Moto Guzzi availability in Canada

Steve G.

Just checking out Hubert Kreigel's Timeless Ride web site, with his issues currently in Costa Rica. He's noted that a test ride on a Breva is happening as I write this May 13, am. At which point I mumble to myself the current availability, or lack of, new Moto Guzzi's for sale here. I can certainly understand Canadian dealer frustration, when for over 1 1/2 yrs there have been no new models delivered, and no 2006 models of any kind. That a third world country like Costa Rica [although a better off third world country in the scheme of things] has these things ready for purchase, yet arguably the country with the best standard of living on earth has nothing, I find bizzare. There is alot of money to be spent here in the great white north on toys, why Moto Guzzi is not here with the Griso is at best a very bad business decision.

I remember the time, in the 1970's and 1980's, when this country enjoyed availability of all things exotic, where American freinds would wax poetic to me about how lucky we were to be able to buy such neat stuff. The table most defintely has changed. I look on enviously at Pete Roper's delivery of his cool Griso in Australia. I fear we may not even get a look at this model till summer 2007.

Ciao, Steve G.

The new importer in Toronto has informed Gord that the new Breva and Griso will be here in June of 2006 and they will be 2007 models. The bizarre part is that they are not offering Breva or Nevada 750's at this time nor the California. They still don't have a parts supply so parts have to be ordered from USA still.

I can not find any Canadian dealers listed on the American website.

I too am frustrated.

I'll go work on the Centauro now.

I think the new Griso's exhaust can is the ugliest that Guzzi could have come up with. There aren't any models in the current line-up that would make me part with my V11. I did pitch the idea of a Breva 750 for my wife, but I think I would be more inclined to go with a Ducati Monster(620 or 750). I would like to see Moto Guzzi come out with something more on the sporting side (and not just for Track use only!) until then my next bike will most likely be Duc over a Goose. ( I'll hang onto the V11 greeny).

Guest ramon61

I think the new Griso's exhaust can is the ugliest that Guzzi could have come up with. There aren't any models in the current line-up that would make me part with my V11. I did pitch the idea of a Breva 750 for my wife, but I think I would be more inclined to go with a Ducati Monster(620 or 750). I would like to see Moto Guzzi come out with something more on the sporting side.

89167[/snapback]

Ditto that. But I would own a Griso if I could lose the fuggly can.

Guest AdamofKC

Well, I guess all the Canadian dealer problems answered my non-posted question. But I'll post it anyway.

When MG starts importing to Canada, do you think they will bring over the Breva 850, or is it going to remain Europe esclusive? I'd be inline for the Breva 850, so hopefully it comes over soon.

I decided to check into the new importer for Moto Guzzi in Canada. They are called Canadian Scooter Corp and are based in Toronto. My first impressions are what f%@&^g genius entrusted the importation of Moto Guzzi to a scooter company? I then decided to call the number on their website for customer relations - link here. I spoke to Rachel and asked her about dealers in western Canada. She said they havn't decided who will be dealers yet but should know by the end of June. I asked her what about the 2 dealers in BC at this time? Why are they not able to get bikes or parts. She said nothing can be done until they decide who will be the dealers. Biting my lip I then asked what models will be imported. She replied that it will be the Breva and Griso 1100 only but perhaps other models will come later. She emphasised that she is only public relations and does not have all the details. I assured her that I did not expect her to know what is going on as no one else seems to know either.

So what does this mean? I really don't know but it smells ominous and not good for Moto Guzzi in Canada as we know it. Perhaps it will become a designer bike here or perhaps they have a brave new marketing plan to completely change the way Moto Guzzi has been sold here. I know that the local dealer is choked that he know's little of what is going on and more choked that they are not bringing in the Breva 750 or Nevada 750. They have both sold well here and there is still demand for V11's and California's. Then there is getting parts! Then who are the dealers? I know of a dealer in Calgary who has been promised a dealership but has yet to see a Guzzi part let alone a bike. I hope that they and others (ie the possible dealer in Victoria) are not being led down the garden path. Or is it that they are being groomed as replacements for the existing dealers. I hope they realise the extent of loyalty for the 2 dealers in BC at this time.

I really hope something good comes of this but more so I think that Moto International in Seattle will be getting a lot more Canadian business.

Valley is also promised delivery in July on one hand but then no guarantee on the other hand. Also no guarantee of when parts will be available but promised they will be coming by July. After my phone call to Toronto I get the feeling Moto Guzzi is low on their priority list.

