Mine!!! #116 is ALL MINE!!!

Garsdad

I bought my first Guzzi, a beatiful little Tenni with only 768 miles on her when I picked her up on Thursday evening. As of today, we are a little over 1500 and adding up quickly.

I love her, but like most Guzzis there are a couple of things I need to address. One of which is the shift spring/boss thing, which I have already received much help on and will be checking this weekend. I don't want to wait and see if it breaks, as breaking anywhere but my driveway is most inconvenient...

The other issue is she pings. A lot. On premium.

Is the timing adjustable by humans, or is it handled by the ECU on this bike? Is this a symptom of the fuel injection being out of balance? It has what I think are stock Lafranconis on it, and the only modification I am aware of from her first owner was a set of Buell footpegs (highly recommend for the long-legged- very comfortable, and don't look out-of-place).

She is a little hard starting when cold, and the previous owner said the tip-over valve was sticking and she had tank suck, but when I would stop after 80-100 miles and open the cap, there was very little air getting sucked in.

I suspect the hard start and pinging are related, but I'm not sure. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Garsdad

Guest RACRX

Congrates on ur Guzzi!!! My Rosso Mandello also has pinging under light load,, using premium fuel. I would also be interested to know what causes it and what the resolve is. Enjoy your new acquisition!!! CIAO

I suppose your valves arew set american way, better go to euro specs with that. Further, I don't know how well adjusted everything is, that could make a difference too. I had a scura, same year, that didn't ping, and it never had. Find a dealer who cares, or a good tuuningcentre that has seen FI guzzi's before.

Do a search on pinging on this forum there might be some references to it.

My advice is to turn the TPS a smidge ( not 2 smidges ) to increase the voltage- say 10-20mV.

This will have the effect of increasing fuel ( possibly to detriment of economy ) and reducing spark advance. Both of which will reduce tendency to ping.

If that doesn't mean anything to you, a quick search of this forum will give you the answers.

Congrats on the new bike! Yes your timing is handled by the ECU. Mine pings too, in the midrange under heavy load with the highest octane gas I can get around here, and I have a custom Powercommander map that was done for the previous owner by a shop that's familiar with Guzzis. Runs great other than those occasional pings. I'll be real interested to hear what others have to say about the pinging...

Pinging/ hard starting...

Relax your valves... :D:2c:

Loosen those babys up. Let 'em tick.

US Spec= what ...001/.002? (thats Ducati tolerance!..this ain't no Desmo)

World spec= .004/.006?

RaceCo= .008/.010...thats what I'm running. Starts on 2nd or 3rd tick over.

and on my last trip (700 odd miles) I was filling at unusual intervals so I tried toping

off with 89 oct. with it's usual diet of 91-93 for 2-3 fill ups. We were in the Mt. Rds of Vermont and I was whacking it open on uphill switchbacks @ 2500rpms in second gear and had narry a ping.

Guzzi proverb...."noisy valves are happy valves."

Good luck...have fun :bike::mg:

Guest RACRX

I would suspect looser valves could sacrifice some top end power. Typicaly,, for every .001 of lash added,, 3 degrees of valve timing duration is lost. As in everything,, there are always trade off's i suppose.