V11 Sport coming back to life

dhansen

Hi All.

I've just been messing around with a V11 Sport that I've inherited from a friend who passed away. He had the bike for 3 or 4 years and rode it very little. Although he was very sick he still went out into the garage and ran it just for the noise and the feel. Life is cruel sometimes but this little Guzzi sure did make my friend smile.

He is gone now and the bike is living in my garage. I fired it up this morning and started trying to figure out what I'll need to do to get it back up and going. Turns out it only wanted to run on one cylinder so I went right off for new plugs and fresh gas. Plugs and fresh fuel don't seem to have helped. Every once and awhile it will hit on both cylinders but not for long. Lots of popping and misfiring.

Can anyone think of any simple things I'm missing? Not sure if it is a fuel or spark problem. Fuel filter maybe? Clogged injector?

At this point I don't even know if it is a 2000 or 2001 model. It has aftermarket mufflers (I think) and an aftermarket ignition module. (Don't remember the name on the box right now). Bodywork is silver, engine is silver and the frame is red. There are 8000 miles on the clock.

I'm hoping to do all my own wrench work if possible. I've had a few bikes in my 53 years but this is my first FI machine and first Guzzi. Eventually I'll get some tech manuals but I thought I'd try here first to see what happens. No big rush as it will be several weeks before the title can be transfered.

Funny how conflicted I feel............. I'm excited to have this beauty but sad to think of why it came my way. It is a long, complicated story for sure.

TIA, Dennis in maine.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been messing around with a V11 Sport that I've inherited from a friend who passed away. He had the bike for 3 or 4 years and rode it very little... He is gone now and the bike is living in my garage....Turns out it only wanted to run on one cylinder so I went right off for new plugs and fresh gas. Plugs and fresh fuel don't seem to have helped. Every once and awhile it will hit on both cylinders but not for long. Lots of popping and misfiring.

Can anyone think of any simple things I'm missing? Not sure if it is a fuel or spark problem. Fuel filter maybe? Clogged injector? ... It has aftermarket mufflers (I think) and an aftermarket ignition module.... I've had a few bikes in my 53 years but this is my first FI machine and first Guzzi. ...Funny how conflicted I feel............. I'm excited to have this beauty but sad to think of why it came my way.

90520[/snapback]

First off, did it come w/ the original cans? I need more victims^H^H^H^H^H^H^H, er, material for my diabolical experiments! [old thread on modifying the stock cans, look it up... ;) ]

I'm no expert, but it's almost guaranteed that the injectors are clogged from disuse. Best recommendation I can make is to go out & buy 3 bottles of Techroline (toluene would work dandy, but since our govt. fears us, that stuff's hard to come by anymore... :glare: ) dump'em in the tank, and proceed to ride around WFO. Why? Because unlike a carbeurator, where riding down a steep hill w/ the throttle completely closed being your best way to get solvent (in this case, fresh gas w/ a whole bunch of detergent) thru the fuel circuits w/ the smallest holes, with FI the nozzle is the same for fast or slow running, so the best way to clean those holes is to run as much solvent thru them as possible, which is when the throttle is pegged. If you have to do this in 1st gear while getting the groceries at the store on the corner, or can do it in 6th while circling the local NASCAR oval, no matter.

Other than this crude method, I have no idea as to what's involved with cleaning the injectors. Does Guzzi even sell replacements? I have no clue. [but, that's been said of me about lots of things! :grin: ]

Congrats on your 1st Guzzi; & welcome to the fold!

Lastly, & this is most important: never, ever, ever be sad about how you got this bike while you're riding it! You can be as maudlin as you want when sitting in the garage staring at it's gorgeous paint scheme, or staring out the kitchen window, or whatever, but you owe it to your departed friend to enjoy the hell out of it when you're out riding! Don't let there be any conflicted emotions about that! When you're riding it, you should be living life WRIT LARGE, singing in your helmet, feeling like you're dancing down that twisty road the Bike likes best: this is why your friend bought it, that is why you ended up with it, and there can be no other thing to distract yourself with when riding it.

