First impressions of my new Ballabio

Jock Guzzi

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Velofish...sorry but not done enough miles to suss out any differences the longer wheel base make

Tom M...read the breakin stuff prior to getting the bike and after taking various bits of advise I've decided to stick to the reccomended procedure... but I am making sure I'm up and down the rec range a lot and no lugging the engine

Randy...rear footpeg bracket seems secure enough but hopefully won't have to carry passengers too often

Orangeokie...I will attach a picture in another post

Mdude...I think you are right about the turbulence. I may have to change the whole set up to a handle mounted fairing which will mean a new headlight etc. I'm going to try completely flat bars to start with to see what difference that makes.

Cheers

DSCF0008.JPG

I too have a Ballabio & the buffetting from the screen is my greatest bugbear...I'm 5'11.999", never quite got to 6 feet.

Taking it off is the only real cure, but the bike then loses considerable eye appeal.

I've tried a laminar lip, both with & without the rubber edging, it makes absolutely no difference except to add ugliness.

I'm not sure bar or fork mounted options are the answer because the headlight assembly is fixed.

At the moment I've settled for a cutdown, flatter screen from an MV, which lowers the turbulent air to "upper neck level" in my case, & cuts the noise down a bit from what it was.

I've played with a few dummy screens & reckon that the fairing & screen would need to be cut down about 2" (2" down from the pointy bits) to put the buffet right down away from head level. Maybe cutting some slots in it might help, I haven't got the nerve to try this.

Nice bike otherwise, your's looks fantastic.

cheers,

Miles

Very nice! Congrats!

Only because someone asked about it, the TI pipes are upswept more than the stock cans. If I recall, there is a shorter bracket for the mounting. I was considering the Ti cans, however, I would not be able to use the HB bags any more. I suppose I have gotten spoiled having some lockable, wearher tight space.

Congratulations again!

Zoom Zoom,

John Henry

those micro indicators is just what I'm looking for the original ones dont clear the exhaust outlets.

just one more thing: could you take a picture that shows what has been done to fill the hole left in the plastic cover over the rear tyre: the remains of the original splashguard? Just curious.

Miles thanks for your feedback, reassuring I guess that it's not just my imagination.

Your right about the fixed headlight assembly but this could be removed and replaced with a headlight and speedo / rev counter bracket from a non faired V11. The screen could then be mounted closer to the rider and hopefully the problem would be solved. I'm going to speak to the guys who I bought the bike from and see what they think and if the parts can be ordered and at what cost.

In the past I would probably have got pissed off by this but having the problems and finding a solution is all part of the fun of owning a Guzzi. I'm sure I'll get there in the end.

Mdude, I'll take the picture tomorrow and post it on here. The micro indicators come from Oxford products and seem pretty good quality compared to some of the rubbish you can buy out there.

Jock

I too have a Ballabio & the buffetting from the screen is my greatest bugbear...I'm 5'11.999", never quite got to 6 feet.

Taking it off is the only real cure, but the bike then loses considerable eye appeal.

I've tried a laminar lip, both with & without the rubber edging, it makes  absolutely no difference except to add ugliness.

I'm not sure bar or fork mounted options are the answer because the headlight assembly is fixed.

At the moment I've settled for a cutdown, flatter screen from an MV, which lowers the turbulent air to "upper neck level" in my case, & cuts the noise down a bit from what it was.

I've played with a few dummy screens & reckon that the fairing & screen would need to be cut down about 2" (2" down from the pointy bits)  to put the buffet right down away from head level. Maybe cutting some slots in it might help, I haven't got the nerve to try this.

Nice bike otherwise, your's looks fantastic.

cheers,

Miles

87537[/snapback]

Scura screen is precisely the same with same issue. I was about to add that the laminar lip is NOT the way to fix it, but Miles beat me to it.......just adds ugly, as he says. If you find an aftermarket fix, let the rest of us know.........