretty smooth at lower speeds, some buffiting at normal Hwy. speeds, then she really smooths out around 90 mph. Very smooth at 100 mph. Love it!

84173[/snapback]

Indeed. I had a Beemer r1150r with the equally small roadster screen, and that produced so much turbulence and buffeting that it nearly tore my head off above 90mph. Awful aerodynamics on that bike. Rider was too far away from the windscreen, I guess.

The small MG screen is amazingly effective, it takes the pressure off your chest while your helmet is in clean air. BUT: I imagine that if you switch to bars instead of clipons, you will move further back from the windscreen and then you will hit the turbulence that the screen produces...

If you're not in a hurry, I will have a Guzzi carbon-fiber fairing available as soon as I get from Guzzi a Coppa Italia fairing that's been on order for two months.

84231[/snapback]

How much does that go for? Might not be bad to replace my Buell CF with an actual Guzzi one. :huh2:

The Guzzi one or the cf one? I can tell you prices when I go back to work on Friday, if you still wanna know.

The cf fairing looks great. I'd stay with it, except that one day a truck pulled up to MI with a Coppa Italia inside a damaged crate. There were really slight scratches on the tank and fairing, so Moto Guzzi is sending a replacement tank and fairing. If they don't ask for the damaged ones back, and they seldom do, I get them to put on my Billy Bob. Billy's gonna be a faux Coppa (but with its fairing mounted to swing with the bars, as on a Scura). I've even got a warranty-takeoff Ohlins shock from a Scura that I'll get repaired and install later. And I'm working on a set of Ohlins forks from another damaged bike . . .

Is the Ohlins steering damper worth paying for?

Even a small flyscreen can be very effective provided it is set up right.

There are many variables, as each combination of rider, posture and bike is different,

There are a couple of wrinkles that get you nearer the sweet spot though.

Start off with the tip of the blade 12"-14" ahead of your helmet when sat normally, and the tip of the blade 1-2" below eye level. That should get you somewhere near the 'sweet spot.'

Be prepared for a fair bit of trial and error before you find it though.

Quite often you may have to fabricate different mounts to acheive this.

If you get it right though it will be worth it.

Nige. B)