Ride on,

:bike:

First off, did it come w/ the original cans? I need more vic^H^H^H, er, material for my diabolical experiments! [old thread, look it up... ;) ]

Thanks for the good advice Skeeve.

As for the bike, sorry, no original cans. I'll see about locating some Techroline. Not sure it is available in the backwoods of Maine.

Dennis.

That is great advice you gave Skeeve.

As far as Techroline in the states its called Techron and is available at most any auto parts store. Techron is also an additive in the premium gasoline, available at Chevron gas stations. Enjoy the Guzzi dhansen.

Spark plug wires. Check 'em to make certain they're still seated. The bike was ruuning before and probably has only been moved. The only thing external that can affect one cylinder specifically are the spark plug wires. After that, should that not be the problem, report back and we'll throw our collective intelligence at it. :mg:

Skeeve sez.........

Best recommendation I can make is to go out & buy 3 bottles of Techroline (toluene would work dandy, but since our govt. fears us, that stuff's hard to come by anymore... :glare: ) dump'em in the tank, and proceed to ride around WFO.

So Skeeve, are you serious about loading up the tank with this stuff or to use it as per the instructions on the bottle? I got some at Wallyworld today.

Thanks, Dennis.

If that bikes been sitting for a long time I would drain the fuel tank & refill it with new gas. Btw they take 91 & up octane. I'll defer to the experts on the mechanical stuff. Check the throttle body hoses that connect to the heads. Make sure the rubber is in good condition & didnt come off on the side thats not firing.

Spark plug wires. Check 'em to make certain they're still seated. The bike was ruuning before and probably has only been moved. The only thing external that can affect one cylinder specifically are the spark plug wires. After that, should that not be the problem, report back and we'll throw our collective intelligence at it.  :mg:

90540[/snapback]

Hi All.

I've been pretty busy so I haven't spent much time with the bike. I did put some Techron in the fuel but because the bike still isn't registered, I'm reluctant to ride it around very much. I've put about 10 miles on it since adding the Techron with no apparent change.

I did pull the plug on the offending cylinder and, carefully grounding it, spun the motor over. Seems to be getting good spark.

Another MG fan suggested disconnecting the PC III to see if the problem might be there. I did and got a curious result. The bike fired right up and almost instantly started picking up revs and within just a couple of seconds was going through 5k for 6 before I hit the key and killed it. I never touched the throttle either. I plugged the PC III back in and it returned to its old self. The over-rev incident happened so fast I really can't remember if it was missing or running on both!

So thats it for now. Maybe this weekend I'll investigate under the tank.

Thanks, Dennis in Maine.

Hi All.

I've been pretty busy so I haven't spent much time with the bike. I did put some Techron in the fuel but because the bike still isn't registered, I'm reluctant to ride it around very much. I've put about 10 miles on it since adding the Techron with no apparent change.

I did pull the plug on the offending cylinder and, carefully grounding it, spun the motor over. Seems to be getting good spark.

Another MG fan suggested disconnecting the PC III to see if the problem might be there. I did and got a curious result. The bike fired right up and almost instantly started picking up revs and within just a couple of seconds was going through 5k for 6 before I hit the key and killed it. I never touched the throttle either. I plugged the PC III back in and it returned to its old self. The over-rev incident happened so fast I really can't remember if it was missing or running on both!

So thats it for now. Maybe this weekend I'll investigate under the tank.

Thanks, Dennis in Maine.

91018[/snapback]

There seems to be a theme starting on these Power Commanders. That theme is that they can be problematic, not just on V11's but on many bikes who's owners I've talked to.

I'd rip the friggen thing out!!

Ciao, Steve G.

Guest ratchethack
Another MG fan suggested disconnecting the PC III to see if the problem might be there. I did and got a curious result. The bike fired right up and almost instantly started picking up revs and within just a couple of seconds was going through 5k for 6 before I hit the key and killed it. I never touched the throttle either.

