Loud pipes save lives

KiloSjon

Guest Nogbad

There is something to be said for that perfect marriage of exhaust note and mechanical activity sound. Moto Guzzi's have it, British twins have it.

Ciao, Steve G.

89662[/snapback]

So do Harleys. Sorry but I think Harleys and Buells can be tasteful, and the engine character is just as valid as a V11.

So do Harleys. Sorry but I think Harleys and Buells can be tasteful, and the engine character is just as valid as a V11.

89679[/snapback]

I will respectfully disagree with you on all hydraulic lifter actuated H.D. powered machines, who lack the characteristic "hiss" of solid lifters, and have a massive R&D department to quieten down the piston thrash. I will give a reluctant nod to bone stock H.D. powered machine with stock muffler equipement. Unfortunately these are so rare among the throng of unmuffled H.D. BLATT going around they are ignored. The fact that H.D. are building this kind of engine that has everything to do with marketing, and that Moto Guzzi at this point builds their 90 degree v-twin because they have to, unable to find the money to re-tool, is the huge difference between the two makers. Such was the case with the old English twins.

I do appologize for my issues on your comment. I have gotten so jaded by the throng of "weekend warriors" astride their "hey look at me" noise machines, I have trouble giving anything with a 45 degree v-twin anything but a head shaking giggle. I've ridden virtually every Buell made, outside of the old cast iron powered 1200rr's or whatever they were called, and every H.D.. I've given them every chance [test riding every one of their models since day 1 proves that], and I'm afraid I just don't get it. The Porsche designed V-Rod engine I have alot of respect for, but it is virtually characterless, in the same family as a Kawasaki Vulcan, or a Honda Shadow, with a bit more power.

Ciao, Steve G.

I will respectfully disagree with you on all hydraulic lifter actuated H.D. powered machines, who lack the characteristic "hiss" of solid lifters, and have a massive R&D department to quieten down the piston thrash. I will give a reluctant nod to bone stock H.D. powered machine with stock muffler equipement. Unfortunately these are so rare among the throng of unmuffled H.D. BLATT going around they are ignored. The fact  that H.D. are building this kind of engine that has everything to do with marketing, and that Moto Guzzi at this point builds their 90 degree v-twin because they have to, unable to find the money to re-tool, is the huge difference between the two makers. Such was the case with the old English twins.

I do appologize for my issues on your comment. I have gotten so jaded by the throng of "weekend warriors" astride their "hey look at me" noise machines, I have trouble giving anything with a 45 degree v-twin anything but a head shaking giggle. I've ridden virtually every Buell made, outside of the old cast iron powered 1200rr's or whatever they were called, and every H.D.. I've given them every chance [test riding every one of their models since day 1 proves that], and I'm afraid I just don't get it. The Porsche designed V-Rod engine I have alot of respect for, but it is virtually characterless, in the same family as a Kawasaki Vulcan, or a Honda Shadow, with a bit more power.

Ciao, Steve G.

89733[/snapback]

EXACTLY.

I dont mind some noise and I can somewhat appreciate the harley sound when muffled. It is the open pipes that so many have opted for that I find irritating on the street. Gives us all a black eye.

Many of the same idiots who complain about loud Harleys then buy one when they hit midlife crisis and proceed to make theirs even louder than the one that used to piss them off when they were "family men."

It doesn't have to make sense. It simply is what people do, barring draconian laws to prevent it. Just accept it and go on with your lives.

I like middle of the road pipes, stock has to go and straights are rediculous, FBF fits this well, for harley(if/when I get one) I think I'll look into Vance and Hines I used to have those on my old Suzuki and they were real nice.

Loud pipes MAY save lives if you rev'em good b4 someone is about to turn into you on the freeway and push the horn and swerve out of the way and maybe hit the brakes, ya know but the pipes were part of it right? nothing to do with actual skill and defensive driving just the pipes Well I think I'll get pipes coming out everyside of my bike then, That way I'll never die

LesBikesm.jpg