Don't buy new mirrors

Josh

If your mirrors won't hold there position try this cheap and easy fix.

All you need is some green loctite. Apply to ball and socket of the mirror, move the mirror around so the loctite works its way in. Adjust mirrors to desired position and let sit for 10 or 15 minutes before riding.

I've put 1000 miles on my Guzzi since doing this and they still are holding position. I've even bumped my mirrors several times while pulling my bike out of the garage, all I do is put them back in position and the hold nice and tight. New mirrors for a Sport 1100 run about $50 each you can buy a lot of loctite for a $100.

I don't think other colors of Loctite will work for this application because they are made to lock threads. Green Loctite is made to hold shafts to races of bearings.

Keep your eyes on the road, instead of looking over and adjusting your mirrors all the time.

I went down the warm the edge of the bead with a hot air gun (hairdryer would have been better - less harsh) pop the glass out to gain access to the internal nut.

My problem was that the ball part had split, which allowed the nut and washer to pull through. So in the end I had to replace the mirror.

Your Loctite solution sounds so much easier if they're just a little loose, rather than risk of cracking the glass. :thumbsup:

nice tip.

but what can Loctite do for me when the mirrors are

as in my situation:

A: two lefthand mirrors (Luigi ran out of righties that monday)

B: fugly (he also ran out of matte black paint...)