Laguna Seca '06

slug

Was there last year. The race was great, the traffic and crowd control was a friggin' amature show. 2hrs to get in, 5hrs to get out of the track, and I was on a bike. a duel purpose bike where we rode in the ditches to get in and out.

I've been going to WSB since before Fogarty, Slight, Edwards, etc. Never has it been so poorly run. Plus the new FIA mandated track 'improvements' have turned everything all rather sterile. No getting up close to the mechanics splitting an engine, swapping suspension. No more view of the last turn before home straight because of some big motherfuc%*#@ing paddock building.

I'll watch it on TV this year, from the Laverda rally!

I'll go again in a couple years to see if they at least have a handle on treating motorcyclists better than those in cars, seeing as it's a bike race!!

Ciao, Steve G.

Yeah, I heard it was a metric clusterf**k last year, but it sounds like they've sort of learned this lesson and have things planned out a bit better this year :huh2:

Then again, I'm not much for giant mob scenes and will always enjoy riding more than watching, so now I'm on the fence after going down to Bend last weekend and staying at McMenamin's (now that was a treat!) I'd forgotten how beautiful central Oregon is. I may just redo my plans and tour around central Oregon, Washingon and B.C. (maybe even hook up for a ride with with some of you wacky Canadians :))

My wife and I went last year and I'll echo Steves sentiments. The buildup within the infield effectively blocks viewing of the race. I didn't pay $85 each to watch the race on a big screen (well, yes I did too).

There's not a vista you can find at Laguna Seca to where you can see a quarter of the race now. 20 years ago, it was quite different.

Regardless of the improvements in traffic handling, I'll stay home and watch it on my own "big screen".

Ciao, :mg:

Didn't want to turn you right off your plans Slug. Certainly getting there is fun if you take the back roads. I've always found that the ride to a destination to be highlight, rather than the destination itself. And this will be the last time we in North America get to see/hear the big 1000cc engines, with a switch to the smaller engines next time.

I do concure with you on riding in Oregon though. I will be riding in the area in 3 weeks on a bike tour/pictorial for RoadRider magazine. After spending a few days in and around Yreka, Eureka, Happy Camp, the Lost Coast Highway, and of course the majestic Highway 36, a night in Bend we are planning will include brewpub sampling, as we will be staying just down the road from Deschutes Brewery. From Bend we will head northeast to the best riding in Cascadia, northeast Oregon, from Shaniko/Condon, to Enterprise/Joseph.

Ciao, Steve G.

Didn't want to turn you right off your plans Slug.

Actually, thank you for doing so. I've been hesitant from the get-go. Even if there are improvements at the track, I'd still be spending my precious little vacation time hurrying down to Monterey to watch people do something I'd rather be doing myself (well, much slower and on public roads :D ) and then race back up to Seattle to go back to work. I'd love to see the races in person someday, but the TV is fine for now. Plus, I just finished building the My15m and Optimizer and I'm not sure if I'll have everything dialed in to the point where I'll feel confident enough to travel that far from home...

a night in Bend we are planning will include brewpub sampling, as we will be staying just down the road from Deschutes Brewery.

91402[/snapback]

I strongly recommend that your night in Bend include an hour of soaking in McMenamin's Turkish style soaking pool and a pint of their Kolsch summer beer. Best thing you'll ever do after a long day of riding!

Cheers!

I was there last year. Rode in on Friday not too much of a problem. Sat and Sun took the bus in as my son drove us there.

You are right about the traffic which was alleviated somewhat by going to one of the bus stops and parking there.

The racing was really worth watching.

I recommend the whole weekend from that point of view.

They have completely redone traffic flow for this year with a specific bike entrance. Things should be better.

I have booked a campground and am taking an RV there this year to try to beat the system allbeit at a high cost for the RV!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

My wife bought me tickets for x-mas. What a doll!! :wub:

I have never been to Califonia so we are going for the week. I hope they have corrcted all the traffic problems sound like a mess last year.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to sit. When my wife bought the tickets all they had left was general admission for the grass.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

My wife bought me tickets for x-mas. What a doll!!  :wub:

I have never been to Califonia so we are going for the week. I hope they have corrcted all the traffic problems sound like a mess last year.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to sit. When my wife bought the tickets all they had left was general admission for the grass.

91412[/snapback]

Don't waste your money on a grand stand seat. You can see great racing from just about anywhere on the grass which is why this is such a great track. Take a couple of folding chair or a blanket to sit on and you will be fine.

[Actually, thank you for doing so. I've been hesitant from the get-go. ...

may i remind you that this will be the last time that we will have the opportunity to see the 900cc motogp bikes race for the rest of eternity in the US?