Billy Bob Progress

Greg Field

Crashed Billy Bob is nearly whole again.

Last week I finished putting on new forks and mounting the instrument and a carbon-fiber fairing mounted like on a Scura.

Today, I took off the carbon canister, added a Teo Lamers centerstand, and a used FBF crossover. The stand was a return from a customer. He swore there was absolutely no way it would fit. Plus, another customer is returning a stand after claiming there was no way to mount it. The latter customer even took it to a Guzzi shop in Oregon, and they couldn't figure out how to put it on, either.

So, I had to see for myself: Do they fit, or not?

Two hours later, I had my answer. Fits just fine. I think the lack of instructions is what stymied these folks. I'll write a set to send with any more of these I sell.

Then, I had to see if I could make it work with the X-type FBF crossover. It was already used and a little beat up, so I just used a ball-pean hammer to make strategic dents that allow it to clear the centerstand. Then, I bolted up a dented set of Mistral titanium cans I can score for cheap, if I like them.

Scura Bob's looking purty good. I hope it turns out to be even half the bike my Eldo is.

I think we should all pitch in and buy you a digital camera Greg :grin:

Mike

Oh, forgot one thing. I also installed the Motobits foot controls. Nice stuff, and very easy to install because the instructions are excellent.

84304[/snapback]

I have the camera. What I lack is the mental horsepower to use it effectively with the web.

I'd love to post a pic of the speedo mileage. When it crashed it was on 6666.5 and a half (the last six was just starting to show). When I repaired the speedo and tach a few weeks ago (they were crunched in the accident, so I tore apart a few warranty takeoff speedos to get their housings and glass and bezels) I fitted a speedo cable and wound it up with my drill to get 6666.6 exactly.

With any luck, I'll probably get 'im fired up today. We'll see how he runs without a PC III. That'll have to be next, I suppose. I'm already slightly over my budget of $3,000 ($1,600 for the bike, plus $1,500 in parts), so I hope it isn't necessary.

Crashed Billy Bob is nearly whole again.

Last week I finished putting on new forks and mounting the instrument and a carbon-fiber fairing mounted like on a Scura.

Today, I took off the carbon canister, added a Teo Lamers centerstand, and a used FBF crossover. The stand was a return from a customer. He swore there was absolutely no way it would fit. Plus, another customer is returning a stand after claiming there was no way to mount it. The latter customer even took it to a Guzzi shop in Oregon, and they couldn't figure out how to put it on, either.

So, I had to see for myself: Do they fit, or not?

Two hours later, I had my answer. Fits just fine. I think the lack of instructions is what stymied these folks. I'll write a set to send with any more of these I sell.

Then, I had to see if I could make it work with the X-type FBF crossover. It was already used and a little beat up, so I just used a ball-pean hammer to make strategic dents that allow it to clear the centerstand. Then, I bolted up a dented set of Mistral titanium cans I can score for cheap, if I like them.

Scura Bob's looking purty good. I hope it turns out to be even half the bike my Eldo is.

84300[/snapback]

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to fit the one I bought from Moto International. Then a forum member here gave me his and I found out the Moto International didn't even send me a complete unit! :bbblll: That blows a $265+ hole in your wallet real quick, especially since I had cancelled it several months before it arrived and suddenly it showed up one day and nicely charged to my credit card. They're real nice guys up there at MI, but methinks they're crowded to the point of distraction in that small shop...

I didn't get that one to fit either but after taking it back off discovered that the spacers are different widths and perhaps it would have worked if I had swapped them. I elected to leave it off at that point and may get around to it later (it would make more space in the shed if it were vertical when parked). Meanwhile, I have a box with 1.95 TLM centerstands.

I think we should all pitch in and buy you a digital camera Greg :grin:

Mike

84312[/snapback]

>Mike...would you fill out the G&B Supertwin registry I've started at G&B Yahoo groups database. No real personal info.

Supertwin1

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to fit the one I bought from Moto International.

84339[/snapback]

Carl:

I'm sorry you were treated unfairly in the past by certain parts people at MI. Dave's policy at the shop is to always bend over to make sure customers are treated fairly. Some, in the past, didn't always follow this code.

If the thing is missing parts, you should return it. Or, given that you canceled the order, you should return it if you don't want it. Or, if you tell me what is missing, I will do my best to get the missing parts from Teo. If Teo doesn't have them, maybe I can make what you need. We'll try to make it right in any case.

When you do eventually write up the instructions it would be really nice if you posted them on this forum. I'll bet there are several stands sitting in garages belonging to people who got frustrated and gave up.