Well, I guess all the Canadian dealer problems answered my non-posted question.  But I'll post it anyway.

When MG starts importing to Canada, do you think they will bring over the Breva 850, or is it going to remain Europe esclusive?  I'd be inline for the Breva 850, so hopefully it comes over soon.

89305[/snapback]

Not even a hint of the 850 - yet.

I decided to check into the new importer for Moto Guzzi in Canada. They are called Canadian Scooter Corp and are based in Toronto. My first impressions are what f%@&^g genius entrusted the importation of Moto Guzzi to a scooter company? I then decided to call the number on their website for customer relations - link here. I spoke to Rachel and asked her about dealers in western Canada. She said they havn't decided who will be dealers yet but should know by the end of June. I asked her what about the 2 dealers in BC at this time? Why are they not able to get bikes or parts. She said nothing can be done until they decide who will be the dealers. Biting my lip I then asked what models will be imported. She replied that it will be the Breva and Griso 1100 only but perhaps other models will come later. She emphasised that she is only public relations and does not have all the details. I assured her that I did not expect her to know what is going on as no one else seems to know either.

So what does this mean? I really don't know but it smells ominous and not good for Moto Guzzi in Canada as we know it. Perhaps it will become a designer bike here or perhaps they have a brave new marketing plan to completely change the way Moto Guzzi has been sold here. I know that the local dealer is choked that he know's little of what is going on and more choked that they are not bringing in the Breva 750 or Nevada 750. They have both sold well here and there is still demand for V11's and California's. Then there is getting parts! Then who are the dealers? I know of a dealer in Calgary who has been promised a dealership but has yet to see a Guzzi part let alone a bike. I hope that they and others (ie the possible dealer in Victoria) are not being led down the garden path. Or is it that they are being groomed as replacements for the existing dealers. I hope they realise the extent of loyalty for the 2 dealers in BC at this time.

I really hope something good comes of this but more so I think that Moto International in Seattle will be getting a lot more Canadian business.

89317[/snapback]

I can tell you that if I were, and had been a dealer in Canada, I would be very pissed off hearing the comment that they had not yet made up their mind about who the dealers would be. The current dealers should be at the very top of the list, and they should at this time be wined and dined by the importers, requesting they stay on as dealers, instead of wondering if they will be dealers at all!! Gosh I hope this mess if fixed up soon. You just can't run a company this way. There is way too much competition out there, and the money is very quick to move away to another greener pasture.

I think it was a mistake to drop the V11 line. Look how long the Monster line has been around for Ducati. The Breva will be poetically waxed about by some here on this forum, but the fact is, the majority of the bike purchasing public out there find it a strange looking machine, and it will not sell as well as a V11. The Norge is a vast improvement on the base line Breva physically. This machine would do well in Canada. The Griso?? This is a tricky one. People I've talked to have a love it or hate it attitude.

Thankfully our currency is finally out of the cellar, and stuff is on sale now when purchasing from other countries compared to 2 yrs ago. This will indeed show in parts/accessories sales at Guzzi dealers in the USA.

Ciao, Steve G.

Sat. British Italian said that the new Guzzi's wil be here July.  They are also becoming an Aprillia dealer.  they should arrive same time.

Ryan

89318[/snapback]

Talked to Gord today. It seems all Guzzi dealers are now Aprilia dealers. They just don't know for sure if they are either.

Also Gord says they can not get the Aprilia dirtbikes (ie 450V twins) which they could market very well here. Only street bikes for the new importers!!

Oh, Canadians:

Pray fervently that your new importer is completely independent of Piaggio USA. It's bad enough dealing with one layer of these people. If your dealers have to try to eke out a living by working through two layer of them, there is no hope.

As for the Griso 850, it is just a de-stroked 1100, so why would you want it (except for insurance savings)? It'll have all the weight of the 1100, but less power. If it was based on a punched-out 750 motor, it would be a different story.

Oh, Canadians:

Pray fervently that your new importer is completely independent of Piaggio USA. It's bad enough dealing with one layer of these people. If your dealers have to try to eke out a living  by working through two layer of them, there is no hope.

As for the Griso 850, it is just a de-stroked 1100, so why would you want it (except for insurance savings)? It'll have all the weight of the 1100, but less power. If it was based on a punched-out 750 motor, it would be a different story.

89548[/snapback]

You are right Greg. Why have an underpowered Griso. The only other advantage this 850 could have is less vibration.

Ciao, Steve G.