LAST (?) pawl arm spring change

dbdicker

Ok , 2nd spring went with 9K on my SCURA clock, this one lasted only 3k.

this time, put in pawl arm from the parts list of a ballabio, on the advice of Todd Haven of MPH cycles. checked for sure...15mm boss instead of the Scura 16mm. Also, as overkill, installed the Racetech guzzi spring.....whether it is 'heavy duty' or not, it looks a little more substantial.

IF that spring ever breaks again.........I'm calling it quits.........but by all accounts, it should be permanently sorted.

Dan

Number 381.

First spring went at a bit over 5K. Actually replaced the pawl arm at that time WITHOUT checking the boss size. Turned out I replaced the arm with another incorrect 16mm part.

(Lucky guy...........)

HEY! What's the chance!! You got a ST1300 as your second bike like me!

I think it's the PERFECT pair of motorcycles..........you got the above 70 degree bike and the below 70degree bike. The long distance mile crusher and the fun curve crasher.

How many people in the world you think have a V11 and an ST together? Must be a long shot!

Dan

One thing to also check when having the spring brakeage problem is the adjustment of the shift fork throw. The acorn nut adjuster on the side cover. A friend of mine broke two or three springs within a few miles of replacement. When it happened the first time, the dealer replaced the trans sidecover and spring (boss the larger size). 100 miles later, it was broken again. The dealer replaced the spring again and then within a few hundred miles, the spring broke again. This time the dealer looked farther into the problem and found that they had not adjusted the shifter throw properly. From what I have gathered, the throw was too long causing the spring to fail. No problems after the shifter throw was adjusted correctly. How they did the proper adjustment, I have no clue.

Mike

Number 381.

First spring went at a bit over 5K.  Actually replaced the pawl arm at that time WITHOUT checking the boss size.  Turned out I replaced the arm with another incorrect 16mm part.

(Lucky guy...........)

HEY!  What's the chance!!  You got a ST1300 as your second bike like me! 

I think it's the PERFECT pair of motorcycles..........you got the above 70 degree bike and the below 70degree bike.  The long distance mile crusher and the fun curve crasher.

How many people in the world you think have a V11 and an ST together?  Must be a long shot!

Dan

85910[/snapback]

Actually Dan, I'm getting rid of the Honda.  Gots to make more room for more Guzzi's. :bier:

Good: I take delivery of the Daytona RS this Friday afternoon.  Bad: Going on vacation to New Mexico Saturday for a week. :huh2:

The ST has been an absolutely great bike.  Too bad it has no soul. :mg:

Happy Trails

Ok , 2nd spring went with 9K on my SCURA clock, this one lasted only 3k.

this time, put in pawl arm from the parts list of a ballabio, on the advice of Todd Haven of MPH cycles.  checked for sure...15mm boss instead of the Scura 16mm.  Also, as overkill, installed the Racetech guzzi spring.....whether it is 'heavy duty' or not, it looks a little more substantial.

IF that spring ever breaks again.........I'm calling it quits.........but by all accounts, it should be permanently sorted.

Dan

85807[/snapback]

When doing mine I noticed that the spring was wound quite tightly and was pretty much at the limit of it's travel when down shifting. I simply reshaped the spring for far less tension on the pawl, I don't think there is much fatigue at all now. Seemed pretty clear why the springs would break when they are twisted until nearly binding on every downshift. I'll confess I have just done this over the winter and have only several hundred miles on the new spring, so no "proof" as to how long it will last.

Between that little mod, Redline heavy fluid and fine tuning the adjustment under the acorn nut, shift action is much improved.

:2c: