v11 vs. Centauro

Guest cduzzi

Guest cduzzi

This is Chuck in Austin, TX and my second post on this fantastic site (the best MC site I've seen, for me anyway)! I have a California but am getting the itch for a Guzzi sport bike and am torn between the newer EV11 Lemans type bikes and the Centauro. I'll keep my California for distance riding, etc.

Why a Centauro? - I'm fascinated by the OC engine and the rarity of them (only 1,918 ever produced, per COG site info). From what I've read, chip and remapping fixes cure the low RPM issues and they are Guzzi solid in curves and can be ridden in a very spirited fashion.

Why an V11? - Took me a couple of years to be attracted to the looks, but I'm near hooked on that aspect now. And though I don't know anyone who rides one, this site is obviously full of devotees who'll say you can't go wrong!

So, please guys and gals, I have Guzzi fever and some cash to lay down (once I convince the little lady who rules my life that every biker needs at least a few in the garage!) :rolleyes: I need help sorting this out in my fevered brain.

What bike might fit me best? I have a 36" sleeve length, so reach isn't much of a problem. And I'm 6'2" so will I be cramped on either one?

Help!

cduzzi

Hi Chuck,

There're a few Guys here that have direct experiance/own either all or two of the Guzzis you're seeking to compare ( Cali, V11, Centauro)

The advantage with the V11 is that it comes as standard in several forms. One of them should accommdate your Height and reach. Thinking more so the billybob/cafe sport/coppa but I don't think you'd be too cramped on the lemans.

The only issue could be the positioning of the foot pegs, some like to change them. I think this may be because they came from cruiser styles and just aren't used to the "European" position.

Neither are particularly common so it may be a case of whats available.

I'm sure a more knowledgable member will be along over the next few days to give you a more detailed answer why you should favour one over the other. Even if it's just that they want the centauro engines for their MGS1 replicas :D

Guest cduzzi
Hi Chuck,

There're a few Guys here that have direct experiance/own either all or two of the Guzzis you're seeking to compare ( Cali, V11, Centauro)

The advantage with the V11 is that it comes as standard in several forms. One of them should accommdate your Height and reach. Thinking more so the billybob/cafe sport/coppa but I don't think you'd be too cramped on the lemans.

The only issue could be the positioning of the foot pegs, some like to change them. I think this may be because they came from cruiser styles and just aren't used to the "European" position.

Neither are particularly common so it may be a case of whats available.

I'm sure a more knowledgable member will be along over the next few days to give you a more detailed answer why you should favour one over the other. Even if it's just that they want the centauro engines for their MGS1 replicas  :D

84700[/snapback]

Martin, I appreciate your thoughts. In terms of peg position, I've noticed that as often as not on my California, I'm riding with feet tucked back on the rear of the floor boards. It's more what I got used to with my first bike - BMW K 75 S. I've even road Cali with feet back on the pilion pegs, though I know that's not advisable from a safety viewpoint. chuck 'cduzzi'

Guest cduzzi
Owning one of each and liking both I would suggest that you get a spin on both before you decide as the Centauro feels smaller and lighter but at 6'2" the V11 may be more your size.

Have fun with whatever you choose.  :race:

84813[/snapback]

Good advice, I'm sure, John.

On a diffent note, it's way far cool that I'm hearing back from guys on the other side of the pond on my question. I often refer to my 'small Guzzi world' but it's become larger since finding my way to this site! :drink: I appreciate Jaap posting my request to get it started. Nothing like a thread on pros and cons on two bikes.

chuck

Guest cduzzi
got one of each, if you ever get to massachusetts you can try them out. :mg:

84699[/snapback]

Wow, what an offer! Muchos gracias!