TLM centerstand & stock crossover?

beauchemin

Does anyone have the TLM centerstand installed with the stock crossover?

I wrestled the centerstand onto my '03 Sport last night (lots of cursing and puzzled looks) BUT I had to remove the crossover for access. I ran out of time to re-install the crossover but it seems like it won't go back in place. Has anyone else done this?

I have a bad feeling that I'm going to be forced into buying an aftermarket crossover... speaking of which, why pay $350 for the Stucchi when the FBF looks the same and is only $240?

Guest ratchethack
why pay $350 for the Stucchi when the FBF looks the same and is only $240?

Chris, there are a couple of trade-offs involved. Different crossovers, though they look similar, will produce different kinds of results on a dyno. It depends on what you're looking for. The Stucchi has been known to have "fit" problems due to variances in set-up jig alignment in some cases (my own included). <_< If you do a search you'll find some discussion on this. Finally, the FBF doesn't come with a hanger, which, to my experience, puts a prohibitive amount of stress on the rest of the exhaust system - most importantly, the headers where they join the head. I have a Pal who just had to have his headers welded up from cracking, so this is not an unwarranted concern. -_-

I have a Pal who just had to have his headers welded up from cracking, so this is not an unwarranted concern. -_-

85089[/snapback]

I had to have both my QuatD and stock crossover welded.

One more weld needed and I will add an additional support for the crossover.

Greg Field recently posted his success putting on the center stand.

But his aftermarket crossover needed a little TLC from a hammer.

The stock crossover should not require the hammer.

You may find it helpful loosen the headers to get the crossover on.

There is a pre '02 and a post '02 centre stand. The difference is due to the lower stiffening which was added to the 2002 model year, bolted to the engine below both foot controls(rear brake and gearchange).

I have a 2002 V11 Scura with a standard crossover and a 2002 centre stand.

As far as I can remember, it was an easy fit once TLM sent me the right stand.

The stand is an excellent mod and once you learn how to get the bike up on it, its sooooo handy. The trick is to use the bikes own weight to lever the bike up on the stand. :2c:

Chris, where did you buy this centre stand? Can you forsee any clearance problems with agressive handling?

If it turns out the centre stand you have is for a pre-2002 model, I'll buy it off you for what you paid for it.

Ciao, Steve G.

I have the correct (post-02) centrestand. I got it on last night and it is a very tight fit with the left exit pipe on the crossover. I completely loosened the exhaust joints and now I just need to go tighten everything up.

It's hard to tell if it will drag or not - it will depend upon how compressed the suspension is during the cornering. I think it will be fine, but I will take some measurements to get a better idea.

Steve - thanks for the offer, but no need to get rid of the stand. I bought it from MI. I also bought the factory tank bag - it is awesome, just as you said it would be!