Dennis, there's NO POSSIBILITY that your motor could fire up and reach 5 or 6K without the throttles (probably both) being substantially open. With the throttles closed, this is simply impossible, regardless of any conceivable spark or fuel supply condition. I have to suspect from what you've said that you've got problems related to your throttle linkage.

As for ripping the PC III out, there's nothing in what you've described that implicates the PC III. FWIW, while not 100% foolproof - and what electronic device is?! -- historically they have a remarkably low failure rate backed by a highly credible, proven track record. I think only a few (possibly 2?) on this Forum in the last several years have ever had any kind of a failure. Keep in mind that if you hear about a failure (or even a suspected failure), it will be broadcast and spread through the grapevine like wildfire and magnified in perception far beyond reality. Unsubstantiated rumors can do great damage and become a great disservice to consumers and suppliers alike.

According the the West Coast Dynojet Rep and fellow Guzzisti Extraordinaire, who probably has more knowledge on PC III mapping for Guzzis than anyone on the planet, the PC III has

".0014% failure rate according to Dynojet U.S. (of their Worldwide database)."

If anyone thinks that there's any electronic device on any OEM Guzzi - or any other motorcycle - with a failure rate as low as this, I'd like to know what it is..... -_-

Dhansen, there's NO POSSIBILITY that your motor could fire up and reach 5 or 6K without the throttles (probably both) being substantially open. With the throttles closed, this is simply impossible, regardless of any conceivable spark or fuel supply condition. I have to suspect from what you've said that you've got problems related to your throttle linkage.

As for ripping the PC III out, there's nothing in what you've described that implicates the PC III.

Good point Ratch and sound logic but I didn't imagine it. I don't know what happened. I might pop the PCIII out and see if it happens again. It has never done the same with the PCIII installed. I will take a closer look at the throttle linkage.

I'm not knocking PCs. We just wanted to rule it out as a possible source of trouble.

Nothing like a good mystery.

Hey Ratch. Just noticed you are in the San Diego area. I grew up in the El Cajon, Santee, Jamul area. Been in Maine since 1978 though. Raced a little at Carlsbad and out in the desert. I miss SoCal at times......... like in the middle of january!

Say hi to the Pacific Ocean for me.

Dennis.

Guest ratchethack

EGAD! Now THERE'S some REAL CULTURE SHOCK!!!! Well, at least there's still an ocean not so far away - but now the sun comes up out of it instead of dropping into it!!! :wacko:

That'd mess me up sumthin' fierce..... :grin:

I might've seen you racing at Carlsbad back in the '80's?!?! :huh2:

EDIT: I reckon not, since you weren't here then..... :doh:

According the the West Coast Dynojet Rep and fellow Guzzisti Extraordinaire, who probably has more knowledge on PC III mapping for Guzzis than anyone on the planet, the PC III has

".0014% failure rate according to Dynojet U.S. (of their Worldwide database)."

If anyone thinks that there's any electronic device on any OEM Guzzi - or any other motorcycle - with a failure rate as low as this, I'd like to know what it is..... -_-

91022[/snapback]

Being one of the atleast two v11s to have the PCIII fail, I can only suggest that our fellow Guzzisti Extraordinaire was fed a lie or that most of the PCIII failures occurred on Guzzis and that the failure rate for other bikes is far lower than the 1.4 failures in one hundred thousand units. It could certainly be a fault with the Marelli 15M ECU, or the Guzzi wiring, that causes the PCIII failures.

That being said, PowerCommander has excellent customer technical support, especially our fellow Guzzisti, and they repaired mine promptly and at no cost other than one way shipping, when it was well past warranty.

FWIW, I suspect the Marelli 15M has a lower failure rate than the PCIII for Guzzi....but I could be wrong and they could all be sucking the life out of many of our batteries :o

As for the throttle linkage, make sure the cable is seated properly on the cam lever wheel thingy, and that the rod is attached to both throttle bodies.

Also make sure the rubber manifolds are not sliding off.

And what the heck, disconnect the PCIII until you figure out the problem