Carl:

I'm sorry you were treated unfairly in the past by certain parts people at MI. Dave's policy at the shop is to always bend over to make sure customers are treated fairly. Some, in the past, didn't always follow this code.

If the thing is missing parts, you should return it. Or, given that you canceled the order, you should return it if you don't want it. Or, if you tell me what is missing, I will do my best to get the missing parts from Teo. If Teo doesn't have them, maybe I can make what you need. We'll try to make it right in any case.

84350[/snapback]

I'm missing the two little metal links that have two holes in each of them. Had TLM bothered with instructions or a parts list to begin with, I would've known they were missing. They could have been missing from the git go and MI wouldn't have known either without a parts list/instructions. It was nearly a year before I got around to trying to install the stand (rebuilding wrecked V11 Sports sucks) and by that time, I would assume the time limit for returns would have expired. I wanted a center stand, it just hasn't worked out as planned.

FWIW, MI has done very well on everything I've ever ordered (except for those two missing bits). The TLM cenerstand for the Sport 1100i worked perfectly - even without instructions.

Did you get the stand to fit with a stock crossover?

It fits fine with the stock crossover.

Even though time has gone by, you can return it if you don't want it. Or, if you will keep it, I will ask Teo about the metal bits. What stand do you have? The one for the pre-LeMans, or for LeMans and later? If he can't supply them, I'll make you a set, using mine for a pattern.

Just got the lights hooked up and working. Should fire up in an hour or so . . . yeeee Haaaaawww!!

It fits fine with the stock crossover.

Even though time has gone by, you can return it if you don't want it. Or, if you will keep it, I will ask Teo about the metal bits. What stand do you have? The one for the pre-LeMans, or for LeMans and later? If he can't supply them, I'll make you a set, using mine for a pattern.

Just got the lights hooked up and working. Should fire up in an hour or so . . . yeeee Haaaaawww!!

84372[/snapback]

I'm pretty certain it's for the V11 Sport, but just in case, how do you tell them apart?

I'd go down to the shed to look but we just battened up the house for severe weather and maybe tornadoes. Gotta have something exciting to do when you're not riding... Since the parts are in a box, I can get them out (later) and take some measurements and scan them into the computer and send that to you. No need for you to disassemble yours to use for patterns. But... I'm really going to need your instructions on how to install this thing properly. I'm guessing that all I really need to know is which spacer offsets to which side to clear the crossover. Since I've got to pull the rear wheel to change the tire in the next week or two, I can try re-installing the stand at that time. I'm going to have to paint it though, my frame is powder coated silver.

You do know that Billy Bob will put that 141mph Eldo to shame don't you?

Do you have the part number, from the part or from the reciept? That way I can tell which one you got. If you have the wrong one, it won't fit. Yours is an '01 Sport, right?

Honestly, no other bike is better than my Eldo. Some may be equal. Some. If Billy is, I'll be very happy. And it's 141 POINT 7. Every tenth counts when you're talking Eldos . . .

Do you have the part number, from the part or from the reciept? That way I can tell which one you got. If you have the wrong one, it won't fit. Yours is an '01 Sport, right?

Honestly, no other bike is better than my Eldo. Some may be equal. Some. If Billy is, I'll be very happy. And it's 141 POINT 7. Every tenth counts when you're talking Eldos . . .

84421[/snapback]

Nope. I just called MI and told them I needed one for a 2001 Sport. That was two years ago. The second stand was given to me to try and the two of them are identical (except for the missing bits of course). I actually had the the second stand entirely installed, but the stand hit the crossover and wouldn't retract all of the way. I'm going to assume (and we know where that goes...) that the reason the stand hit the crossover is because the spacers on the pivot part of the stand have different widths to offset it to one side or the other. The problem is of course, if you have those spacers in the wrong spot, you have to completely disassemble the stand assembly to swap them - I didn't want to do that by that point. After all, you're pulling the engine mount bolt back and forth through the porkchops while you're mounting the thing and it's not an awful lot of fun.

I'm going to bet that Billy Bob has better brakes than the Eldo - especially at 141.7 mph. :)

Engine Mount?

No, No, the main piece mounts to the button-head screw on the left and through the brake-lever pivot on the right. The spring goes on the left side of the bike.

Billy's brakes are very good . . .

84434[/snapback]

You're probably correct, but I'm running on a two year old memory and it isn't a particularly clear one at that. Does yours fit on the outside of the porkchops? Mine does. Ugly.